FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Episode and Season

Afaceinthematrix
Every single day when I go into General Chat I see the same exact spam messages... Every single day... One funny thing is that they almost always come in sets of three (except for right now there is a set of four). Has anyone else noticed that? You'll always see the spammer post three messages... A few days ago, there were three sets of three posts... It seems that spamming comes in sets of three. Sometimes I'll report all three and other times I'll just report one but in the comment section put something like, "All three of the posts from this spammer are spam..."

Furthermore, essentially every single one is something along the line of:

Quote:
Pamís hair was banginí! Thumbs up for the flat iron. Beyond that, I canít say it enough, I love this NCIS Season 10 Episode 3 side of Pam, the child, the sibling, the spouse, the confidante, the best buddy. In short, the only character who is able to take Eric to task when his actions jeopardize his own safety and, in this case, the connection between sire and progeny. Nan Flanagan on television calling out Russell as an extremist and a terrorist. The writers keep handing her zingers NCIS Season 10 Episode 3 wrapped in flawless logic. Will we see Nan and Steve Newlin go toe-to-toe again? Hereís to hoping. I wanted to love Samís flashback. But it was way too Lost for me. Swindler? Hot girl partner? Revenge killing? That said, I donít think I could take much more of Tommy taking the piss out of Sam. Iím a bit worried about Sam paying the abuses of his own past forward. But if weíre going to see Sam go down this path, it seems in keeping with Taraís journey. I like the metaphorical monsters just as much as the supes. I will, however, Sons of Anarchy Season 5 Episode 5 point to Six Feet Under and Davidís gay bashing storyline that signalled a dark spiral for that series. Worth it, all the way. But I canít help but think that weíre looking at the calm before a really big storm for both these characters.

They ALL have links to some website that will probably give you a virus and they are always about television show seasons. This might sound extreme but should Frihost block and message from appearing that contains the words "season" and "episode" (it has to have both words) from posters with less than 10 posts? It wouldn't be that difficult to implement and when you try posting something with those words it can just not put it into the MySql database and instead an error message comes up that explains the situation (so that if it just happens to be a real poster they know why there post won't come up) so that they know... Most people would understand but I doubt that it would ever even become an issue because, seriously, how many legitimate posts contain both words "season" and "episode"? A few in the movies and television forum but most discussion about a certain episode won't specify what season that episode is on and most discussions on seasons don't talk about a specific episode and so most posts won't contain both words...

BTW, I'm not putting this into the suggestions forum because I am not suggestion this. I just want to discuss if anyone thinks that it is a good idea or not and if enough people think that it's a good idea then we can formally suggest it in the suggestion forum.
darthrevan
I think it is a good idea, maybe up the requirement to be 15 ish, maybe the 10 is enough. I report those tpyes of posts every day. I wish I could delete and ban them myself Razz
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Every single day when I go into General Chat I see the same exact spam messages... Every single day... One funny thing is that they almost always come in sets of three (except for right now there is a set of four). Has anyone else noticed that? You'll always see the spammer post three messages... A few days ago, there were three sets of three posts... It seems that spamming comes in sets of three. Sometimes I'll report all three and other times I'll just report one but in the comment section put something like, "All three of the posts from this spammer are spam..."

Furthermore, essentially every single one is something along the line of:

Quote:
Pamís hair was banginí! Thumbs up for the flat iron. Beyond that, I canít say it enough, I love this NCIS Season 10 Episode 3 side of Pam, the child, the sibling, the spouse, the confidante, the best buddy. In short, the only character who is able to take Eric to task when his actions jeopardize his own safety and, in this case, the connection between sire and progeny. Nan Flanagan on television calling out Russell as an extremist and a terrorist. The writers keep handing her zingers NCIS Season 10 Episode 3 wrapped in flawless logic. Will we see Nan and Steve Newlin go toe-to-toe again? Hereís to hoping. I wanted to love Samís flashback. But it was way too Lost for me. Swindler? Hot girl partner? Revenge killing? That said, I donít think I could take much more of Tommy taking the piss out of Sam. Iím a bit worried about Sam paying the abuses of his own past forward. But if weíre going to see Sam go down this path, it seems in keeping with Taraís journey. I like the metaphorical monsters just as much as the supes. I will, however, Sons of Anarchy Season 5 Episode 5 point to Six Feet Under and Davidís gay bashing storyline that signalled a dark spiral for that series. Worth it, all the way. But I canít help but think that weíre looking at the calm before a really big storm for both these characters.

