FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

December Goal - 5000 posts

deanhills
Would be great if we could make October a good month post wise. I'm hoping we can get to 4500 posts this month. Here are the stats for the last three months compared with last year.

Quote:
October 2012: 2554 (as at 19 Oct)
September 2012: 3423
August 2012: 3768
July 2012: 4141

December 2011: 5191
November 2011: 4889
October 2011: 5027
September 2011: 3710
August 2011: 4289
July 2011: 5154

Source: Frihost Post Statistics
standready
That is going to be hard push, Dean, considering 19 of 31 days are gone and still about two thousand. Of course with all 3 post spammers of late, we might make that number.
darthrevan
standready wrote:
That is going to be hard push, Dean, considering 19 of 31 days are gone and still about two thousand. Of course with all 3 post spammers of late, we might make that number.

I rather not count the spammers' posts, actual posts LOL. I hate spammers! They shouldn't be included as part of Frihost Smile
johans
deanhills wrote:
Would be great if we could make October a good month post wise. I'm hoping we can get to 4500 posts this month. Here are the stats for the last three months compared with last year.

Quote:
October 2012: 2554 (as at 19 Oct)
September 2012: 3423
August 2012: 3768
July 2012: 4141

December 2011: 5191
November 2011: 4889
October 2011: 5027
September 2011: 3710
August 2011: 4289
July 2011: 5154

Source: Frihost Post Statistics

I have notice the highest post was last year 2011. Is this means the number of developers or number users are frequent to visit to maintain posting..

Can some one identify how much have the highest number of post in the entire frihost history?
truespeed
It is interesting to note that the september count for 2011 was the only month that year that dropped below 4000 ,it was also the month that dean took a sabbatical away from frihost.

I don't think we will get 4500 this month,even with Deans help,a possible solution to getting more posts would be for the moderators to take a more active role in creating more topics,more topics mean more replies.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
It is interesting to note that the september count for 2011 was the only month that year that dropped below 4000 ,it was also the month that dean took a sabbatical away from frihost.

I don't think we will get 4500 this month,even with Deans help,a possible solution to getting more posts would be for the moderators to take a more active role in creating more topics,more topics mean more replies.

Yep and too bad there isn't something else that can be done to attract more people to come and post frequently too. I don't mean something that would cost Frihost more money and lose profits, in which could affect how long Frihost would be around. Some kind of "gimmick". Maybe some forum games?
truespeed
darthrevan wrote:

Yep and too bad there isn't something else that can be done to attract more people to come and post frequently too. I don't mean something that would cost Frihost more money and lose profits, in which could affect how long Frihost would be around. Some kind of "gimmick". Maybe some forum games?

Forum games have been in the pipeline for longer than I can remember,If they ever get off the ground I think they would probably increase the amount of users online,but I am not sure if they will increase post count.

The competitions were a good idea, but the only ones we had were essays,not many of the regulars joined in as essays take a lot of research,I remember they were pretty strict in their content too so the content didn't appeal to many either.

I don't know the answer,it is an ongoing theme on frihost,how to up the post count,what to do.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Forum games have been in the pipeline for longer than I can remember,If they ever get off the ground I think they would probably increase the amount of users online,but I am not sure if they will increase post count.

The competitions were a good idea, but the only ones we had were essays,not many of the regulars joined in as essays take a lot of research,I remember they were pretty strict in their content too so the content didn't appeal to many either.

I don't know the answer,it is an ongoing theme on frihost,how to up the post count,what to do.

I personally don't write long posts and such, so writing an essay wouldn't be something that I necessarily want to do. The only essays I did was in school and I didn't like doing them then either Smile
codemaster
Post wise we have been doing kinda poorly but not that bad. I think we should try to hold a good post number until the end of the year that is truly a goal. I'll will be posting and trying to get somethings done and getting my stuff done and ready for next year and trying to basicly to restore my activity here.
truespeed
darthrevan wrote:

I personally don't write long posts and such, so writing an essay wouldn't be something that I necessarily want to do. The only essays I did was in school and I didn't like doing them then either Smile

I wouldn't mind doing an essay if it was something I am interested in,if it's something I know nothing about and have to do a lot of reading up and research,then I really wouldn't bother,not for the price of a domain anyway.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I'm beginning to think more kindly of those spammers now. Twisted Evil

Just joking. Laughing

@Johans. Last year we were actually working to get those high numbers. Lots of thanks to Ghostrider at the time, as Ghostrider took the lead and spent some of his coins to write to the golden oldie members to return to Frihost. There were a number of them that returned for about three months or so, and some much longer than that. Ghostrider also posted his heart out then. So was more like a team effort then, than my individual effort.

I remember particularly Blaster - a golden oldie returning and when he posts, it's like high quality energy floating right through the Board. Would be nice if for example he could pay us a visit, even just for a few sessions. There were a couple of others like him as well, reminiscing about the past in a thread in this Sub-Forum. Loads of fun, and loads of fun usually attract many more posts.

@Truespeed. I think 4500 is maybe a little steep, but 4000 should be doable. Maybe 4200 at a stretch. 4500 if something special could be done like Ghostrider did last year.
sudipbanerjee
Why the number of post is decreasing in 2012 compared to 2011?
deanhills
Probably because people aren't making as many posts as they did before ..... Laughing

Seriously, we probably need a few masters of ceremonies, like Ghostrider and Blaster last year for example at this time. Not tell or ask people to post more, but just create an environment with fun threads where people can't hold themselves back with posting.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:

Not tell or ask people to post more, but just create an environment with fun threads where people can't hold themselves back with posting.

I agree with this,it just needs a few firestarters so to speak,to ignite discussion and debate.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Not tell or ask people to post more, but just create an environment with fun threads where people can't hold themselves back with posting.

I agree with this,it just needs a few firestarters so to speak,to ignite discussion and debate.

Heh. Maybe we will have some posts to pop up that everyone wants to discuss. I am not a great topic starter, though I do start one sometimes, like Ubuntu 12.10 was released yesterday so I announced it to the forum. Though surprisingly nobody responded, I figured I would get some replies to it.
RosenCruz
Kind of a hard target. I regularly post around 10/day
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
I've noticed. Just reminded me. I've got to look at the logo project. If not today, maybe tomorrow.
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:

I wish I knew how many posts I do in a day. I believe I do more than 10 on average. Maybe twentyish if I am not stretching it.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
I've noticed. Just reminded me. I've got to look at the logo project. If not today, maybe tomorrow.

