FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Benefit of joint family

bukaida
I am born and brought up in a joint family where I had my grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, my own brother (one) and sister(one). I brought up in a "Sharing", "Caring" and "Cheering" environment. Now my grandfather has died. My parents are staying at our native town with my grandmother ( She is 96 and still going strong Smile ) . The occupation and job has splitted my brother and sister to two different corner of the world ( they have their family now). Still once in a year we all meet at our native place with the sweet memories of our olden days. We use to tell our children about the incidents we had there at our childhood and they hear them speechlessly like a fairy tale.

I often feel if I could give the same to my five year old son, his life would have been different. Sometimes I feel " Only child is really a lonely child" and family is not just "Father And Mother I Love You". It has much broader meaning.

Do you have similar experience? Did you get similar environment at your childhood which you still miss?
SonLight
Extended families are important to childhood development and to society as a whole. As technology develops, and children seek education and economic advancement, families become more split up.

Often when we observe cultures more "traditional" than our own, one of the most important features that makes them attractive is that they are closer to or still have large extended families.

In the US, the majority of families started spreading apart by the 1950s if not before. It sounds like your family had a similar experience, but perhaps a generation or so later. It would be interesting to compare notes with other members here.
cybersa
bukaida wrote:
I am born and brought up in a joint family where I had my grandfather, grandmother, father, mother, my own brother (one) and sister(one). I brought up in a "Sharing", "Caring" and "Cheering" environment. Now my grandfather has died. My parents are staying at our native town with my grandmother ( She is 96 and still going strong Smile ) . The occupation and job has splitted my brother and sister to two different corner of the world ( they have their family now). Still once in a year we all meet at our native place with the sweet memories of our olden days. We use to tell our children about the incidents we had there at our childhood and they hear them speechlessly.

I often feel if I could give the same to my five year old son, his life would have been different. Sometimes I feel " Only child is really a lonely child" and family is not just "Father And Mother I Love You". It has much broader meaning.

Do you have similar experience? Did you get similar environment at your childhood which you still miss?

You expressed your feelings very nice.
Your lucky. Wink

Unfortunately i do not have that opportunity.
Because i my father need to move far away from native place due to job.
But 3month once my familys,my cousin's family will meet at Native place for Festival.
On that really i enjoy very much with my cousins grandmother and grandfather.
codersfriend
being in a joint family looks great.. especially that you have a lot of time with your relatives
Talib
You will enjoy a lot in joint family. However you have to sacrifice sometimes in some occasions to maintain good joint family environment.
mshafiq
i love to have joint family.i thing it is good for the kids as they have lot of people around their.they have chance to learn from every one.
loveandormoney
How about the adults.
Do they enjoy all to stay together today on sunday for breakfast with the whole family?
zaxacongrejo
Family is one of the 3 sacred things a man should always have
Family for support
God to have faith
Homeland for identity
loveandormoney
Why do so many people want to live a alone?
Why do so many people (in Western Countries 10%) want to change their home once a year?

Are You in a special situation, because You want to spent Christmas with Your family?
D'Artagnan
First of all, i'm sorry for your grandfather and i hope your family is doing alright.

there are obvious advantages for this model, a joint family is much more cost effective, sharing a bigger home is always cheaper then having several real state for singles or couples,there is less need of services used by lone couples, babysitting , gardening, driving kids to scholl, cooking cleaning etc.

i've read that this is very common in china.

but that is if your family can live peacefully togueter, because mine can barelly hold themselves between the 3 at home! that italian blood makes things too loud, and that's now when i'm not living with them anymore imagine when i was there...
loveandormoney
Quote:
a joint family is much more cost effective

Good morning
Has the decision to stay alone or with family dependent to the question: Are You rich?
bukaida
It is the sharing and caring environment of the joint family that attracts me. Today most of the human being do not look beyond himself. The nuclear family does not teach about sacrifice for others. The joint family gives us the comfort that we are not alone. And regarding peaceful co-existence of the family members-- well even if you keep the utensils together , they will collide and make noise. The opinion will obviously differ among the family members but that is where you will learn another good habit --tolerance.
loveandormoney
Quote:

Today most of the human being do not look beyond himself.

Do they care for themselves?
D'Artagnan
loveandormoney wrote:
Quote:

Good morning
Has the decision to stay alone or with family dependent to the question: Are You rich?

i don't think so, i'm not rich and i live alone
Insanity
I used to live with my grandparents, but now that they are gone the family is only the basic nuclear family situation
codegeek
I think the main benefit is that one can get support when needed and will never feel lonely.
friend2012
One of the most important aspect of Joint family is imbibing the culture of sharing, respecting and responsibilities in the young generation by the senior generation. This is not found in nuclear family as it is evident in the society today.
loveandormoney
D'Artagnan wrote:
loveandormoney wrote:
Quote:

Good morning

i don't think so, i'm not rich and i live alone

Why do You want to stay alone?
mustatab
i am from asian community and living in joint family is norm. But in USA my children do not want to stay with us. SO this is causing more anxiety to us. We are not sure where it will go.
loveandormoney
mustatab wrote:
i am from asian community and living in joint family is norm. But in USA my children do not want to stay with us. SO this is causing more anxiety to us. We are not sure where it will go.

What does Your chilren say?