FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Martial Arts

Insanity
Anyone do martial arts? I think it's very relaxing. I do karate from time to time, but I don't have enough time to do it consistently. I think it's a very good way to blow off steam and learn to defend yourself in case of emergencies.
darthrevan
Nope never learned it, though I do like watching some martial arts movies, in which my favorite martial artist is Jet Li. I use to want to learn a little, but now I am getting close to 30, so yeah I feel it is too late for me and not enough time either.
Guanko
Insanity wrote:
Anyone do martial arts? I think it's very relaxing. I do karate from time to time, but I don't have enough time to do it consistently. I think it's a very good way to blow off steam and learn to defend yourself in case of emergencies.

7 years Boxing & 3 years kickboxing, after the training i feel so refressed every though has gone...
Talib
Martial arts is one of the oldest sports in the world for which you have to do a lot of exercises to cross different belts (or levels) in Martial arts.
Ankhanu
Talib wrote:
Martial arts is one of the oldest sports in the world for which you have to do a lot of exercises to cross different belts (or levels) in Martial arts.

I think as sport, martial arts is relatively new. Martial arts was, as the name implies, a set of skills used for fighting... and the fighting was not for sport, it was for war, or otherwise defeating opponents. It was much later that they have come to be seen as sport, as violence has been less prevalent in society.
bluepig83
I use to do Tae Kwan Do in elementary school. Ended up all the way with a black belt, but then I stopped after that milestone. It was fun, and I think some of the mechanics stuck. But my flexibility is so terrible right now that I'm sure if I attempted a side kick, I'd end up pulling a groin or a calf muscle.
Insanity
It's interesting how (in my opinion), martial arts are rarely that effective at fighting anymore. There are some styles which can be useful, but for the most part, you can't really use what you've learned in say, a street fight. For something like that, you'd probably be better off learning something like boxing than tae kwon do.
BigGeek
I've done a few different styles of martial arts over my life time. Kempo, Tae Kwon Do, 2 different forms of Kung Fu, and 3 different forms of Silat. Thing is that you can use the forms or katas for an intense workout doing them fast and getting really physical while doing them. Or you can do them slowly like Tai Chi, focusing on breathing and accurate body movement. Or you can do them at a medium speed to warm up. They are very universal in their application no matter what Martial art the fighting form comes from. My instructor used to say, it takes a few hours to teach a student a form, it takes the rest of your life to master it.

Ever herd of Chi Kung?
grofet
When i was a kid i learn karate for several months. I quit because i don't have talent on it and i can't enjoy the training for some reasons. I have no talent on sports.
Simonjw
Martial Arts is one of the best forms of exercise and outside of the exercise portion it gives people the knowledge of respect and discipline.

So overall Martial Arts, at whatever level you do it or in which form you do it, it is a great thing to do and it gives you so many gains in life.

I do Krav Maga, which is a form of Martial Arts, but is based on many different forms of Martial Arts and incorporates a lot of the different forms into it. With conventional Martial Arts like Karate, Judo, Jujitsu and many others you are taught to defend yourself against one opponent at a time. Krav Maga on the other hand teaches you to defend yourself as well as your subject from more than one threat at a time. This may be just with your hands or using something at your disposal that you might have on you or be able to pick up around you. These things are such as a sweeping brush or even your mobile phone.

In Krav Maga we also teach how to disarm a person with any sort of weapon weather it is from a sidearm to a large automatic rifle to a sword or a knife. We also teach different scenarios of how you could be taken captive or how your life could be in danger in a robbery or something on those lines.

I also do MMA or formally known as Mixed Martial Arts or UFC Fighting.

So i would definitely tell anyone to take on any sort of Martial Art from the age of 6 upwards and no matter what type of person you are because people will respect you when you go no matter how good or of a novice you are at the Martial Arts you choose.

Smile
crazyfffan
I did attend a Karatedo class, when I was 23 years old. After about 2 months I realized that it was just too late for this old dog to learn new tricks. I wish I had learned it when I was young and my movements was not so stiff...
Simonjw
crazyfffan wrote:
I did attend a Karatedo class, when I was 23 years old. After about 2 months I realized that it was just too late for this old dog to learn new tricks. I wish I had learned it when I was young and my movements was not so stiff...