Ehehe. Thanks. Cant wait for yours and cybersa's. May be I will use them both in a rotation Smile
Cosmoslayer
And mine will remain just a wish. LOL
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Ehehe. Thanks. Cant wait for yours and cybersa's. May be I will use them both in a rotation Smile
I dunno, Cybersa's may be better. Very Happy
william
Honestly, a variety of topics and energy floating around the forums, as you mentioned, are what we really need. Back when this was a really active forum we had fewer incentives provided by Frihost itself. The hosting wasn't as good as it is right now and we didn't have the ability to earn domains. However, just the sheer number of active posters and variety of topics meant that anyone could post several times a day out of leisure (instead of simply keeping points up). Frihost was fun and there were several interesting members enjoying it with you. There was a sense of community creating a chill environment where we could just hang out. The moderators shared the fun, too, and so long as you didn't blatantly break the reasonable rules, all was well. Sure, the amazing hosting features pulled me in, but the community made me stay (my site hasn't had any real updates since 2006).

These days, free web hosting has lost popularity, so we can attribute some of the loss in activity to that. But let's not forget, other forums offer nothing in return. Yet, thanks to treasure troves of knowledge and a relatively active base, these forums have managed to only rise in activity. I guess it also doesn't help that Frihost is a general forum, which for the most part don't seem to have as much activity as more subject-focused forums.

Also, I have nothing against Frihost, don't get me wrong. I still recommend them to others, I still think they're the best free webhost around, and I had great times in the forums over the years. But the sense of fun in the community has dissipated, and I can unfortunately find this fun on other forums I'm active on. I know I've hinted at this before, but hostilty here is greater than it used to be, and the members responsible don't seem to realize it. It doesn't affect me (mostly because I avoid those posts), but I can completely see how it would turn-off new users.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'd be thrilled to see Frihost regain the activity it once had. So, I have a suggestion. How about we make highly informative posts about a variety of topics? Perhaps intricately explain some scientific concepts in the science sections, post build logs in amazing projects, write tutorials for the scripting sections, share personal experiences in the travel section, etc. In other words, make Frihost into a treasure trove of knowledge that will be found not by searches for free web hosting, but searches for specific queries. That's how I ended up on most forums, and it always pleases me when I type a topic into Google and Frihost is the first result. That might trigger people to join and then discuss the topics that interest them.

I know I haven't been very helpful in keeping the post count up, but I'll try to devote a bit more effort in the coming months.
coolclay
Maybe a large part of the inactivity is that the younger generation, which I feel like made up the bulk of our membership have grown up, gotten full time jobs, have less free time and don't care so much about forum posting anymore. The new generation of youngsters I feel like spend most of their time either texting, or social media crap.
Just a hypothesis.

Anyway, I think we can get our posts up, if we put in a team effort. It seems all the forums I am an active member in have been declining exponentially this year.
deanhills
Think you've said it well Coolclay, just the way it is. Must say some of the writing I see coming from the "younger" generation you mentioned is quite something too. No caps and punctuation, and plenty of Internet acronyms. Must come from all of those special new phones. Am relieved that it has not quite reached Frihost to that depth and extent yet. I like reading great posts and there are thankfully plenty still to be found here.
darthrevan
@deanhills I sometimes will use acronyms, though I try to do less on here, maybe because in some sense, if you use shorter words you get less points and I try to get more points when I can. Though I may not always write out the word in case I am in a hurry or just want to do a quick post
inuyasha
That is an extraordinary target! Shocked Eleven days left for October now. How is it going?

By the way, the topic seems changed. Very Happy People here talks about inactivity.
Perhaps that's also because there are more members who speaks English as a second language. Just a guess. No statistics. It may be a little hard for some of them to post in English.
Honestly, I myself look up new words in the dictionary frequently and google some phrases or expressions to confirm it's grammatically correct while posting and usually need to edit my posts after it's posted to correct some grammar or spell mistakes. Wink In a way I just look on posting here as a good way to improve my English, or perhaps simply not to lose the ability to speak it. Laughing
darthrevan
I doubt we are gonna hit the target, if we do we will be lucky. Maybe our posts will eventually go up in time.
RosenCruz
Attracting new members seems to be essential. What is the reason of low forum activity? Hosting is cheap nowadays ? I do not know. Something to be discussed, I guess Rolling Eyes
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
Attracting new members seems to be essential. What is the reason of low forum activity? Hosting is cheap nowadays ? I do not know. Something to be discussed, I guess Rolling Eyes

Possibly as you said, paid hosting is getting cheaper. May be also that people don't have as much time as well.
RosenCruz
May be we should have a particular thread to collect suggestions about keeping the interest high on Frihost. I believe there will be plenty of useful ideas
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
May be we should have a particular thread to collect suggestions about keeping the interest high on Frihost. I believe there will be plenty of useful ideas
Definitely! No shortage of those around.
Qantas94Heavy
It's sad to think about most of the younger generation nowadays – don't even bother to spell correctly? I wonder if they do the same in class... Most of them nowadays can't even spell (or are too lazy to spell) the word know – it is not spelt like in the following sentence: "i no u r so crp, gtg se ppl hu r nt shit lik u"! Note: I am from the younger generation myself, not some really old person who likes annoying kids for a living. You can tell this by the fact that I can still read this tiny writing without corrective lens for my eyes.

Back on topic though, I think the best way to bring some attention to Frihost is to have "lessons" where people can share their information and teach new people the world of website creation. If they have been taught initially by people who are friendly and are always around, they are much more likely (in turn) to stay around and continue the cycle. Publicising that there are always more people to help out is also important. If it became more active, I think that a special "last updated" for this section would stand out, with also the times of the last reply (so that it is obvious that it is very active).
deanhills
Qantas94Heavy wrote:

Back on topic though, I think the best way to bring some attention to Frihost is to have "lessons" where people can share their information and teach new people the world of website creation. If they have been taught initially by people who are friendly and are always around, they are much more likely (in turn) to stay around and continue the cycle. Publicising that there are always more people to help out is also important. If it became more active, I think that a special "last updated" for this section would stand out, with also the times of the last reply (so that it is obvious that it is very active).
Agreed. That's an EXCELLENT idea! We've got so many IT savvy people here and there is so much potential in sharing.

