FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DVD-R and DVD+R, Which is much better ?

blueray
I have done a search on google found some pros and cons for DVD-R and DVD+R media disk.
I felt hard to choose one.

Here are some description of these.
DVD-R less precision but without format before use it,
DVD+R more precision and reliable than DVD+R, but does requires format before one can use it.

I would like to get some suggestions before I get one.
This is important because I will use the type of disk for backup of computer data. (Before this, I use CDR for data backup only).

Thanks in advance !
RosenCruz
I recommend hard drives for data back up. Laser discs are not reliable imho Wink
badai
go for DVD+R. there were discussion about this few weeks back.
PlasticCard9
I think DVD+R is the best
blueray
I have heard that DVD+R required that be format before I can use it. Is this true ?
How to balance both the data reliable and the ease of use are my concern.
vicar013
blueray wrote:
I have heard that DVD+R required that be format before I can use it.

No. Only DVD-/+RW's will require formatting. Blank DVD-/+R's, since they are only write-able once, come pre-formatted. DVD-/+RW (Re-Writeable) can be formatted and new data stored on them.

DVD-/+R's (Single write discs) are very simple to use, as are DVD-/+RW.

I have had experience of mainly DVD-R, but unfortunately it seems to be the weaker/cheaper of the formats, does the job though. I would very rarely use DVD for backup purposes, they're toss. Maybe if you spend out on quality hardware it would work.
As RosenCruz said:
RozenCruz wrote:
I recommend hard drives for data back up.

The old DVD Recordable subject has been curiously repetitious on these forums. I'm surprised there's not more help using google...?
blueray
vicar013

Thanks for your help and the some helpful information provided.
I am still looking for more information about my choosing issue !

Hopefully I can find more on these.

Thanks again !
GuidanceReader
RosenCruz wrote:
I recommend hard drives for data back up. Laser discs are not reliable imho Wink

I agree. I've heard that the writable discs have a shelf life, so that one day you'll go to use it and you can access your stuff. False sense of security.
blueray
I have no choose on that, because the only option was DVD disc.
taytay
GuidanceReader wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

I agree. I've heard that the writable discs have a shelf life, so that one day you'll go to use it and you can access your stuff. False sense of security.

really? Darn thats not good. I've started backing up a lot of things to DVD-R Dual Layer (all I had for max storage) I was thinking Discs would be better than a hard drive because I don't have to worry about magnets and such. I may just be being too paranoyed about it though. I do have a 500Gb external, but I use it more for transporting stuff between computers and sharing stuff with friends and family. I'm scared about saving important stuff to it, then a magnet wiping it out and I'm at a loss.

I just got back home 2 months ago, and all my stuff is missing. Mostly my games I had backed up. But All my projects for coding and such, I thought I had on a 250Gig hard drive, I get home, and there's nothign on it... It's been locked in a case full of random cushy objects that no one has disturbed for 2 years. And since it's been so long I can't recall where else I would have put my stuff!
sysna
i think dvd+R is better but as others said for important backup use hard disk because even most reliable laser disks can damage easily.