FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Editors for Python

jajarvin
I am using as an editor for my Python code idle.
Idle is not a handy editor.
I work in Linux-enviroment.
Are there a better editor for coding Python scripts?

Jaska
acobrotsen
Eclipse/Netbeans could do the job if your into IDE's. Any text editors could do the job i.e notepad, notepad++.
sysna
notepad ++ is the best editor i know but for linux distros like ubuntu it is not officially supported. so you have either to use np++ through wine in ubuntu or use other editors available for linux. i am using np++ is ubuntu using wine myself and recommend everyone to do this but if you don't want to use wine, there is a good editor named "SciTE" for linux distors that you can try, it has highlighting feature for many language which is very important but it is not as good as np++
spam
what's wrong with Idle? At least you know it will always be there...
thnn
Sublime Text is really nice for coding almost any language. It's not free, but you can use the evaluation version for as long as you like if you don't mind it nagging you every few saves.

Versions for Mac, Windows, and Linux so you can have the same text editor on any OS.

http://www.sublimetext.com/2

It can also use Mac OS TextMate plugins so that is a really handy feature.
Mr_Howl
Why not Vim or Emacs? I'm sure both have a plethora of plugins available for Python-specific tasks.
jajarvin
I found a simple but powerful Python editor:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pype/
PyPE (Python Programmer's Editor).

It is easy to use and It is all I need at moment.
draight
Gotta go with eclipse -- its an amazing tool and has built in debugger. I seriously don't know why people are hesitant about embracing the productivity boost provided by IDEs.

1) get eclipse
2) get the pydev plugin
3) make amazing things
jclives
spyder for those looking at scientific python
supowski
I'm surprised that PyDEV hasn't yet been mentioned.

List of all known IDEs - https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
And some voting on stackoverflow - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/81584/what-ide-to-use-for-python
jgsedi
I use PyCharm Community Edition for at least one year. I think the best IDE for Python i tested. Better than Stani's, Netbeans, VI, ...
ademta
There are many IDE's available on linux for python. I am also learning some python and am using geany which is a fast and lightweight IDE.
lkorba
Do you know any terminal editor that supports auto indent and syntax coloring other than vi or emacs?
decontaminatoR
I had this question also for me. But then I decided to use PyCharm Community Edetion, because LiClipse (my other favourite) wasn't really free, and it supports everything you need. You can also use Git or Subversion or anything other for Code-Revisioning. It also supports mutliple Python projects at the same time, and is actively developed. And that's why I use PyCharm.
katinka
I use Notepad++ on Windows and TextWrangler op my Mac. For some specific things I sometimes switch to Crimson Editor on a Windows PC.
test-webdev3
I use TextWrangler on my mac. Quite simple to setup and use, no problems yet.

I have tried UltraEdit and Komodo, but still prefer TW.
Gehr
sysna wrote:
notepad ++ is the best editor i know but for linux distros like ubuntu it is not officially supported. so you have either to use np++ through wine in ubuntu or use other editors available for linux. i am using np++ is ubuntu using wine myself and recommend everyone to do this but if you don't want to use wine, there is a good editor named "SciTE" for linux distors that you can try, it has highlighting feature for many language which is very important but it is not as good as np++

+1 here, Notepad++ is perfect. And it has frills!
yavuz
sublime text + jedi + Python Flake8 Lint combination is very good to write python on linux, in addition vim and some addons also very good solution for linux. I generally use sublime text 3 and sometimes use vim.
abhijitm
My stake is on Sublime too... Its one of the best editor you can pick in its class. Simple but at the same time Futuristic and Powerful.

Here are few features which I can recall right now:

* fully configurable
    * multiple cursor mode for quick code refactoring
    * built in build system for multiple languages - Python too.. Yay!
    * consistent and nice look and feel on all supported platforms - windows, mac, linux
    * distraction free mode - great for showing during live code sessions
    * pluggable plugin system
    * markdown support - great for writing your blogs!
    * etc... etc.. etc...

See the demo:

[/i]
vcmsxs
I use Emacs (for everything), jedi-mode and anaconda-mode
Petete
Gedit! Seriously, what do you need more? Very Happy Laughing