Just noticed we're now over the 3000 posts. 3142. So well on our way to beat last month's number, and who knows, 3500 posts look easy to achieve now. 23 October. 8 days to go.
darthrevan
Well I just added another post count Smile Well the idea of creating a tutorial or so to show how to make a site may be a good topic to start, and maybe people can post tips and such on it as well.
RosenCruz
I can try to help with creating tutorials and guides about some stuff. I also need some tutorials too. Learning and teaching at the same time will be useful for all, imho Wink
standready
johans wrote:
Can some one identify how much have the highest number of post in the entire frihost history?

I would have to deanhills, at least of current active members anyway. Blaster might be another if the "blast from past" reappears.
How can someone ID: look under their user name in a topic and see 'post #s" along with location. I think the member's directory also shows number of post.
Afaceinthematrix
Well so far this one post is responsible for 36 posts. 36 posts is 1/125 of your goal. So if we only had 124 more posts with this kind of response then we'd be set. It's a little depressing that we're setting a goal for 4,500 and that we have no real chance of getting there (I'm a pretty active poster but I will be going away for two weeks starting 24/10/2012) whereas in January 2006 we got 33,000 posts in one month.
darthrevan
Well on I think either the 30th or 31st, Assasin's Creed III comes out, so I will be playing that game for a while, so that means less activity for me. Though I will still be posting in between and on my breaks and lunches.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Well so far this one post is responsible for 36 posts. 36 posts is 1/125 of your goal. So if we only had 124 more posts with this kind of response then we'd be set. It's a little depressing that we're setting a goal for 4,500 and that we have no real chance of getting there (I'm a pretty active poster but I will be going away for two weeks starting 24/10/2012) whereas in January 2006 we got 33,000 posts in one month.
True. I remember at the beginning of this year (not sure but think it was then) when Peterssidan had his competition to identify old avatars, that I worked through discussions of that time. They were pretty amazing. Must have been exhausting for every one concerned as well though, particularly Bondings and the Mods, so maybe not something that would have been able to last forever.
RosenCruz
Why is the stats page hidden on Frihost? Or I cant see it? I have to check some members' sig to check latest stats Smile It must be somewhere. Grrrrrrrrr Razz
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Why is the stats page hidden on Frihost? Or I cant see it? I have to check some members' sig to check latest stats Smile It must be somewhere. Grrrrrrrrr Razz
I don't think it is. Bondings provided us with a link in one of the posting number threads I think about a year or more ago. That's why I put it in my signature, so I don't have to go and dig it up in the Forum all of the time.

I probably should have been able to memorize it by now however .....

post_statistics.php

Sort of dead easy, one would think.
vicar013
Qantas94Heavy wrote:
...Most of them nowadays can't even spell (or are too lazy to spell) the word know – it is not spelt like in the following sentence: "i no u r so crp, gtg se ppl hu r nt shit lik u"! Note: I am from the younger generation myself, not some really old person who likes annoying kids for a living. You can tell this by the fact that I can still read this tiny writing without corrective lens for my eyes.

You pesky youngsters wiv yr 20/20 vision and devious ideas! Keep them font sizes at default or I'll don my rubber pants, slippers, get my nice blanket, forget where my pipe is and trip over my pubic beard, and then... where was i going with this?

More posts, aye. Less muthaflipping spamsters though, one of my faves 'Movies and Television' is rife with spambots. Or it could be them pesky young'n's, with their Jimmy Saville bashing and dismantling the welfare system
Josso
What's all this eh? Laughing I was 14 when I signed up to Frihost.

4500 POSTS COME ON PEOPLE.

moar referrals needed

Quote:
Or it could be them pesky young'n's, with their Jimmy Saville bashing and dismantling the welfare system

lol, wtf blud etc
deanhills
Well we're at least four posts away from September's count. So 8 days more, could almost make it.
deanhills
Great stuff sisinavio. Looks as though we're creeping towards 3600. 6 days to go. Very Happy
darthrevan
well as of now with this post of mine we are at 3771, so I don't think we are going to be too bad, though I doubt we will make this goal. We will probably be lucky to hit 3900 since it is currently the 26th of October.
Peterssidan
We have made 3818 posts in 26 days. 31*3818/26=4552 so the goal is very much possible.
RosenCruz
The goal should be to reach this target, contributed from a lot of users. Many similar faces post each day. We need different people Wink
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
The goal should be to reach this target, contributed from a lot of users. Many similar faces post each day. We need different people Wink

Yeah I usually see the same people post:-)
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
We have made 3818 posts in 26 days. 31*3818/26=4552 so the goal is very much possible.
Agreed. We're almost at 4000 and 6 days to go.
taytay
I dunno if we can accomplish that... Although I am contributing better now that I'm trying to be Legitly active in the forum and not just bare minimum to keep my account alive by making 5 point blog posts... I never felt justified doing that anyway. So i'm here for reals now! makin a difference in the friworld!
darthrevan
Well I may have doubted us too much, I thought we'd be lucky to get 3900 posts but well we are nearly at 4000 like deanhills said, I say we should be happy we are fairly close to this goal.
Afaceinthematrix
I highly doubt that we will reach your goal but we will still have our best month since may! I think that I post quite a bit yet our best month in a while - May - I was out of town and didn't post a single thing! That proves that this is a group effort!
deanhills
Right. We've just made 4000, 4015 at the time of writing this post. Looks as though we'll definitely beat the highest post count since June - 4137. Awesome! Very Happy
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Right. We've just made 4000, 4015 at the time of writing this post. Looks as though we'll definitely beat the highest post count since June - 4137. Awesome! Very Happy

Yep just maybe we will do better than some months.
Peterssidan
Note that the stats page is not updated in real time which can make it look worse than it is. I still think we can make it. We just need to make 128 posts per day on average in the 4 days that's left of the month. That is below the month average of the days before which is 147 posts per day.
RosenCruz
Yes I believe this target is more reachable now Wink
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
Yes I believe this target is more reachable now Wink

Yep it defiantly seems more feasibile than it was earlier this month.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Note that the stats page is not updated in real time which can make it look worse than it is. I still think we can make it. We just need to make 128 posts per day on average in the 4 days that's left of the month. That is below the month average of the days before which is 147 posts per day.
I noticed it this morning too, when I checked the stats page before I started to post, and then when I refreshed it at the end of the posting session the number was still the same.

I agree. There is still a chance we can make it.
standready
deanhills wrote:
There is still a chance we can make it.