No ways Crazyfffan, you're never to old to learn anything. You have to have the interest to do it because if you don't have any interest, you will never get the dedication you need to follow through with something. You also need to remember, everyone has a different learning curve and some may learn faster than others. You should maybe try something like Tae Bo because it is a lot slower and can give you the movements you would need to then take up Karate, Judo or whatever you choose.

Don't give up on something in such a short period of time, at least 6 months in anything should be done and then if you have not learnt anything, it might not be for you. It is really daunting at first, it was for me when I started Gym, Rugby and even more so Martial Arts.

Give it another go mate and for a little longer this time Smile
cheapseeker
nunchuck
watersoul
I've been a student of Wing Chun Kung Fu for a few years now. Usually two nights a week at the gym with a few private lessons every now and then.
As a close quarter fighting system Wing Chun renders most kicks useless by closing the distance (range) at the first sign of conflict.
It is an anti grapple system which makes it very difficult for anyone to hold,manipulate,throw or takedown the practitioner.
Who wants to end up on the floor in a street fight anyway? The attackers friends can easily just stamp on your head.
It does not rely on one punch knockout power, rather it employs multiple strikes at speed and accuracy.
As Wing Chun is not a sport there are no targets which are off limits, with the main being the throat ,back of the head/neck ,collar bones ,ribs etc. We also do not employ any high kicks, wasted energy which can affect your balanced and stable fighting stance, ours are just low to knees and ankles, either to injure, or drop the opponent to the floor.

I'm not going to get into the tired old discussion of 'my martial art is better than yours' as whatever you practice yourself will always feel best to you. I will say though that any of the arts are helpful when dealing with a drunken untrained bar thug who's only tactic is the knockout hook punch or a lazy wrestle to the floor.
...it's also great excercise and can often help with personal discipline Wink
fuzzkaizer
i'm not too much into martial arts, but i'd enjoy watching sumo wrestling in japan or lucha libre wrestling in mexico. they both have very theatrical aspects, sort of a ritual, while, it seems to me, most martial arts are not meant to be theatrical at all, are they?
Duoiuoi_V
wow..so pro!
moncong
watersoul wrote:
I've been a student of Wing Chun Kung Fu for a few years now. Usually two nights a week at the gym with a few private lessons every now and then.
As a close quarter fighting system Wing Chun renders most kicks useless by closing the distance (range) at the first sign of conflict.
It is an anti grapple system which makes it very difficult for anyone to hold,manipulate,throw or takedown the practitioner.
Who wants to end up on the floor in a street fight anyway? The attackers friends can easily just stamp on your head.
It does not rely on one punch knockout power, rather it employs multiple strikes at speed and accuracy.
As Wing Chun is not a sport there are no targets which are off limits, with the main being the throat ,back of the head/neck ,collar bones ,ribs etc. We also do not employ any high kicks, wasted energy which can affect your balanced and stable fighting stance, ours are just low to knees and ankles, either to injure, or drop the opponent to the floor.

I'm not going to get into the tired old discussion of 'my martial art is better than yours' as whatever you practice yourself will always feel best to you. I will say though that any of the arts are helpful when dealing with a drunken untrained bar thug who's only tactic is the knockout hook punch or a lazy wrestle to the floor.
...it's also great excercise and can often help with personal discipline Wink

i love wingchun this martial art not waste much energy and effective.. i'll try this when there some dojo around here..

i was a student of taekwondo for about 3 years, and thats true.. kicking spending more energy and need good balance.. but the good for kick is faster to take down you rival if we did it right, and we can have safe distance
watersoul
I hope you find a local school moncong, I personally think Wing Chun is the superior fighting art with it's economy of motion and focused use of energy.
I repeat though, any trained fighting art skills are useful against drunk bar brawlers, regardless of the style taught.
tonberry
I used to train Choy Lee Fat for 4 years when I was a kid. Had to stop, because our coach started participating in tournaments frequently and people who were his substitutes were mediocre at best and for the money that my parents had to pay for it, it was not worth it (today after more than 15 years the monthly fee is similar).

A friend who was the best student in our class became very successful, he even won the gold medal in Wushu world championship. It could be seen from the start that he has talent and he spent every piece of free time training!
DesquisiadoMoral
I like Judo and Aikido Combat, just for practicing some sports. Though taekwondo seems interesting need a lot of flexibility which I don't have it. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
BigGeek
Wing Chun sounds similar to Silat in that it does not use high kicks, which is why when I ran into a Silat teacher in my 30's I took right to it. I too am not very flexible and a grappling art seemed better suited for me.