They ALL have links to some website that will probably give you a virus and they are always about television show seasons. This might sound extreme but should Frihost block and message from appearing that contains the words "season" and "episode" (it has to have both words) from posters with less than 10 posts? It wouldn't be that difficult to implement and when you try posting something with those words it can just not put it into the MySql database and instead an error message comes up that explains the situation (so that if it just happens to be a real poster they know why there post won't come up) so that they know... Most people would understand but I doubt that it would ever even become an issue because, seriously, how many legitimate posts contain both words "season" and "episode"? A few in the movies and television forum but most discussion about a certain episode won't specify what season that episode is on and most discussions on seasons don't talk about a specific episode and so most posts won't contain both words...

BTW, I'm not putting this into the suggestions forum because I am not suggestion this. I just want to discuss if anyone thinks that it is a good idea or not and if enough people think that it's a good idea then we can formally suggest it in the suggestion forum.
Great post Matrix and I support your suggestion. However, feels like we're running around the same block for the millionth of times. There have been plenty of suggestions for filters, and checking posts. They've all gone one way, ending up with preference for the reporting system. I prefer the savvy way as there are plenty of ways to get ahead of spammers, particularly with filters and pre-checking, but general sentiment (not my sentiment) is that a little bit of spam is not that bad. Just keep on reporting when you see them.
Afaceinthematrix
I have seen other posts that suggest ways to get around it but none of them quite work. I have seen suggestions that your first posts need to be approved by a moderator but that would be unpractical. I have seen suggestions that new members shouldn't be able to post links but there are too many legitimate reasons to post links. I think that so far this is the best solution because the vast majority of spam comes in this forms and there are hardly any legitimate reasons to put those same two words in a post. Yesterday, right not too long after I posted this, there was a spammer on the front page doing exactly what I complained about and it is still there today. The other day, there were three sets of three posts on the front. Clearly this issue is getting too big to be handled manual and for the health of the forum something needs to be done on the automation level...
standready
I like your idea however spammers will catch on and not use certain words. I think the best way to semi-control spam was one that you mentioned - "newbies" should not be allowed to post links (or have a signature) until they have earned the next level Frihost title (Frihost Wannabe?). That is what - 25 posts? Yes, a little inconvenience perhaps but would kill the "spam and run".
Afaceinthematrix
standready wrote:
I like your idea however spammers will catch on and not use certain words. I think the best way to semi-control spam was one that you mentioned - "newbies" should not be allowed to post links (or have a signature) until they have earned the next level Frihost title (Frihost Wannabe?). That is what - 25 posts? Yes, a little inconvenience perhaps but would kill the "spam and run".

I don't know about that. Many of the spammers might be computers that would never catch on because no other forum that I know of uses this method of banning posts with two specific words from people with less than a certain amount of posts.

And even the ones that are human might just move on to the next forum that they are planning on spamming.
darthrevan
Well it does get old reporting the same post just different user and different day, sometimes. There is another suggestion for using re Captcha to help stop spammers.
deanhills
I felt VERY good today. I'm a Mod at a very quiet almost inactive templates forum, and this morning when I checked in recognized a spammer that I'd seen at Frihost. SMALL WORLD!!! This spammer had spam links in his/her signature.

But yes, a filter would probably have taken care of that spammer. I've seen Akismet Spam Filter in action, one goes to sleep and wake up the following morning, and Akismet has banned a few spammers. Can't understand when there are spam filters like that around, why there should be any spam around.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
I felt VERY good today. I'm a Mod at a very quiet almost inactive templates forum, and this morning when I checked in recognized a spammer that I'd seen at Frihost. SMALL WORLD!!! This spammer had spam links in his/her signature.

But yes, a filter would probably have taken care of that spammer. I've seen Akismet Spam Filter in action, one goes to sleep and wake up the following morning, and Akismet has banned a few spammers. Can't understand when there are spam filters like that around, why there should be any spam around.

Yeah I agree, why should there be any spammers around when we have protection. Though of course for the protection to work, it has to be implemented as well.
ocalhoun
darthrevan wrote:
Well it does get old reporting the same post just different user and different day, sometimes. There is another suggestion for using re Captcha to help stop spammers.