Come on spammers. Do your part! Laughing
darthrevan
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

We shouldn't hope yucky spammers makes our target to become reached. I don't count spammers as part of the community.
RosenCruz
darthrevan wrote:
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

We shouldn't hope yucky spammers makes our target to become reached. I don't count spammers as part of the community.

I m sure he was just kidding. Date is almost there. Hopefully we can make it Wink Very Happy
deanhills
Right! 4260 posts and two more days ago. Would be VERY interesting if we end at 4500 right on the dot.

NAH ...... Twisted Evil
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
Right! 4260 posts and two more days ago. Would be VERY interesting if we end at 4500 right on the dot.

NAH ...... Twisted Evil

dean is very ambitious about this Cool
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
deanhills wrote:

NAH ...... Twisted Evil

dean is very ambitious about this Cool

It sounds like it, I think I have added somewhere over or near 300 posts this month:-) , since I just joined Sept. 21st. Well even if we are off of this goal, it isn't going to be nearly as much as I thought it would be Very Happy

Currently I am posting a good bit today, also have just gotten the title "FriHoster" a moment ago Very Happy. At the time of this post we are at 4353, so yeah this isn't bad at all. Good luck!

Come on members, lets get this goal set in the sand, we are nearly there!
deanhills
Little less than a hundred to go. Now if all my wishes could go the same way as this one. Very Happy
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Little less than a hundred to go. Now if all my wishes could go the same way as this one. Very Happy

Heh. If you notice I am posting a lot today, and I don't know why. I guess it is just my posting day. Though I am about to play ACIII so I will be slowing down.
chartcentral
And we've reached quota! 4,525 posts and counting for October. deanhills's wish has been granted! Smile Cool
darthrevan
chartcentral wrote:
And we've reached quota! 4,525 posts and counting for October. deanhills's wish has been granted! Smile Cool

Yep I was about to say so as well. Just noticed it a second ago. Congrats everyone!
taytay
Hey we did it!!! Yay! Sorry for doubting you my frihost family :'(

Is a little depressing to see the taper off for the years stats have been kept track of. Probably due to the first users being excited about frihost, then loosing steam down to posts just to keep their accounts alive. I'm trying to make a real come back! I love frihost! It's been great to me over the years! I'ma pay my dues and be more active posting! (And I have more incentive that I can get a domain name! I hope that's still available...)
RosenCruz
Awesome work ! Thanks all ! Wink
deanhills
Great stuff! Congrats everybody, wow, we're over 4600 now. This makes me very happy. So what do you guys think our estimate should be for November? It was just over 4800 last November. So maybe 4800 should be doable? 5000 a bit high?
Josso
Woo! A GREAT VICTORY

November 5k
taytay
Josso wrote:
Woo! A GREAT VICTORY

November 5k

Runnin the 5k for november!! Yeeaahh!
chartcentral
Alright, let's go for 5,000 for November! Smile
deanhills
OK, looks like a consensus for 5,000 posts for November .... Very Happy
Peterssidan
5000 posts means we have to make 167 posts per day on average. We was only above that amount on 5 occasions in October, so it doesn't look easy, but not impossible. Especially not if darthrevan continue to post like crazy.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
5000 posts means we have to make 167 posts per day on average. We was only above that amount on 5 occasions in October, so it doesn't look easy, but not impossible. Especially not if darthrevan continue to post like crazy.
You're right. It's going to take out of the ordinary effort. Like Ghostrider did last year with getting some of the golden oldies like Blaster to make some posts. Wonder where Blaster is these days? Very Happy
darthrevan
Peterssidan wrote:

I will take that as a compliment , though I don't plan to go on posting frenzy it just happens sometimes though maybe I won't disappoint much next month either. Part of my posting frenzy was to get my rank to the next since i was getting close to the one I have now. Guess I will just have to focus on getting the next one now. Though there will be some slow times for me since I have the newest assassins creed to play now.

As soon as I got up I started posting and kept on through out the day. I wanna say I started around 350 or more and ended up yesterday with around 420 though I could be exaggerating, though idont know. I am probably going to suggest a feature of showing individual post statistics. I personally would like to know how many I did on certain days.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Great stuff! Congrats everybody, wow, we're over 4600 now. This makes me very happy. So what do you guys think our estimate should be for November? It was just over 4800 last November. So maybe 4800 should be doable? 5000 a bit high?

I think there is chance that file thousand might be do able, but of course we would need everyone's help to do so.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
You're right. It's going to take out of the ordinary effort. Like Ghostrider did last year with getting some of the golden oldies like Blaster to make some posts. Wonder where Blaster is these days? Very Happy

Yep I agree it will take even more effort but if there is more effort put in early in thwarting month we will probably get well over five thousand.

P.S. sorry for the extra post. I am on mobile phone so copying multiple quotes is a little much.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
P.S. sorry for the extra post. I am on mobile phone so copying multiple quotes is a little much.
Every body is posting from their mobile phones these days. Including Matrix from a far distance. Gotta say something about Frihost when that happens. Think I should at least try once to see what it feels like to post from a mobile phone. Wonder what mobile phone would provide the best Frihost experience. Aha! New thread coming on .... Very Happy
RosenCruz
5000 can be done if we start working, right TOMORROW ! Rolling Eyes
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
5000 can be done if we start working, right TOMORROW ! Rolling Eyes
Darn! I forgot it was not tomorrow yet .... Laughing
taytay
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Every body is posting from their mobile phones these days...

I've even been doing it during driving times for work! I cut grass and repair random things in homes, so I just sit in the truck and post on frihost, then hop out and work when i arrive. It's a nice setup Very Happy
Peterssidan
darthrevan wrote:
I will take that as a compliment , though I don't plan to go on posting frenzy it just happens sometimes though maybe I won't disappoint much next month either. Part of my posting frenzy was to get my rank to the next since i was getting close to the one I have now. Guess I will just have to focus on getting the next one now. Though there will be some slow times for me since I have the newest assassins creed to play now.