Silat is a grappling as well as fighting art, and it has a lot of disarm movements as well. I had been taking it for almost 10 years before it dawned on me one day that it is also a knife art, and all the forms can easily be practiced with a knife and are quite suitable to using the knife in fighting.

I totally agree with Simonjw, you can learn martial arts and any age, it does not matter! The thing is to stay disciplined with it, and consistent. The same discipline that keeps you training and in shape practicing a martial art is the same discipline that carries over into life. The actual art you take is your own personal preference, and like Watersoul said it is senseless to argue which is better and why! All that matters is that you chose an art and stick with it and work at it.

As a weight lifter, martial artist, and cyclist, I tell people all the time - Fitness and health are not immediate gratification pursuits, doing them for a few months and expecting to reap the benefits is short sighted, especially with weight lifting. Too often people step into the gym, lift for 1 or 2 months and when they don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger they claim it isn't working and quit. Same with martial arts, they step into a class and when they realize they aren't Bruce Lee after a few months they quit. It took Arnold over 10 years and incredible dedication to build his physique, it took Bruce Lee most of his child hood and adult life to master martial arts and develop Jeet Kune Do. Fitness and Martial Arts are a life time commitment, once you decide on an direction, or art, dedicate your self to be in it for the long haul, because it is only after 10 years or more that you really begin to realize the benefits of what you are doing.

I can tell you that after 30 years of working out at age 55, you really realize the benefits especially when you look 20 years younger than the rest of the people your age, and can move like an athlete not a crippled up old man!! Cool
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:

I can tell you that after 30 years of working out at age 55, you really realize the benefits especially when you look 20 years younger than the rest of the people your age, and can move like an athlete not a crippled up old man!! Cool
Would be curious to know what your daily, weekly and monthly routine would be. Do you work out in the mornings, evenings, how do you fit it in a logical place in your life?
Iceaxe0410
Used to take Tang Soo Do and Shotokan. Both styles pretty similar if not basically the same. It's been years since I practiced any of them though. Sometimes I wonder if I can still fight. I never had a need to use it which is good, but I'm not as healthy as I used to be. I don't think I'd be able to take the strain anymore especially given that I have gout among other things. I do miss practicing.
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
BigGeek wrote:

Would be curious to know what your daily, weekly and monthly routine would be. Do you work out in the mornings, evenings, how do you fit it in a logical place in your life?

Routine you ask, mine is a bottle of whiskey and a bag of medical marijuana!

All kidding aside - Sunday thru Thursday morning I get up and foam roll, yoga stretch, and martial arts forms (or Kata's) slow like Tia Chi with deep breaths - total about 45 minutes to an hour.

Sunday Tuesday Thursday evening - warm up with forms fast pace, lift weights typical compound movements 8 to 12 rep range (Compound movements are bench press, push ups, dips, pull ups, lat pulls, rows, squats, leg presses, dead lifts (numerous variations). 10 minute warm up, about a half hour of lifting.

Monday and Wednesday evening - forms fast for 10 minutes, bike ride or hike half hour to 45 minutes.

As far as diet it goes like this - I eat three meals a day with good lean proteins, plenty of veggies and fruit, Monday thru Thursday I eat no sugar, or starch carbs, only veggies and fruits, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I eat bread, potatoes, occasional soda pop (sprite or ginger ale), and if there is a party I will eat limited sweets and baked goods.....oh yeah and I love the micro brew beers we have in Colorado.

As far as diet goes it is easy to eat healthy once you get the pattern and food choices down, plus I've been doing it so long I no longer think much about it!!

So does that answer you question deanhills?
dude_xyx
I used to do Karate, GoJu Ryu for 10 years till I got this ankle injury. Doctors forbid me it for at least 10 years. Now I want to start again but not Karate but another art form called Aikido. I think it's really cool.
zimmer
Insanity wrote:

Yeah.. that is a good form of hobbies.
codersfriend
Anyone here tried arnis? Very Happy
tonberry
I have always wondered about Tai Chi. There are many stories about how powerful it once was for self-defense, but it is very hard to imagine it preparing anyone to defend himself against any form of physical attack.

Maybe the dedliest moves were hidden from the public at some point and only the slow motion ones were kept to fool us into thinking Tai Chi is useless in that department. And in the meantime, Shaolin is creating its secret Tai Chi army to conquer the world and introduce its clenched fist of terror that will bring death and destruction to our daily lives. I bet my hand on that.