FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it OK to clean the LCD with a eraser?

likeabreeze
I find that a eraser is effective in cleaning LCD screen, but I am wondering if it will damage the LCD.
And I tend to do it with great vigor when using the eraser, which I doubt will damage the screen.
actually, erasers really have a wide range of application.
many people use them to clean the PCI slot.
Have you ever tried that?
Is there any hidden danger in doing so?
Peterssidan
An eraser? You mean the same thing as a rubber? Isn't it a bit hard to be used to clean LCD screens? I thought they were fragile. And I think the rubber will leave a layer of itself on the surface witch is probably even harder to remove than the initial dust.
likeabreeze
Peterssidan wrote:
An eraser? You mean the same thing as a rubber? Isn't it a bit hard to be used to clean LCD screens? I thought they were fragile. And I think the rubber will leave a layer of itself on the surface witch is probably even harder to remove than the initial dust.

yeah, by eraser I mean rubber.
but there are erasers that are very soft.
darthrevan
I wouldnt use a eraser on a lcd screen either. It is ok on the crt screens. I remember using eraser on a crt screen for some spots that were hard to clean. The lcd screens are too fragile for it.
cybersa
I don't think it is a good way.
Use any lcd cleaner.
xpcpro
You have a few opinions stating they wouldn't id have to agree with them. Id use wipes or spray and a lint free rag
badai
i use eraser on CRT and chip. but never on LCD or any other flat screen display. the pressure will damage the screen.
nepalstar
likeabreeze wrote:
I find that a eraser is effective in cleaning LCD screen, but I am wondering if it will damage the LCD.
And I tend to do it with great vigor when using the eraser, which I doubt will damage the screen.
actually, erasers really have a wide range of application.
many people use them to clean the PCI slot.
Have you ever tried that?
Is there any hidden danger in doing so?

I think Cleaning LCD screen with the Eraser may cause your screen damage...! by the way why you need to use Eraser to clean LCD Screen? While using eraser plz be careful...!
likeabreeze
nepalstar wrote:

by the way why you need to use Eraser to clean LCD Screen? While using eraser plz be careful...!

eraser is really effective in cleaning something sticky
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
nepalstar wrote:

by the way why you need to use Eraser to clean LCD Screen? While using eraser plz be careful...!

eraser is really effective in cleaning something sticky

It may be effective for sticky things but do NOT clean a lcd screen or similar with a eraser, unless you would like to buy another unit.
kmr_mukund
i think it is meaning less to clean lcd with eraser.bcoz eraser cant clean lcd well,because if anyone clean lcd with eraser then it could give pressure on the lcd,which cause damage of your lacd screen.
likeabreeze
kmr_mukund wrote:
i think it is meaning less to clean lcd with eraser.bcoz eraser cant clean lcd well,because if anyone clean lcd with eraser then it could give pressure on the lcd,which cause damage of your lacd screen.

well, that's just what I am most worried about.
RosenCruz
Just use a clean napkin with some cologne on it. Not very wet.
codemaster
Napkins can leave little particles behind so heres what you do : Take a cloth , wet it just a bit and carefully wipe the LCD. It works for me everytime.
william
I've had napkins cause minor surface scratches before. I wouldn't recommend them since they are a bit too coarse for an LCD screen. I generally just use a clean microfiber cloth damped in a little bit of water. I also use some compressed air for the edges to remove dust.

To the original poster, I would hesitate in using an eraser. I've seen once LCD that someone poked with mild pressure and you can still see a mark. So an eraser certainly poses a risk for damage. Also, what do you do about eraser shavings? Just blow them off?
LxGoodies
Better use lens wipe

http://www.bluewondercloth.com/catalog/item/151206/9050.htm#image_1
milkshake01
Probably not, an eraser would leave a mark on screens which are unsightly.
slimviking
darthrevan wrote:
I wouldnt use a eraser on a lcd screen either. It is ok on the crt screens. I remember using eraser on a crt screen for some spots that were hard to clean. The lcd screens are too fragile for it.

Very Happy CRT screens are indeed indestructible.
The screen is glass, resilient to almost any chemical and very hard to scratch.
All those lcd screens are prone to get damaged even during most simple maintenance, like dust removing.
zaxacongrejo
this can only be a jooke
do you wash you hands with knifes? if you do, so the eraser will do the trick
appsapps
Even the softest erasers are abrasive. Cleaning your lcd screen with one is not that different than using sand paper. And you wouldn't do that, for obvious reasons.