You don't have to come with excuses for not posting. If you have a new game you should of course play it. I can't really complain because you made more posts this month than I have done this entire year.
standready
RosenCruz wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I m sure he was just kidding. Date is almost there. Hopefully we can make it Wink Very Happy

Of course, I was kidding. But seriously, I just reported 4 spammers today (so far).
Well Dean, October succeeded - 4690 post. November has one less day and needs 310 more post than October.
RosenCruz
Quote:
November has one less day and needs 310 more post than October

Damn it guys you really are calculating stuff and working hard ! Laughing I appreciate the focus Smile I also wonder where Bondings is lately Smile
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Every body is posting from their mobile phones these days. Including Matrix from a far distance. Gotta say something about Frihost when that happens. Think I should at least try once to see what it feels like to post from a mobile phone. Wonder what mobile phone would provide the best Frihost experience. Aha! New thread coming on .... Very Happy

Posting from my phone isn't as easy as I wish it was because ofbthe screen size and that of course affects keyboard size yuck .
darthrevan
taytay wrote:
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Every body is posting from their mobile phones these days...

I've even been doing it during driving times for work! I cut grass and repair random things in homes, so I just sit in the truck and post on frihost, then hop out and work when i arrive. It's a nice setup Very Happy

Yeah I post on here with my phone when at work but not at home. So yeah we have that part in common.

At Peterssidan: Yeah I know I don't have to but I thought I would anyway. Atleast people would know I didn't just disappear lol.
deanhills
standready wrote:

Well Dean, October succeeded - 4690 post. November has one less day and needs 310 more post than October.
Right! We're up to 3 posts now. And SR kitty is counting .....

truespeed
My solution for upping the post count.

Get rid of all non active mods,non active as in not been active for the past 3 months.

Make the more active users into mods,lets face it mods need to be active so it makes sense to make the more active and sensible users into mods,this cuts down the spam and gets rid of one problem,also the new mods could be encouraged to participate in and start new and interesting discussions as part of their mod duties.

For a forum to grow it has to be lead from the top,it can't rely solely on the userbase.
chartcentral
So the final post count for October (except if some posts get deleted) is 4,751. That means we need to only post 249 more for this month. This is very achievable with everyone's help and cooperation. I hope I can keep up posting daily so I can do my part in hitting the target. Smile
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:

Get rid of all non active mods,non active as in not been active for the past 3 months.

Make the more active users into mods,lets face it mods need to be active so it makes sense to make the more active and sensible users into mods,this cuts down the spam and gets rid of one problem,also the new mods could be encouraged to participate in and start new and interesting discussions as part of their mod duties.

For a forum to grow it has to be lead from the top,it can't rely solely on the userbase.

I agree, I would suspect that spam reported doesn't get seen for nearly a week probably lol. Maybe exaggerating but I never see one online.

Also we are around 150 posts and this is in just in the first day, so maybe we will do great this month also.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:

Totally agreed and well said. For me it's a waste of available resources on the Board to have a list of inactive Moderators while there are very able people around who can help. But most of all, I'd love Frihost to install spam filters. I think if that can be done, having Mods without having them around would be OK as well.

Alternative to that, is employing spam generals out of the active posting members, who could remove spam through a click of button that goes to a spam quarantine database. Once removed it does not matter how long it takes for one of the Mods to sort those out. And if a post has been removed in error, easy to be rectified in quarantine.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Totally agreed and well said. For me it's a waste of available resources on the Board to have a list of inactive Moderators while there are very able people around who can help. But most of all, I'd love Frihost to install spam filters. I think if that can be done, having Mods without having them around would be OK as well.

Alternative to that, is employing spam generals out of the active posting members, who could remove spam through a click of button that goes to a spam quarantine database. Once removed it does not matter how long it takes for one of the Mods to sort those out. And if a post has been removed in error, easy to be rectified in quarantine.

The spam generals sounds like a good idea. Sign me up LOL Smile
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
The spam generals sounds like a good idea. Sign me up LOL Smile
Ah well, dream on Dean Hills .... ! Laughing
RosenCruz
yes some users with special thread removing abilities could be fine. this is a way to get rid of spam Wink
darthrevan
Yeah something needs to be done about spammers and well it seems there is a lack of protection in two ways
darthrevan
Well we are now over a thousand posts already Smile

RosenCruz wrote:
yes some users with special thread removing abilities could be fine. this is a way to get rid of spam Wink

Should we put this as a suggestion in the Suggestion forum?
standready
deanhills wrote:
And SR kitty is counting .....

Thanks for the laugh, Dean! I needed that.

darthrevan wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Can't think of a better place for a suggestion to be seen! So Yes!
deanhills
standready wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Can't think of a better place for a suggestion to be seen! So Yes!
I second that! Smile

Nice to see we're over the thousand posts. Day seven has just started, so good innings.
RosenCruz
darthrevan wrote:
Well we are now over a thousand posts already Smile

RosenCruz wrote:

Why not. I believe that idea could be useful against spammers Rolling Eyes
cybersa
RosenCruz wrote:

Good Idea.
Like active user or daily users.
I vote for deanhills.
deanhills
cybersa wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Good Idea.
I vote for deanhills.
Thanks! Laughing I think there are a number of other daily users like me who probably would give their eye teeth to get rid of the pesky spam posts.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
cybersa wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Good Idea.
I vote for deanhills.
Thanks! Laughing I think there are a number of other daily users like me who probably would give their eye teeth to get rid of the pesky spam posts.

yep and people who hate spam with a passion. Like me *wink* I am here nearly everyday and quite often.
darthrevan
Well it almost seems we are slowing down on the amount of posts we are doing.
chartcentral
1,700+ posts in 10 days. I say we're on target so let's keep going at it! Smile
deanhills
True. We're doing great right now. Yet a bit of a slow down too. But so far so good! Very Happy
darthrevan
Yeah maybe we are still Atleast on target if not more.
Josso
Darth you've got some crazy post average going down at the moment congrats. I declare that you win 50 coins

Going for sage, requesting feature to sage threads when I get to 3k Laughing

jk
deanhills
Aha .... slowly but surely getting to 2000 .... Day 11. Not shabby at all. Very Happy
darthrevan
Josso wrote:
Darth you've got some crazy post average going down at the moment congrats. I declare that you win 50 coins

Going for sage, requesting feature to sage threads when I get to 3k Laughing

jk

Well thank you Smile I do try and post a decent amount, especially since we have a new goal and see topics that I am interested in at times. Also nearly at six hundred posts within less than three months heh.
deanhills
Congratulations Darth. Well done! Cool
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Congratulations Darth. Well done! Cool

thank you dean. Maybe we will have another good month though it seems we will and possibly go over the goal.
deanhills
Looks as though we've just cleared 2000 posts. Good innings! Cool
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:

Yep we are getting close to our goal already, atleast to ne this early in the month.
cybersa
deanhills wrote:

But we need to increase posting rate.
Because already 13 days passed.
darthrevan
[quote="cybersa"]
deanhills wrote:

But we need to increase posting rate.
Because already 13 days passed.[/quote

Well it would be great if the amount of posts were getting better but I think this many so far is bad. Though it does feels we had a high amount o posts during the beginning but is now slowing.
RosenCruz
We are doing well. Let's keep going ! Wink
Josso
yarly

Make sure to use referrals methinks
darthrevan
Josso wrote:
yarly

Make sure to use referrals methinks

Unfortunately I don't really have anyone to refer to. Whenever the subject comes up I try to.
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
We are doing well. Let's keep going ! Wink
Good advice! While the good is going the going is good! Laughing
truespeed
I wonder if this thread will one day reach 5000 posts.
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:

Possbiliy it will reach 5000 posts one day, especially if this thread is updated every month Very Happy
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Good question. Not doing that badly this far. Laughing
taytay
almost half there. We still got hope Very Happy
darthrevan
taytay wrote:

Yep we are still on our way to reaching this goal. Though it would be nice if we could come up with ideas to keep people posting.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
taytay wrote:

Yep we are still on our way to reaching this goal. Though it would be nice if we could come up with ideas to keep people posting.

Will try and sleep on it Darth. Sort of long past my sleeping time right now! Very Happy
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
taytay wrote:

Will try and sleep on it Darth. Sort of long past my sleeping time right now! Very Happy

Well get some sweet dreams and dream on it heh. I tend not to come up with good ideas.
darthrevan
inuyasha wrote:
That is an extraordinary target! Shocked Eleven days left for October now. How is it going?

By the way, the topic seems changed. Very Happy People here talks about inactivity.
Perhaps that's also because there are more members who speaks English as a second language. Just a guess. No statistics. It may be a little hard for some of them to post in English.
Honestly, I myself look up new words in the dictionary frequently and google some phrases or expressions to confirm it's grammatically correct while posting and usually need to edit my posts after it's posted to correct some grammar or spell mistakes. Wink In a way I just look on posting here as a good way to improve my English, or perhaps simply not to lose the ability to speak it. Laughing

Well your English seems to be good. I never thought your posts as not so English. Yeah this is a little off topic but I thought I would mention that. I think we are doing good on the amount of posts so far though hopefully it will improve.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Well your English seems to be good. I never thought your posts as not so English. Yeah this is a little off topic but I thought I would mention that. I think we are doing good on the amount of posts so far though hopefully it will improve.
I noticed that too. If we can get past 3000 I'd feel we're really on the way.
darthrevan
Yeah though I think we will atleast get the same amount of posts or more than last month.
Josso
darthrevan wrote:
inuyasha wrote:

Hey I'm English and I regularly check Google regarding my spelling and grammar - don't worrry about it, I appreciate the extra effort you have to go to in order to post on a (primarily) English speaking board. Also what darth said your English is a lot better than a good few people I have seen on these boards. I'm not sure if the inactivity is linked to foreign speakers, there is a lot of support unlike other international boards I have seen but I suppose it is hard for foreign users to create content if their native language is their only language due to less activity in the language forums. Sometimes I do sorta wish Frihost was just English only, no offence, however it would limit who could get hosting which would suck Sad
deanhills
I like the idea of separate language sub-forums like we have at Frihost. That at least gives those with a language other than English the opportunity to make posts in their own language. The Forums do however require lots of maintenance though. So guess they can only be restricted to a small number of languages. I think it is a great idea however.
darthrevan
Yep. We also had Mods that could speak/write/understand other languages so they would post in English and the other languages while monitoring their Language board. I don't think limiting this forum to only English speakers would be the solution. In reality, I think even if it was an only English forum, we would still end up with inactive members.

I guess maybe there needs to be a way to get them to participate more. Just not sure how to do so.
truespeed
I think sometimes the activity of frihost is compared unfairly to its peak of 2005-2006,3-4000 posts a month isn't that bad really.

I do think the forum is lacking leadership,in its heyday the mods were all active and there were many of them,the forum had an energy,it seems to have lost that over time,I do think the solution is making mods of the more active members,those who still have an appetite for frihost and want it to succeed and prosper.
standready
Almost half way there - post and days wise.
I appreciate the effort many of our secondary English language 'writers' make. I honestly don't think I could a second language.

@Dean, post those last trip pictures. Really give us something to comment on!!!
darthrevan
truespeed wrote:
I think sometimes the activity of frihost is compared unfairly to its peak of 2005-2006,3-4000 posts a month isn't that bad really.

I do think the forum is lacking leadership,in its heyday the mods were all active and there were many of them,the forum had an energy,it seems to have lost that over time,I do think the solution is making mods of the more active members,those who still have an appetite for frihost and want it to succeed and prosper.

Yeah I agree, removing spam tends to be slow if it ever gets remove, and seems like most Mods just don't come on. If I had my guess, since they are Mods they don't have to post to keep their hosting. Might be wrong, but that is a guess.
deanhills
standready wrote:
@Dean, post those last trip pictures. Really give us something to comment on!!!
I tried to get started on that two days ago. I got as far as copying them on my flash disk from my laptop for reworking them on my home computer and then got deviated by an AWIT. Otherwise I'd have already started on them. I've got to go to work to check up on things, but it's a public holiday here, so will try and start on that later in the day.
Josso
Ah, well, I'd be careful about those assumptions there I don't host here anymore and I am what would be considered at least active. Also some of the mods actually contribute some serious content in their posts, indi style as I like to call it
darthrevan
Josso wrote:
Ah, well, I'd be careful about those assumptions there I don't host here anymore and I am what would be considered at least active. Also some of the mods actually contribute some serious content in their posts, indi style as I like to call it

Well this is just my opinion, and a guess. I forum can go down hill if the staff isn't very active. If there is too many spammers and not enough activity from staff and members then the spammers will overrun us.
darthrevan
darthrevan wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Yeah I agree, removing spam tends to be slow if it ever gets remove, and seems like most Mods just don't come on. If I had my guess, since they are Mods they don't have to post to keep their hosting. Might be wrong, but that is a guess.

