FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

European Union wins Nobel Peace Prize - share your thoughts

metalfreek
The European Union won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for its historic role in uniting the continent in an award meant as a morale boost for the bloc as it struggles to resolve its debt crisis, Reuters said.

The EU has been a key in transforming Europe "from a continent of wars to a continent of peace," Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in announcing the award in Oslo.

"This is a message to Europe to do everything they can to secure what they've achieved and move forward," Jagland said, saying it was a reminder of what would be lost "if the union is allowed to collapse".

He praised the 27-nation EU for rebuilding after World War Two and for its role in spreading stability after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall.

The prize, worth $1.2 million, will be presented in Oslo on December 10. The decision by the five-member panel, led by Jagland who is also Secretary-General of the Council of Europe, was unanimous.

EU won from a field of 231 candidates including Russian dissidents and religious leaders working for Muslim-Christian reconciliation.

Reuters said many Norwegians are bitterly opposed to the EU, seeing it as a threat to the sovereignty of nation states. "I find this absurd," the leader of Norway's anti-EU membership organization Heming Olaussen told NRK.

"In Latin America and other parts of the world they will view this quite differently than they will from Brussels. The union is a trade bloc that contributes to keeping many countries in poverty."

With worst possible economy in Europe right now, does EU deserved to win Nobel Peace Prize? I am from Asia so I really don't know what EU has done for the reason but I hope some members from this forum will shed some light on this matter.
deanhills
metalfreek wrote:
With worst possible economy in Europe right now, does EU deserved to win Nobel Peace Prize? I am from Asia so I really don't know what EU has done for the reason but I hope some members from this forum will shed some light on this matter.
I'd say giving the Nobel Peace Prize is a bit of a far fetch. Perhaps it was given more to keep Europe together than to let it fall apart because of the financial crisis. The little bit I've seen of its "peace" a great percentage of it is at the cost of billions of Euros that have been invested and spent, and lots of it went to multi-billion European conglomerates whose prosperity is directly linked to keeping Europe together.
Afaceinthematrix
I think that it is a joke and this is the main reason why I hate annual prizes or any prize/award given on a regular scheduled basis. If you can't find someone who truly deserves the Nobel Peace Prize this year then simply don't award it this year and give the prize money to a charity or organization that promotes world peace. Nobel Peace Prizes should be given based on merit and when it is decided that someone deserves it - not just because "it's that time of year again and so we have to come up with someone."
Peterssidan
The Nobel Peace Prize is a bit strange. It's the only Nobel price that is awarded in Norway and it seems like they try to make up for it by being a bit controversial, making choices that stands out, or gives it to persons or organizations in hope that they will do good for the piece and not for what they have done.
standready
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I think that it is a joke and this is the main reason why I hate annual prizes or any prize/award given on a regular scheduled basis.

I agree with you completely Matrix! I wonder how the 'EU' will distribute the prize money between the union countries? Do they give it all to Greece to help them?
metalfreek
Peterssidan wrote:
gives it to persons or organizations in hope that they will do good for the piece and not for what they have done.

Exactly true. Nobel prize given to obama was also not that good choice either. Does world lack some descent people who have given their lives for peace? I don't think so.
truespeed
To be fair it was only half a century ago that the European countries of the EU were killing each other in the millions,it is impressive that in such a short time they were able to set aside their historical differences and move on.
ocalhoun
Isn't it always given to one (or maybe just a few) individuals though?

Is there any precedent for giving it to an entire country/meta country?