Even automated spammers can get past that these days. The captchas have been broken.
deanhills
I think the best filter I've seen at registration is a picture quiz, matching up pictures with one another. Sort of difficult to beat that one.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
I think the best filter I've seen at registration is a picture quiz, matching up pictures with one another. Sort of difficult to beat that one.

Personally I could careless which method was used as long as it works :p. I report everyday, but unfortunately can't ban and delete.
hw3patch
In addition to the spam in the General Chat section, there was some spam in the Work and Jobs section the other day. Said spam was about NFL jerseys that time rather than television shows.

Here is one of my observations about the automated examination of post content in order to reduce spam posts:
I think that it is worth it to note a specific characteristic that all of the recent spam posts (the ones I've seen, at least) share. Yes, there are the links and random phrases pieced together, but the length is what I'm referring to. Each of the spam posts is pretty long, meaning that the spammer would receive the maximum number of points possible (5) for each of their spam posts. To make false positives less of an issue, it might be helpful to only target those posts.

That way, the pool of legitimate posts that are examined by the spam filter would be much smaller, thus decreasing false positives, but without letting more spam in than it would otherwise.
Afaceinthematrix
There's an interesting spammer right now by the name of albiemer who has 29 posts - up to 8 posts in any one thread - that are all, essentially, gibberish. This is a weird one and I don't actually think that it's a true spammer. It is most likely a troll or someone in desperate need of hosting but that didn't bother to read the requirement that you need quality posts. At any rate, I reported some of those posts (but not all of them because I didn't want to fill up the report logs and I put a note in the comment sections explaining the situation).
truespeed
^^ Matrix,you can just click on their profile and report user,saves reporting individual posts.
Helios
The spam has hit us like a plague... you guys should see the reports page. You're doing a good job with the reports, so we have LOTS of work to go - spamcan and ban those spammers.
The amount of reports kind of shows how bad the situation is.
Personally I'd be glad to have some sort of blocking system which will save us work, but blocking posts with the words "episode" and "season" can result in many "innocent" posts being discarded.
Maybe a combination of those keywords and the fact that the post contains a link should automatically discard a post... I don't know, it's up to Bondings anyway.

Keep reporting though and suggesting solutions to deal with this problem! Maybe some of you guys are active on other forums which had this issue and solved it... I don't think it'd be a crime to learn from others. So any suggestion, I believe, is good to mention and I'm sure that eventually this spam problem will be dealt with, at least partially if not completely. I am opening a thread on the mod's forum with a link to this thread.

BTW Afaceinthematrix, I edited your post in order to remove the actual links. I redirected the links to frihost.com as you can notice. Just wanted to let you know.
Afaceinthematrix
Well I was suggesting banning using those two words together for people under 10 posts because if you've made 10 legitimate posts then you're probably not a spammer and we don't have to worry about you and also, what is the chance of someone actually using both of those words in the same post and having it be legitimate? It is a very small probability. We can reduce the 10 down to 5 which would reduce the very small probability to half of that. Maybe we could reduce it even more and have block posts with both of those words plus a link. If you're talking about a television show and you link to something then it is almost certainly spam. If you do it before you've even made 10 posts then I'd bet my life that it is spam and if it isn't then I've essentially won the lottery (because it would be that rare). And we could just have a nice message that pops up and stops the post from being made.

Example:
We're sorry to inform you that because of an extremely large volume of spammers using the words "episode" and "season" in the same post along with a link, we do not allow users with less than 10 posts from using those two words in the same post along with a link. We are sorry for the inconvenience and we invite you to post more! If you post 10 - $yourposts more posts then you can post unrestricted!

Okay, that's not the greatest or most diplomatic response but we can have a small mini-contest and see who comes up with the best. That is assuming that we ever implemented this idea. I'll admit that this idea isn't a great one and that it would be more of a last resort but I'm just desperate to see less spam. It makes navigating these forums difficult. I hope that the spammer that I mentioned yesterday with those 29 gibberish posts (up to eight in a row on one topic) has all of his/her posts removed soon because they clutter up topics that I am participating in.

A picture or logic game, as suggested by other people, would be more ideal. To register, you have to do some sort of logic i.e. 4 + 9 = ____ or match pictures.

P.S. Thanks for redirecting those links. It hadn't even occurred to me that I should do that because I pretty much assumed that no one would click on them. I should have thought about it ahead of time.