Also new members shouldn't be able to post links on this forum. Disable the ability to post links. Also keep them from even trying to cheat the filter by doing something like yahoo.com yahoo dot com and etc
darthrevan
Ugh we have a spammer currently posting and it is bothering me just watching the postings and can't do squat about it Evil or Very Mad
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Ugh we have a spammer currently posting and it is bothering me just watching the postings and can't do squat about it Evil or Very Mad
I've noticed him too. Had the same helpless feeling.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

It is awful not to be able to do something about it. I really don't like spammers!
standready
darthrevan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

It is awful not to be able to do something about it. I really don't like spammers!

That is what the 'X report' button and '-> report this user' are for. That helps the Mods anyway.
darthrevan
standready wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

That is what the 'X report' button and '-> report this user' are for. That helps the Mods anyway.

Yeah if a Mod comes online and see it. Sometimes I will still see the post I reported still on the forum some days ago or week or so.
deanhills
Looks as though we need 167 posts per day to get to 5000. We're at 165 posts a day now. So slightly under average.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Looks as though we need 167 posts per day to get to 5000. We're at 165 posts a day now. So slightly under average.

Well not too much off between 165 to 167 so that isn't bad at all. There will probably be days that are above that average needed.
truespeed
5000 will probably get reached,but posting on forums shouldn't be about targets,well not for the users anyway.
Ghost Rider103
truespeed wrote:
5000 will probably get reached,but posting on forums shouldn't be about targets,well not for the users anyway.

Right that is definitely something an Admin would be more worried about!

I think it's great though that the users also want to see big numbers and are pushing for it. Just goes to show how great some of the users in this community are. This is why I enjoy Frihost so much.

Keep at it though, I would love to see the site push bigger numbers each month. I just wish I had the time to help post more to reach these targets!
deanhills
We missed you this time round Ghost Rider. Remember how hard you had worked on it this time last year by getting the Golden Oldies to post again? Any chance you could get Blaster to make a guest appearance like you got him to do last year? Or any of the others who had re-joined after a period of time. Think Hammy was one, and then of course Vanilla got to stay. The Hammy's Interesting Thread of Interesting! was epic.
darthrevan
Well what do you think now. Will we get the amount of posts this time, i would say maybe over four thousand but probably not five thousand.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Well what do you think now. Will we get the amount of posts this time, i would say maybe over four thousand but probably not five thousand.
Agreed. We've been slacking off over the last few days, and are now well below the 167 posts per day that we need to get to 5000. We're at 162 rounded off average up for 20 days.
Peterssidan
There is still much time left today so you can't take day 20 into consideration yet. The average of the first 19 days of the month is almost 166 posts per day so we are very close to the target.
darthrevan
I know I have been slacking here as well. Been playing with my Android phone like it is the first time of getting it LOL
andro_king
RosenCruz wrote:

Yes i support this !
RosenCruz
Ahh how about a huge forum archiving???? To archive old, non-valid discussions, clean forums.

Also some categories can be merged for a better index and first impression when logging in. I believe there are too many categories with very little activity. Similar ones can be archived. An archive forum for each category is also recommend. Since 200x's so much have changed and many discussions are just dead Rolling Eyes
truespeed
RosenCruz wrote:
Ahh how about a huge forum archiving???? To archive old, non-valid discussions, clean forums.

Also some categories can be merged for a better index and first impression when logging in. I believe there are too many categories with very little activity. Similar ones can be archived. An archive forum for each category is also recommend. Since 200x's so much have changed and many discussions are just dead Rolling Eyes

I don't agree about archiving,but reducing the amount of categories is a good idea.
RosenCruz
Quote:
Similar ones can be archived

Similar ones can be merged, was actually what I wanted to say Laughing
Josso
Can always merge inactive ones into general I think it's a good idea.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
There is still much time left today so you can't take day 20 into consideration yet. The average of the first 19 days of the month is almost 166 posts per day so we are very close to the target.
OK. That's great to hear, thanks Peterssidan. I've been slacking a little too, but mostly because there aren't as many posts to respond to as per usual.
deanhills
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
OK. That's great to hear, thanks Peterssidan. I've been slacking a little too, but mostly because there aren't as many posts to respond to as per usual.

Five days to go. We're almost at 4,000. Probably will get to it in the next hour or more. Have a feeling we're just going to miss 5,000. Maybe around 4800 tops. Hope I'm wrong however, as would really like to get to 5,000.
zaxacongrejo
ok lets do it but take care do not spam Very Happy
RosenCruz
Hmm we were all busy with black friday stuff Smile
chartcentral
I've actually slowed down in posting but I'm hoping that we would still be able to meet the 5000-post goal for November. 1000 posts and 6 days to go. Smile
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
We missed you this time round Ghost Rider. Remember how hard you had worked on it this time last year by getting the Golden Oldies to post again? Any chance you could get Blaster to make a guest appearance like you got him to do last year? Or any of the others who had re-joined after a period of time. Think Hammy was one, and then of course Vanilla got to stay. The Hammy's Interesting Thread of Interesting! was epic.

I don't recall getting Blasters attention. I think that was someone else.

Perhaps I could get Hammy to make an appearance. Maybe even Tidrug. Very Happy

Will see what I can do.

Edit: There is a LOT of work to be done to reach this goal over the next few days.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I don't recall getting Blasters attention. I think that was someone else.

Perhaps I could get Hammy to make an appearance. Maybe even Tidrug. Very Happy

Will see what I can do.

Edit: There is a LOT of work to be done to reach this goal over the next few days.
Would be great to get Hammy to make a guest appearance, if that is possible. And you're right, lots of work to get to 5,000 before Friday, not sure we are going to make it, but we'll give it a good try.
standready
Not there yet. The clock is ticking. Quick Dean post more photos from your trip or take another quick trip back to Cuenca to get me a hat. laugh
Peterssidan
188 posts on each of the three days that's left is what we need.
spinout
another post... Hah, I just suppose there is the easy math to this... take users times one point per day...
deanhills
The good part is that we'll definitely pass last month's number of 4515. Doubt however we're going to make 5000. Would be happy if we made 4800.
Ghost Rider103
standready wrote:
Not there yet. The clock is ticking. Quick Dean post more photos from your trip or take another quick trip back to Cuenca to get me a hat. laugh

Well it's quite possible to hit 200 post in a day, I'm sure it's possible to hit that a few times in a row.

Would take a lot of effort!
standready
Question??
Are the blogs and their replies included in the 'post' count or just forums? Curiosity is now killing the Catt!
darthrevan
Well it looks like we will have more posts than last month it seems, so it is a improvement.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Question??
Are the blogs and their replies included in the 'post' count or just forums? Curiosity is now killing the Catt!
As far as I know blog posts are included.
cybersa
darthrevan wrote:
Well it looks like we will have more posts than last month it seems, so it is a improvement.

