FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook privacy issue

Da Rossa
Hi, I posted this in here and not under the software forum because this ipor um acaso great public interest and Facebook is not a proper "software", but a website, so please, feel free to move it if I really posted wrongfully.

The thing is, a while ago Facebook has implemented the lousy timeline, along with the "map". Very nice feature: it tells everyone where your cell phone has been, which means, you. Very useful for the kidnappers.

So, I could manage, I don't recall how, to prevent Facebook from getting updates from my iPhone's GPS, so it wouldn't feed the map any longer. Still, there are 3 or 4 spots which I still can't remove, one of them is my place. Other is my college.
I won't get any new locations but these three are the most important ones and I think will be there forever, since Facebook doesn't make it easy for us to circumvent some unwanted features. I used to fear Google a little, but I think Facebook is a major concern.

How to remove the f@$%$%$#@ing map?? Mad
Thanks! [/quote]
Marcuzzo
I used to have the facebook app installed on my droid and I removed it.
apart from gathering, stealing and selling your personal information, the application kept updating and the next version was worse then the last one, at the end my phone was no longer able to run the application without crashing.
one of these days I'm going to let go of facebook
RosenCruz
I closed my facebook account. Kind of a solution. I started to hate them and their privacy hunger
darthrevan
Yeah i defiantly don't trust Facebook either. I think their privacy issue is worse than Google and that is bad. I don't really is Facebook other than to use the chat feature in which I don't even sign into Facebook for that. I use Pidgin application for that and my other instant messaging services.

I wouldnt doubt that going public with their stock option made them even more desperate for your information and others.

If it wasn't for my friends using it, I wouldn't bother with it. I don't like companies that sells their consumers out.
deanhills
I've never bought into Facebook. Only registered because another Forum where I am used Facebook to promote the Forum. I also am not a Google fan either.
xpcpro
I will fall to guilt and state i do use, for advertisement. for my website. I have found many nice pages dealing with computers / sites / gfx / etc.. and i post my info and make a lot of sells I prob made over 5k last year from just Facebook.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
I've never bought into Facebook. Only registered because another Forum where I am used Facebook to promote the Forum. I also am not a Google fan either.

Are you just not a fan of Google and use it or just don't use it? I don't trust Google a lot but probably would trust it more than Facebook.
If you use a different search engine what do you use?
deanhills
I don't trust Google, but I do respect it as it is of course in the business to make money and it is very good at it. I particularly don't trust its bots to mine personal information, i.e. tracking all of my accounts.

I've used Yahoo for many years. If Yahoo does not have what I want I then opt for Google. Of the two I think Google is the better search engine. Both faster and the results that come up are better organized.

I'm hoping that Google may get a competitor one day that is both worthy of the competition and on the side of privacy. Not sure whether that is possible, as the information Google is mining is probably the reason for its success.
_AVG_
Even though I don't use Facebook that much I still have an account. It's only useful insofar as keeping in touch with old school friends and relatives is concerned.
However I am dissatisfied with recent changes to their overall policies. I have to constantly be on my guard and check my privacy options regularly to make sure my profile is not public. One more thing I get irritated about is searching for myself on Google and seeing my Facebook page as one of the first results. Is there any way to avoid that?
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
I don't trust Google, but I do respect it as it is of course in the business to make money and it is very good at it. I particularly don't trust its bots to mine personal information, i.e. tracking all of my accounts.

I've used Yahoo for many years. If Yahoo does not have what I want I then opt for Google. Of the two I think Google is the better search engine. Both faster and the results that come up are better organized.

I'm hoping that Google may get a competitor one day that is both worthy of the competition and on the side of privacy. Not sure whether that is possible, as the information Google is mining is probably the reason for its success.

Have you tried duckduckgo.com they don't track you or sell ur info
RosenCruz
It was all fake. Me inside facebook was also fake. Do not know why. I closed it. Now I feel much better saving time for my projects while around the PC Razz
Cosmoslayer
I use Facebook for communication only with friends and schoolmates. I have my real information there but don't post any pics. Very Happy
deanhills
Cosmoslayer wrote:
I use Facebook for communication only with friends and schoolmates. I have my real information there but don't post any pics. Very Happy
Probably not good to have your real information there though. Guess that is what people in this thread have been talking about. Their bad experiences with Facebook mining their real information. If your experience has been OK though, I guess no worries then.
rx9876
deanhills wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Probably not good to have your real information there though. Guess that is what people in this thread have been talking about. Their bad experiences with Facebook mining their real information. If your experience has been OK though, I guess no worries then.

There are rumors that any app on facebook can access user's message,
since many users do not read the agreement carefully before using.

Lots people lost their privacy information, and even facebook account password.
After the leaking of information, lot criminal cases happened, for example, credit card fraud and micropayment fraud.

The users have to pay attention to protect our self, especially the facebook does not care any user.
Da Rossa
So, any ideas on removing the map or is this just the way it has to be?
manfer
I have never trusted any online website just from its very beggining so I never shared personal data with any of those monsters, nor facebook nor google, nor any other of course. And from facebook this was a year or two after they started on the US when they started spreading and being popularized worldwide. I would share with them at most my name (nor surnames, only name) and all the rest that they consider mandatory filled with false data.

They anyway always manage how to gather from us as much personal information they can. For example google asking for phone numbers to validate accounts, so if you want to have an account with them you have to give them phone number, and if you don't do it they continue asking and asking and asking. The phone number is meant to prevent spammers from creating lots of accounts, but... I don't trust google anyway and I hate to be forced to give them a phone number.

Really I only share personal information when I'm forced too. And not just online.
rx9876
I registered a google account recently.
Google did not require a phone number, and it can be share by multi-account.

Facebook requires phone number and it must not be used by another account.
GuidanceReader
I try not to put any information that isn't already publicly accessible (or that I don't care if the world knew about) on my Facebook. I use it primarily to run my business but also to keep tabs on all my friends Wink
watersoul
I just block location data being broadcast from my android phone and that seems to work pretty well while dealing with fbook. I don't really care that much though to be honest, I'm more concerned about potential threats from 'real life' blokes I might encounter in shady lanes on a walk home from a night out!
...it all boils down to the 'real' world when looking at any particular threats, and advertising your location isn't particularly sensible but doesnt require anymore vigilance than any other walk home in the dark in the night. Posting your attendance at certain 'events' is an advert for burgulars perhaps but if your 'friends' are all people who you know in 'real' life then there's no more potential risk than meeting an aquaintance in town and saying "I'm going X or Y place at the weekend in my opinion.

Fbook is just a means of communication, as any other (including face to face) it's always sensible to consider wisely who you share that information with.
Da Rossa
I see but, even not updating my locations anymore, there is still the map with the locations it saved when active... and I still can't take it away Sad