Edit:

Here is an example of the person that I was complaining about (who now has 53 posts instead of 29 posts)...
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-143495.html

Here he posts 8 posts in a row (with no one posting in between) and here is the content of those eight posts:
1) just simple
2) Wee di nga
3) I don't know
4) My Baby
5) It's funny
6) Hi
7) Helllo
8) It's true

This type of spam, while rare, is even more annoying because it is disrupting legitimate posts and I seriously hope that this guy gets all of his posts removed and then gets banned very soon because stuff like that will really ruin a forum.
codemaster
The way we avoid this spam is putting on the inactive 7 day deletion. Which is when a message is in active for 7 days or whatever it's automaticly deleted. I say we start getting posting rules.
Afaceinthematrix
The issue with that is that Frihost has been getting so much spam lately that if we'd have way too much spam accumulated in a week. And I assume that you're referring to posts that haven't gotten a single response within a week? Because there are plenty of legitimate posts that will go a week without a response and then someone will respond again and that refuels the conversation. Furthermore, after a week, the spam has done its purpose. I want to find a way to prevent it from ever getting posted because it is as big of an eye sore as garbage (which is what I see it as) and it really hurts the integrity of an otherwise pretty strong forum.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
So any suggestion, I believe, is good to mention and I'm sure that eventually this spam problem will be dealt with, at least partially if not completely. I am opening a thread on the mod's forum with a link to this thread.
OK. That makes me feel a little better. There are a few of us who have been making suggestions pretty intensely over the last few months. Sort of difficult to understand why Frihost has not installed some kind of filter/captcha or protective anti-spam measure by now when all other Forums are doing it. If I'd been a Mod and seen all of the reports you mentioned, that would have depressed me no end. A Mod in my mind is someone who is supposed to moderate posts, like you are doing now. Not work through reams of spam reports for the bulk of his time online. I really don't see the reason why Frihost can't strive for a zero spam policy. There are plenty of filters and anti-spam techniques online for making that possible.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
So any suggestion, I believe, is good to mention and I'm sure that eventually this spam problem will be dealt with, at least partially if not completely. I am opening a thread on the mod's forum with a link to this thread.
OK. That makes me feel a little better. There are a few of us who have been making suggestions pretty intensely over the last few months. Sort of difficult to understand why Frihost has not installed some kind of filter/captcha or protective anti-spam measure by now when all other Forums are doing it. If I'd been a Mod and seen all of the reports you mentioned, that would have depressed me no end. A Mod in my mind is someone who is supposed to moderate posts, like you are doing now. Not work through reams of spam reports for the bulk of his time online. I really don't see the reason why Frihost can't strive for a zero spam policy. There are plenty of filters and anti-spam techniques online for making that possible.

I strongly agree we need some kind of spam protection, in the sense of spam protection, we are behind on the times. If something isn't done, we are going to be overrun by spammers . Otherwise if we want to be spam free as possible a mod would nearly be on here 24 hrs a day which isn't likely. I think using some kind of filter is more sensible.
standready
darthrevan wrote:
we are behind on the times.

Kindly explain how Frihost is behind? If spammers want to pollute the community, they will find a way sadly. The best we, the community, can do is fight back by using the 'report' button.
BTW: Spammers have found the blogs!
deanhills
standready wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Kindly explain how Frihost is behind? If spammers want to pollute the community, they will find a way sadly. The best we, the community, can do is fight back by using the 'report' button.
I agree with Darthevan. "Behind" in the sense that there aren't any filters in place. Reporting to catch spam is labour intensive, and a bit like using a manual hoe on huge farm land when there is a tractor parked in the garage.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

I agree with Darthevan. "Behind" in the sense that there aren't any filters in place. Reporting to catch spam is labour intensive, and a bit like using a manual hoe on huge farm land when there is a tractor parked in the garage.

Exactly. Why not use things that are available to us to use instead of having to report. Even if some spammers get through it would be less. It is like expecting water to not come through a end of a pipe without a faucet there. In that analogy, we should put a faucet on, even if it does leak it wouldn't be as much
standready
I think what we need is one of our hackers or recruit this person:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57530644-93/hacker-wins-$60000-prize-for-breaking-into-google-chrome/
to do a continuing DNS attack on all the spammer's linked websites. Shut them sites DOWN for a while for promoting spam in our forums.
deanhills
How do you know that we don't already have one? Twisted Evil