Yeah.
Still one more day left. Wink
deanhills
I may be away most of the day, and it can be longer depending on how the Internet is in Oman.
Aredon
Honestly hate to be critical, but I think frihost could do with some new developments. We have a large community of programmers that we are yet to leverage for much of anything that truly helps the community. For instance, there is no mobile version of the forum. There exists no frihost android app, and no mobile friendly layout (at least that I know of). If you want more visitors and therefore posts. That would be the investment to make. Leverage your developers. Have an app building or mobile layout contest, and reap the rewards.
truespeed
Aredon wrote:
Honestly hate to be critical, but I think frihost could do with some new developments. We have a large community of programmers that we are yet to leverage for much of anything that truly helps the community. For instance, there is no mobile version of the forum. There exists no frihost android app, and no mobile friendly layout (at least that I know of). If you want more visitors and therefore posts. That would be the investment to make. Leverage your developers. Have an app building or mobile layout contest, and reap the rewards.

I agree with this,there is a lot of talent on frihost,and a lot of people more than willing to offer their time and talent to help frihost progress beyond the internet 2002,visiting frihost for new users must feel like a step back in time.
zaxacongrejo
november is about to finish how many post till now?
deanhills
4720 posts at 12:30 p.m. (GMT+4) on 30 November. I was thinking we would make 4800, may be more than that now. Cool
Peterssidan
If this month have had 31 days we would have made 5000 posts easily.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
If this month have had 31 days we would have made 5000 posts easily.
Agreed. We're almost at 4800 though. Am happy with that.
RosenCruz
It has been a nice month !
cybersa
RosenCruz wrote:
It has been a nice month !

After a six month long,we are going to achieve a ~4800 Posts once again. Smile
zaxacongrejo
im back hm i guess we will hit the 5000
Josso
Damn you gregorian calendar!! Laughing
saratdear
So let's start December with a goal for 6000 posts, shall we? Or should we keep it at a modest 5500?

I won't be able to stick around till the end of December, though. College starts in the middle.
zaxacongrejo
we dont know yet the november result please inform us about
deanhills
4895 for November. Not bad at all. Peterssidan was right. If we had had one extra day for November, we'd have made it to 5000.

OK, what do you guys think the number will be for December 2012? Or should we make it a contest?
zaxacongrejo
grr i haven’t been here last weekend loll
to answer to that i will need to find my statistics again do you know where they are located?
saratdear
You can just click on your username in any of your posts.
cybersa
deanhills wrote:
4895 for November. Not bad at all. Peterssidan was right. If we had had one extra day for November, we'd have made it to 5000.

OK, what do you guys think the number will be for December 2012? Or should we make it a contest?

I think it should be 5500.
RosenCruz
cybersa wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Oh that is kind of hard target. I ll do my best though. Lets change the thread, NOW ! Laughing
zaxacongrejo
Back oh im around 18 posts a day so i believe 6000 for December can be more achievable
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
cybersa wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Oh that is kind of hard target. I ll do my best though. Lets change the thread, NOW ! Laughing
OK will do. In the meanwhile my wish for December for this thread is above 5000.
mathiaus
What's the fascination with posts per month? I'd rather be seeing a small number of interesting to me topics with a good level of participation that thousands of posts I can't relate or respond to. Don't these targets just promote spam as well?
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:
What's the fascination with posts per month? I'd rather be seeing a small number of interesting to me topics with a good level of participation that thousands of posts I can't relate or respond to. Don't these targets just promote spam as well?
I'd say the requirement to make a certain number of posts every day to get and to keep one's Website space, is probably more conducive to spam posts than those trying to get the numbers up. People who usually make spam posts, will continue to make spam posts, and those who like to post quality will continue to post quality. The more topics that are available, even if they were not that great to start off with, the more quality opportunities one would get for quality posters.
GuidanceReader
I guess this explains the 10 pages of new posts since I last visited. I know it's been a while since I'd come here (I was down to just over 1 point Embarassed ), but usually the most I've ever had is 3 new pages...

It's giving me a lot to wade through and get my post count up though! Thanks! I get more inspired to come and post when there's activity. I hope to be able to help get to the December goal!
RosenCruz
GuidanceReader wrote:
I guess this explains the 10 pages of new posts since I last visited. I know it's been a while since I'd come here (I was down to just over 1 point Embarassed ), but usually the most I've ever had is 3 new pages...

It's giving me a lot to wade through and get my post count up though! Thanks! I get more inspired to come and post when there's activity. I hope to be able to help get to the December goal!

Great to hear stuff like that Wink
deanhills
Me too GuidanceReader. I like it when it's buzzing around here. It's wonderful to receive your positive feedback and always great to read your posts.
Cosmoslayer
Good luck! I know you can make it! Very Happy
deanhills
Plenty of posts today and "faces" I haven't seen for a while. So am very optimistic we will make it.
chartcentral
Got very busy for the past several days but now am back and hoping to post regularly again, which would contribute to reach the 5,000-post goal this December. Let's do this! Smile
RosenCruz
We are going to do this, this month. I was not available for the weekend and now I m back and furious to post Smile
zaxacongrejo
theres a contest going on also
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
We are going to do this, this month. I was not available for the weekend and now I m back and furious to post Smile
Oh goodie .... sounds great!
standready
Dean, December sure has slumped. I guess everybody is to busy shopping!
deanhills
standready wrote:
Dean, December sure has slumped. I guess everybody is to busy shopping!
Looks that way. I had a feeling the posts would be less, but not to the extent of completely slumping. Looks as though 4000 would be quite an optimistic number of posts for this month as well. Have a feeling we're not going to reach it either.
RosenCruz
Actually I m one of those who are too busy. phD is getting hard on me and work too. I really have a few minutes to post each day. As you can compare by the length of my recent posts Crying or Very sad
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Actually I m one of those who are too busy. phD is getting hard on me and work too. I really have a few minutes to post each day. As you can compare by the length of my recent posts Crying or Very sad
It's probably a little off topic, but just curious, in what field are you doing your PhD?
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
It's probably a little off topic, but just curious, in what field are you doing your PhD?

Business Administration -----> Management & Organization
Ghost Rider103
Ouch, what a decline in posts.

Perhaps it is due to the holidays. I haven't been around much either for that specific reason.