FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you clean your pc from dust?

digibluez
I think i got too much of it in my pc's case allready,and it can overheat my pc quick.It restarted on its own yesterday and the day before as well.So how i get it clean.Any ideas.I do not have a vacum cleaner.
MonkeyWrench
i guess you dont, i opened my pc up for the first time in 5 months and it was covered in dust, i just used tissue, cleans it pretty well Razz
gnomme
digibluez wrote:
I think i got too much of it in my pc's case allready,and it can overheat my pc quick.It restarted on its own yesterday and the day before as well.So how i get it clean.Any ideas.I do not have a vacum cleaner.

Please be careful using the vacum cleaner! it may causes harmeful damages to the computer components.
I think the best way is to use an Air compressor, but, of couse, whith low BAR charge! to avoid damaging components.
You can also try to use a air duster ( small air spray )
gh0stface
Just open up your computer case and use pressurized air to blow out the dust. You can buy cans at Office Max, Best Buy or other various stores that usually sell computers.

Or you can just use your mouth and try to blow all the dust out Razz
SunburnedCactus
Using a hoover inside is fine as long as you don't actually suck something right out. Just hold it at a distance and scrape the dust off with something so that it gets rid of it. It is a really effective method as long as you are careful.
ocalhoun
I use my air compressor, its battery powered and quite convienient.
Never use fabric or tissue or such, the ESD can kill your system!

If you have no compressor, then to this:
1:take out CMOS battery
2:allow some time to discharge all capacitors (or remove power supply)
3:Hose it down!
4:Allow time to dry (make sure it really is dry!)
5:Reassemble and power up.

This is safe if done properly!
I have an older computer that sat outside during hurricane Charlie, It runs great!
xorcist
All I do is open up the computer and take out all of the nuts and bolts. I take a paper towel and wipe up all of the dirt that's around it. I clean the fan and everything else.
Summer
It is good that u do not have an vacuum cleaner . It will **** (absorb) the pc part out of ur CPU .
Just clean it normally like using tissue and by blowing .
SoftStag
Using a can of compressed air is the best and safest way. An effective cheap alternative is to blow down a straw (just try not to get any spit down it!). This way you can direct a stream of air to where you want to remove the dust from.

You often get a lot on the fan blades that is difficult to remove with air, use a slightly dampened cotton bud to wipe it off.

To be honest though, unless you have a lot of dust in there, it will have minimal impact on cooling.
digibluez
ok,thanks guys for the tips.I will try it in the weekend,really can't affort to let it try one day long.What will i do wohtout my Pc that long.

Anyway,i hear that useing pressurized air to lbow in it is not so good.AS you can accidelty blow something in the fan or IN soemthing sel,and after it might won't startu up at all.Or damageds it.I try the simple tissue technique.

Haha "blow down" ..tryid it once and never do it again,can't hold my breathe that long.

Uhm i think its a lot in mine...as i open it up its all white in there,lol.I can see the dust with my own eye from far away.
murray732
last time i opened up my pc case it had a load of dust it in it!...i used a vacume for SOME of it, but most of it stuck to the casing and everything...so i just used some a dish rag with a wet tip and gave it a wipe...that worked fine for me Wink
Helios
gh0stface wrote:
Just open up your computer case and use pressurized air to blow out the dust. You can buy cans at Office Max, Best Buy or other various stores that usually sell computers.

That's the best option of all..
and after that you can use a duster(be aware of static electricity).
kam311
I work in IT, and typically canned air works best. Kind of like an air horn, but without the sound, thankfully. Tissues you have to be really careful with because they can discharge static electricity, which can damage parts inside. Eloectrostatic discharge can kill your motherboard...trust me, it sucks. Of course, don't use water or all that...Hope that helps some.
gonzo
digibluez wrote:
t can overheat my pc quick.It restarted on its own yesterday and the day before as well

It's possibly too late. You've likely suffered irreparable damage. Had this not happened then take the case apart and remove the cards. Take it to a body shop that uses a condenser with their air compressor: you CANNOT have any water vapor in the air. Canned air is a great way to waste money.

blow out the dust even from sockets

reassemble
SoftStag
gonzo wrote:
digibluez wrote:
t can overheat my pc quick.It restarted on its own yesterday and the day before as well

It's possibly too late. You've likely suffered irreparable damage.

Highly unlikely. Most PC components that generate a significant amount of heat have protection built in so they stop working if they get close to the maximum safe operating temperature. This generally causes the PC to crash, but the hardware is not damaged.

gonzo wrote:
Take it to a body shop that uses a condenser with their air compressor: you CANNOT have any water vapor in the air. Canned air is a great way to waste money.

