FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Mozilla Thunderbird End of life?





zimmer
If you’re a user of Mozilla’s Thunderbird email client you may have heard that it's about to be killed.

The good news: That's not true. Mozilla will continue to provide security updates for enterprise users, and consumers for some time. As long as that's the case, there's no reason not to use it.

The bad news: You won’t be seeing new features. What's more, since the application itself is essentially frozen, the developers of add-ons, one of Thunderbird’s best features, will probably stop writing them.

As a long-time Thunderbird user I have to admit that I’m unhappy about this, but not terribly surprised. Mozilla, like many developer organizations, is focused on the mobile- and Web-based worlds these days, and to many people, a desktop client seems as up-to-date as a typewriter. While Thunderbird claims some 20 million users, Gmail has over 400 million, and millions more use other Web mail services.
Josso
zimmer wrote:
If you’re a user of Mozilla’s Thunderbird email client you may have heard that it's about to be killed.




zimmer wrote:
The good news: That's not true. Mozilla will continue to provide security updates for enterprise users, and consumers for some time. As long as that's the case, there's no reason not to use it.


Phewwwwww

zimmer wrote:
The bad news: You won’t be seeing new features. What's more, since the application itself is essentially frozen, the developers of add-ons, one of Thunderbird’s best features, will probably stop writing them.

As a long-time Thunderbird user I have to admit that I’m unhappy about this, but not terribly surprised. Mozilla, like many developer organizations, is focused on the mobile- and Web-based worlds these days, and to many people, a desktop client seems as up-to-date as a typewriter. While Thunderbird claims some 20 million users, Gmail has over 400 million, and millions more use other Web mail services.


I'm OK with this. Thunderbird has the features I want already.
Possum
I just installed it.. And was learning all its features and you tell me this Sad Sad


Wait a minute I Just updated it to 16 from 15.00 what ever
ocalhoun
One question: Why?


But, on the other hand, it's open source, right? So somebody else can take over it as long as they change the name or something.
darthrevan
ocalhoun wrote:
One question: Why?


But, on the other hand, it's open source, right? So somebody else can take over it as long as they change the name or something.


As long as it us open source, then yes. I can't believe they would want to kill the project,I am sure many people uses it.
cybersa
Two years back i used.
Really good client software.
Now i don't like to use it.
Because i have Gmail on my Android.

Is it replaced by any other?
dude_xyx
I hope someone else will be taken over the project and keep it going. It's a really good mail client.
Josso
cybersa wrote:
Two years back i used.
Really good client software.
Now i don't like to use it.
Because i have Gmail on my Android.

Is it replaced by any other?


Just out of curiosity why is that? Is it just a convenience thing
blueray
I heard about this news from a web site. At that time, I am not sure this is true or not.
It seems that the product will stop its development soon !

It looks like there are not more good offline email / news client these days.
Related topics
Gmail Invitations
Looking for MS Outlook Alternatives
Windows to Linux ( Vice Versa )
Use gmail space & features for any email addr
GMail
`Things to know for real Computer NOOB'
The Best Products of each year
Mozilla thunderbird, how can i...?
Mozilla Thunderbird
Is there a way to synchronize Thunderbird?(60 Frihs 4 you)
Thunderbird SMTP
How do you want to end your life
Kaspersky 2010 and Mozilla Thunderbird 3
Mozilla Thunderbird
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.