FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How often do you hold a competition?

likeabreeze
At Frihost's homepage, we can see "Win one of our frequent competitions, where the prize is usually a free domain name".
Frequent?Really?
As far as I see, there is only three competitions, the latest of which started on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm.
Mmmm, I'm wondering are you going to hold these kind of competitions in the future?
I think there are many people waiting for it. Very Happy
ocalhoun
And something other than an essay competition! ^.^

It's difficult to drum up enthusiasm for essays.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
And something other than an essay competition! ^.^

It's difficult to drum up enthusiasm for essays.
Would be great if we could have a Frihost logo competition. Should be easy to do. And also since there are a number of Frihosters who are into games, maybe a game design competition?
likeabreeze
deanhills wrote:
Would be great if we could have a Frihost logo competition.

actually, i don't think Frihost need a logo.
The current website style is good.
truespeed
I think frihost needs competitions,just to up activity,and more importantly,to justify having that large competitions link at the top of the page.
Josso
MUSIC COMPETITION PLZ.

Also yeah generally agreed we need some competitions to increase post activity and incentives to sign up.
Qantas94Heavy
Josso wrote:
MUSIC COMPETITION PLZ.

Also yeah generally agreed we need some competitions to increase post activity and incentives to sign up.

There hasn't been a competition for ages, according to the link above the last one was held in April, 2011. I think that there should be a competition every 3 months, not exactly giving away but still often enough to keep people here. About the type of competition, I agree with the music idea - it's easier for people who haven't learnt English as their first language (not saying that is me though).
Peterssidan
I don't think it is very important if it's an official competition or not. Anyone can create a competition in the Contest forum. The only disadvantage I can see with not being an official competition is that
1. the prize will probably not be as good,
2. fewer people notice it.

For me (1) is not very important. If the competition is interesting in itself it doesn't have to have a prize at all. The feeling of being "best" is good enough.

Number (2) could be more of a problem. If no new posts are made in the thread there is a risk that it will be forgotten and missed by many users. When I was doing the Avatar Matching Contest I think it helped a lot that it got listed in the Featured Discussions.
deanhills
@Peterssidan. I agree to a certain extent, but at the end of the day a competition that is from the owner or delegated to staff will do much more for attracting posts than private competitions. The one that you ran for avatars, which in my opinion was one of the best competitions yet (relative to me), would have attracted a much wider participation if it had been run as an official competition.
Bondings
I have neglected the competitions indeed. I will try to continue with the essay competitions, together with competitions to cause more forum activity and other competitions that might attract more participation like creating pictures.
likeabreeze
Bondings wrote:
I have neglected the competitions indeed. I will try to continue with the essay competitions, together with competitions to cause more forum activity and other competitions that might attract more participation like creating pictures.

Bondings, thanks for your quick response!
This is one of the reasons why Frihost is popular, I think.
You neglected the competitions, but you never neglect users' feedback and suggestions!That's the most important thing!
deanhills
likeabreeze wrote:
You neglected the competitions, but you never neglect users' feedback and suggestions!That's the most important thing!
Well said, and right on the number as well!