I don't think this is the case. Most PC components (and other electrical items) will operate at a relative humidity of 90% (non condensing). The chances of getting condensation are pretty low under normal conditions, and even then so long as it is not turned on when there is condensation, it will be fine when it has dried out. Besides, canned air is not that expensive and a lot easier than taking your PC to a body shop. A worthwhile investment if the PC is overheating due to dust.
shwetanshu
well i use paint brushes (unused) and an extra soft cloth which i buy everymonth to clean my PC thoroughly. i take out each and every part. it takes me around 4-5 hrs.
Marcin_K
Some time ago I found out that my pc was a >dust trap<.
I had the same problem - my pc started to crash. When I opened it it was all grey and covered in dust. I took out the parts that I couldn't reach with a cloth, cleaned it with compressed air and that's it. Everything worked untill I opened it again after a short time and it was dirty again. I've cleaned it once again and this time I didn't put the side-covers on. So my pc is a bit 'naked' Smile now, maybe a bit louder and I have to look out for flies Smile but it's CLEAN! If I see some dust I just take a deep breath and... blow it away Smile
Omego2K@
digibluez wrote:

I clean my PC once every two weeks myself, you need to get an air duster, here are some steps you should take:

1. Turn off your PC.
2. Turn off your PSU or unplug the power from it.
3. wait 1 minute
4. dust with the air duster.
5. wait 1 minute

and you're done Smile
Richous05
I just use my own compressed air i huff and i puff and i blow the dust down! Twisted Evil
pjv
gh0stface wrote:

Be careful with that, you must have a saliva filter in order for you to do this right or you'll end up with a fried motherboard. Laughing
Richous05
Yeah very true or i could be smoking!
decayed.cell
You can buy a special air pump which can get under keys of a keyboard. Here is a page that you might like to read:

http://www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-computers-insides.html
waiteck
Wait for a next hurricane to come. And put your computer parts exposed in an open area but being hold down tightly. I am pretty sure that it will be quite clean after getting "vaccumed"..
technology.sponge
don't use a full size vacuum on ur pc!! i deserves more respect than that

u can buy bottles of compressed air that u can spray all the dust out with..
or u cud prolly use the small handheld ones that run off 3 AA's designed for the purpose (lyk 12 bux AUS each)
FiZiX
Yup, compressed air has always been my dust remover of choice.
mark
Even if you have a vacuum cleaner, try not to clean your computer with it as I always fear it will suck the small parts out!!!

Anyway, open your tower and gently clean with a tissue or a soft cotton cloth.
samvig
What kind of a stupid question is this. ??
Its like askin how to brush your teeth ...
Grow up fellas ....

>SAM<
bananaphone
Used compressed air on everything but hard disks - for hard disks just blow gently.
Jamatu
I just remove the dust with a cloth from the outside, everyon e once in a while I stick a hover in the back fan to suck up the dust thats just inside. About every 3 or 4 months i'll take it apart and blow / hoover the dust out.
salman_500
man all of you are so boring... i never clean my comp ..... there is not enough dust in my house to cover everything inside it..... if incase the dust lvl gets very high and my comp stops working then either ill send it to the computer shop for repair or ill buy a new 1 as this one is gettin pretty old..
ckb
i'll use a can of compressed air + brush
ddfreaks
i think your problem is not about having a dirty PC, i think your problem is your cooling system.
i had the same problem of restarting pc's, but that was becouse it got a bit to hot.
adlamb
Speaking from experience, if you are not careful compressed air can cause problems if you end up blowing dust further in and breaking the connections between things. This happened with my mate's laptop. It looked like all the dust had gone but actually it was just further in and causing problems! There were no problems to start with!!
Also be careful with a vacuum. Make sure you keep your distance with the nozzle. The cleaner will generate static both from the machine itself and from the air travelling down the plastic nozzle. You dont want this to discharge into your pc! This hasnt happened to me but I used to work as a design engineer for filters for vacuum cleaners and so tested lots of machines. The number of times they gave me a static shock from the nozzle was amazing. The worst for it was little pull along VAX. I never had a shock from the upright Dysons....strange.
Aliaksandr
Previously, I used a vacuum cleaner, but then used this computer dust filter. And since then, I forgot about the cleaning.
Nikola992
plenty ways to do it really, i pref the one where u take the entire thing appart and clean with water and possibly some anti-grease substance or something.

u can just use a dust blower if u want a quick fix but i clean my PC just by taking EVERYTHING apart, clean the heat sinks and the fans with a hard brush and some chemical i find in the house like detergent or something, take away the old thermal paste gently with an ear pick and clean the boards with a soft cloth dipped in a alcohol, then let it all dry out for like 2-3 hours pref in the sun (not the CPU/GPU obv. alcohol just evaporates in minutes) then reapply the thermal paste and put it back together. Never had any problems with this and as far as rust goes, it wont have time to get rusty so ur fine on that end.

The only important thing is to dry it off nicely and put it back together properly Smile
xmcorporation
I've been cleaning PC cases professionally for years, here's what I do:

1 - I use a brush to dust, and vacuum at the same time but not to close to the computer parts

2 - After step 1, I dismantle all Fans and CPU dissipator

3 - Again, with the help of the brush, I then vaccum all parts

4 - (if you vaccum can do it) use it in reverse, to blow all parts as well

5 - Clean CPU and put new dissipator paste

6 - Re-assemble everything

Once I managed to bring a 72ēC CPU down to 39ēC.
Peterssidan
Aliaksandr wrote:
Previously, I used a vacuum cleaner, but then used these dust filters. And since then, I forgot about the cleaning.

It works? How much does that increase the temperature inside the box?
freefri
hmmmm.
Shocked
get a duster....
Cool and open the case!! mind it...
Aliaksandr
Peterssidan wrote:
Aliaksandr wrote:
Previously, I used a vacuum cleaner, but then used these dust filters. And since then, I forgot about the cleaning.

It works? How much does that increase the temperature inside the box?

Temperature was 33-34, after setting filters 36-37.