FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Site seems slow

darthrevan
I am unsure why, but I am using CMS made simple and when I update a file or login through CMSMS, it seems to take a little bit to respond. I don't want to sound like a complainer, I am grateful to be getting a free hosting account, but wish it didn't seem kinda sluggish.
deanhills
Just checked at 4:37 a.m. on GMT+4 hours (2:37 a.m. in Belgium). My site loaded perfectly and very fast. If there were a problem, maybe it corrected itself?
Peterssidan
Are you two really on the same server?

How much is a "little bit"? Is normal pages also slow to load/respond?
darthrevan
There is a chance that we are on a different server. I have noticed there is a difference in response if I was trying out Modx vs CMS made simple. CMSMS is a little more responsive. For example during the install process, at times I wondered if it was ever going to respond. I am not sure what is causing the lag.

P.S.
It seems that the actual site loads like it should, but the responsiveness of CMSMS on here is slower than expected. Like on my former host, it would be responsive and nearly load right then, but unsure why it is less responsive here.
zimmer
deanhills wrote:
Just checked at 4:37 a.m. on GMT+4 hours (2:37 a.m. in Belgium). My site loaded perfectly and very fast. If there were a problem, maybe it corrected itself?

Is time settings matters on the site speed loading?
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:

Yes we are - more or less. Those on Server 1 have been moved to the same location as those of Server 4. If I understand the announcement below correctly.
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-142137.html

I checked again at 11:16 (9:16 a.m. in Brussels), and all pages are working OK.
Qantas94Heavy
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

Yes we are - more or less. Those on Server 1 have been moved to the same location as those of Server 4. If I understand the announcement below correctly.
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-142137.html

I checked again at 11:16 (9:16 a.m. in Brussels), and all pages are working OK.

I think they have been moved to another server in the same data centre as Server 4 at least if my understanding is correct (presumably Server 1 would be faster than Server 4).

I'm not having issues with speed on Server 4, I have (heavyweight) Joomla CMS, Moodle, phpBB3 all on the same site as well as quite some imagery and it seems to be working fine (as of UTC 0758, 10 October 2012).
Bondings
@darthrevan, you are hosted on Server 4.

Currently the server load on Server 4 is pretty high (due to a combination of backups and tasks that were running at the same time), so maybe that is the problem. I'm currently working on the server fixing a backup problem (also causing the higher server load), afterwards the server load should be a lot lower, hopefully that will fix your issues. I also removed a high-load account, that should help too.

If it still isn't loading faster when the server load gets back to normal then other issues are probably causing it. In that case I'll check out your website/cms (maybe you can provide me a test account or page to check the issue).
darthrevan
@Bondings thanks for replying,I will give it time too see if it helps. Do you have a time frame for when it should be starting to improve?

I will try to remember, when I get home to setup a user account on cmsms for you, in case you need to test it.
cybersa
I faced some slowness before 10 minutes.
Now it was working well.
Thanks Bondings for your support.
Bondings
@darthrevan, I have no idea, but unfortunately not soon. The problem is that a directory that should not be backed up was backed up on the server and I'm trying to remove it now and it is taking ages. It is consisting of countless small files which are causing this long deletion time.

There is still one backup process running that is going to end soon, so part of the server load should be gone in an hour or so.

However normally this server load should only cause some slowness, but no big problems.
Bondings
The server load should be back to normal again. Could you please check if your site speed is better/normal now?
darthrevan
Bondings wrote:
The server load should be back to normal again. Could you please check if your site speed is better/normal now?

I will check when I get home thanks.
darthrevan
At first it seemed that there was some improvements, but still seems kinda sluggish at times.

I thought it improved but I started looking at the Module Manager under CMSMS and then it started becoming slow again
@Bondings Going to PM you some login info.

Also here is a image of errors that CMSMS gives me:

Maybe the above information could be part of the problem as well?
Bondings
I have received the login information and tested it out a few times. The admin backend loads fine and fast. However when I try to edit a file, it is indeed pretty slow to save the edit (at least most of the time). I have to say that this is a bit weird as the other pages load fast. Anyway, I'm going to try it out at other times, maybe I can find what is causing it.

About the errors, I don't think those should be a problem. The maximum execution time won't slow it down, the maximum post size affects big browser uploads (which are not a good idea usually anyway). The disable_functions are for security reasons disabled, but usually this should only remove some potential functionality, but not make it slower.
darthrevan
Bondings wrote:

About the errors, I don't think those should be a problem. The maximum execution time won't slow it down, the maximum post size affects big browser uploads (which are not a good idea usually anyway). The disable_functions are for security reasons disabled, but usually this should only remove some potential functionality, but not make it slower.

I understand the need for security Smile. I figured I would post that picture of those errors in case it would help figure out what is wrong with the speed. Yeah I don't understand why doing certain things goes slower than others.
Bondings
I just tested now and it is currently a lot faster to edit pages, pretty much normal speed. I hope it stays this way.
darthrevan
@Bondings Would it be possible to move my site to a different server, maybe one with less of a load. At times it still lags. I dunno why.
Bondings
darthrevan wrote:
@Bondings Would it be possible to move my site to a different server, maybe one with less of a load. At times it still lags. I dunno why.

I can move you to a different server, but you would get a different subdomain. However the server load is normally pretty low and hence I don't think this is due to the server load - the server is also pretty fast.