FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Internet memes

truespeed
Do you use them and what is your favourite?
deanhills
I love memes. They don't need to be specific ones. Just created one of my own:

Source: memegenerator.net
rebbicajackson
Now a days more then memes am addicted to troll faces !

Very Happy
Ankhanu
truespeed wrote:
Do you use them and what is your favourite?

I'm just a meme consumer, not a creator, but yeah, in general they're pretty fun. My favourites? I dunno, they all have their gems Wink

rebbicajackson wrote:
Now a days more then memes am addicted to troll faces !

Very Happy

Troll faces are memes.

deanhills wrote:
Just created one of my own...

That is a macro, not a meme. It's only a meme if it spreads. Transmission is an important part of what makes a meme a meme.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
That is a macro, not a meme. It's only a meme if it spreads. Transmission is an important part of what makes a meme a meme.

If you checked a little more careful you'd have seen I quoted the source of that meme. This is how it was made:

1. I took the photo from another Website
2. Used an online "meme" generator to get the photo approved for use
3. Once approved, wrote the text on it in the generator
4. And now it's here:
http://memegenerator.net/instance/28612885

As far as I can see it has been transmitted, is spreading and doing the rounds.
Ankhanu
I'll keep my eye open for it and its permutations Wink
truespeed
Even though the cats use different pictures aren't they still considered memes? A bit like the spiderman ones,different pictures used from the 1960s cartoon for comic effect.
Ankhanu
Cat memes are an existing thing, yes. There are different forms they take; there are memes that use a single image as their base, e.g. hipster kitty, or a saying with different images, and there are cat themed memes that make use of different images as their basis, e.g. caturday. The example that Dean is using could fall into the first category, if it catches on, though doesn't fall into the third category, there is potential with the first and second. He could be kicking off a meme that consistently uses the specific "cat spy" (which is a thing already, that's where the base image comes from), or it could kick of a "I tink I saw a..." meme, which could make consistent use of that image, or it could use different images while maintaining the quote.

Part of the problem with this specific macro becoming a meme is it's specificity; it means virtually nothing to anyone outside of Frihost, and, honestly, likely little to many Frihost users who aren't familiar with James007, and his relative absence in recent months/years. In most cases, macros become memes through some level of near universal appeal, and general applicability. From there, as they grow, they become more specialized in their audiences, with several branching groups of content... as such, there are macros within the meme that are absolutely hilarious to certain individuals, but completely overlooked as unfunny or uninteresting by everyone else (who likely find their niche within other branches of the meme).
standready
truespeed wrote:
Even though the cats use different

Care about what you say about 'cats'

Laughing
truespeed
Thanks for the explanation Ankhanu.

standready wrote:

Laughing

Cosmoslayer
Yao Ming still the best! XD
deanhills
standready wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Even though the cats use different

Laughing
AWESOME! One of my most favourite images .... the expression on the face is priceless. Only a cat can have an expression like that .... Very Happy
coolclay
I still don't really understand, what this meme thing is. So it has to spread you say, as in people copy and pasting it or printing it off and hanging it on their door. Are they typically supposed to be jokes, and make people laugh. Or can it be as simple as a photo with words. For example I don't know if anyone has heard of Despair.com and their Demotivator posters, but they gave me an idea to make my own. I don't know if it would be technically this meme thing but anyway. I think it's pretty funny.
Ankhanu
coolclay wrote:
I still don't really understand, what this meme thing is. So it has to spread you say, as in people copy and pasting it or printing it off and hanging it on their door. Are they typically supposed to be jokes, and make people laugh. Or can it be as simple as a photo with words.

A meme is an idea that is transmitted culturally and evolves over time with that transmission. It's a sociological analogue to genetic transfer. It's like genetics for non-instinctive behaviour. It's a concept developed by Dr. Richard Dawkins, and others, to explain how behaviour and culture are transmitted and evolve. It's somewhat accepted by most ethologists, but not universally accepted.

The idea of an internet meme is a somewhat dumbed down and restricted version of a meme... it's still an idea that's transmitted and evolves, but is generally restricted to some simple idea, often intended to be funny, but not necessarily so. Demotivational posters as a thing are an example of a meme, though an individual poster may not, itself, be one. Most internet memes are image macros, or sayings on images... though some are textual. Transmission and adoption are important aspects of the meme, but, so is change over time, whether it's a change in the format of the meme, the saying, or the contexts in which it is applied.
truespeed
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
AWESOME Truespeed!!!!! Dancing

OK this is how I feel sometimes when I'm posting there ....

truespeed
truespeed
Ankhanu
truespeed wrote:

Haha, beautiful Smile
coolclay
Great explanation I guess it makes sense now!
deanhills
They're both excellent Truespeed! Laughing

I tried and maybe because it's early hours can't come up with similar. Will try again tomorrow to reciprocate your effort.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
They're both excellent Truespeed! Laughing

I tried and maybe because it's early hours can't come up with similar. Will try again tomorrow to reciprocate your effort.

I am sure you will think of some good ones.

Another from me.

deanhills
That was another good one Truespeed! Laughing

OK here is mine now:

RosenCruz
Keep it going guys. I m having a nice laugh at work and people starting to think I m crazy.

I liked overly attached girlfriend meme lately. Nice jokes were hanging around Wink

Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Just created one of my own:

There ya go, you actually did!
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Keep it going guys. I m having a nice laugh at work and people starting to think I m crazy.

I liked overly attached girlfriend meme lately. Nice jokes were hanging around Wink

I noticed them too. They're quite hilarious.

I thought this one was a good one ...

truespeed
I love stalker girlfriend,though I couldn't think of a frihost version.

A somewhat ironic one.

_AVG_
Haha there are some awesome memes on this thread.

I forgot where I saw these but there are some awesome ones with pictures of Morpheus from the Matrix and Boromir from Lord of the Rings. I think the Morpheus ones all start with "What if I told you" and the Boromir ones start with "One simply does not". They're hilarious, especially for sci fi fantasy fans Laughing
Josso
Hahaha truespeed, nice one.

*someone posts something stupid in P&R*

deanhills
playfungames
I love these online memes. I generally read those which appear in social websites like reddit. I like those rage comics and the memes which feature the babies specifically. Like for eg. the success kid and the kid who looks wasted and has a full beer glass by his side.
deanhills
playfungames wrote:
and the kid who looks wasted and has a full beer glass by his side.
That's a really cute one!