FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Iceland

rogue_skydragon
What's there to do in Iceland? Anyone here ever been?
c'tair
I haven't been there, except for about 2 hours when I had to change flights. The country seemed very wild, lots of mountains, and pretty cold.

I did some research as for a time I believed I would be moving to Iceland. The population is pretty small, about 300 people in all, however if you enjoy spending time in nature, especially mountains, it would be wonderful. Generally anything to do with the outdoors would be really great in Iceland. From what I hear, there are also many artistic events there, especially concerts. For it's small population, Iceland seems to produce a lot of musicians.
I've also read that due to the small population, the people are especially friendly and nice.

Are you going to Iceland?
Peterssidan
c'tair wrote:
The population is pretty small, about 300 people in all

You mean about 300 000, don't you? Wink
deanhills
All I know about Iceland is that it is quite expensive to live there. Cost of living is very high. I'd imagine cost of traveling to Iceland would then be high as well. Particularly accommodation and food.
c'tair
@Petersidden
Yep, my bad. Very Happy . It's definitely 300 thousand, not just 300.

deanhills wrote:
All I know about Iceland is that it is quite expensive to live there. Cost of living is very high. I'd imagine cost of traveling to Iceland would then be high as well. Particularly accommodation and food.

I believe this applies to most nordic countries. Transportation shouldn't be too costly though, thanks to the cheap but uncomfortable IcelandExpress. Dunno about other costs.

Also, it seems having such a small population works wonder for the government:
Quote:
Iceland’s commitment to its program, a decision to push losses on to bondholders instead of taxpayers and the safeguarding of a welfare system that shielded the unemployed from penury helped propel the nation from collapse toward recovery, according to the Washington-based fund.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-12/imf-says-bailouts-iceland-style-hold-lessons-for-crisis-nations .
Seems like they can hold their own pretty damn good.
deanhills
Small population sounds good to me. Not on my list to visit though right now, probably because it's quite a distance from my radar screen.
nguyenvulong
IceLand is a very good country to travel in my opinion.
They\re peaceful and quiet ^_^
rogue_skydragon
I want to go so bad! Yes, I also heard that Iceland is popular for music festivals and for putting out musical talent. Let's go, guys!
rogue_skydragon
lixtea wrote:
Iceland has begun to market itself as a prime location for data centres, again for the cool climate, but also because of its abundant geothermal energy

This is actually quite fascinating. Albeit a little foreboding, because I imagine this convenience being exploited to result in data "farms" that I fear may infringe upon the beautiful landscape.
slimviking
rogue_skydragon wrote:
lixtea wrote:
Iceland has begun to market itself as a prime location for data centres, again for the cool climate, but also because of its abundant geothermal energy

This is actually quite fascinating. Albeit a little foreboding, because I imagine this convenience being exploited to result in data "farms" that I fear may infringe upon the beautiful landscape.

Datafarming is indeed very convenient there, since abundance of energy and qualified personnel.
Also the cold weather ensure free natural cooling.

maybe ruining a landscape is not a good thing, but datacenters are the thing who keep internet working and using geothermal energy means using a natural, renewable source.
So Iceland, keep those datacenter running !
Nick2008
I've always wanted to visit Iceland as it seems to be quite secluded from the rest of Europe, yet it's one of the best countries in the world. From what I've heard, it has a small population and a lot of nature that's been almost untouched. Sounds like a great place to visit and live as well.
rogue_skydragon
It would be awesome to check out Iceland's Blue Lagoon! Geothermal spas!!! Wooo!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t7Ci1huVbhs/UKID1oym7hI/AAAAAAAACTI/Ih7y6pi4qbo/s1600/Blue+Lagoon+Hot+Springs,+Iceland+!!1.jpg
Sabbadon
I'd like to go to Iceland but it's too expensive for me at moment..
Wanna visit Dimmu Borgir place Very Happy
rogue_skydragon
Sabbadon wrote:
I'd like to go to Iceland but it's too expensive for me at moment..
Wanna visit Dimmu Borgir place Very Happy

Alas, it is indeed expensive to travel to Iceland. Sometimes I say to myself, "Gee, I guess it's best to just let Iceland be a dream."
testsoc
Would love to make a trip to Iceland in August, but we only have a few days. It's a relatively short flight for us, but is it worth making the trip if we only have 5 or 6 days? We would likely rent a car and explore on our own instead of doing a tour. What would you consider as "must see" things to do? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!