FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Jet lag





deanhills
I'm getting better now, but wow, after my return journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai, UAE, over 8 time zones, and against the zones, I felt almost comatose for two days. I'd go home after work, just sit down and pass out. I also had memory lapses, i.e. forgetting names of things. They're back now, but it felt quite strange just after I had landed.

Any one else has had similar experiences, and any specific remedies for avoiding or minimizing jet lag?

Amazing though that I did not experience the same traveling with the time zones to North America. I was "A" OK from day one of disembarking in Canada. Maybe it's physically easier to travel to the past than it is to the future? Twisted Evil
Afaceinthematrix
I've never had jet lag. I just stay up the night before so that I am no schedule. For instance, I flew out of Los Angeles at 6:30AM and I arrived in Casablanca, Morocco at 6AM their time. So I pulled an all-nighter the night that I left Los Angeles and then didn't go to sleep until I was in the plane and I was 8 hours away from landing. That way, I woke up right as we were getting to Morocco, I'd just slept, and it was 6AM their time - which is what time I am used to waking up anyways. That put my on schedule. When I flew home from Luxembourg to Los Angeles (via layover in Amsterdam) I did the same thing. Our flight out of Luxembourg didn't leave until 6 in the morning and I slept for the hour between Luxembourg and Amsterdam and then I slept for a while from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. I woke up about 4 hours before landing in Los Angeles and we landed in LA at noon and so, effectively, I woke up at 8AM that morning. Therefore, I was on the correct sleeping schedule. I plan on doing the same thing in three weeks when I go to Japan.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I've never had jet lag. I just stay up the night before so that I am no schedule. For instance, I flew out of Los Angeles at 6:30AM and I arrived in Casablanca, Morocco at 6AM their time. So I pulled an all-nighter the night that I left Los Angeles and then didn't go to sleep until I was in the plane and I was 8 hours away from landing. That way, I woke up right as we were getting to Morocco, I'd just slept, and it was 6AM their time - which is what time I am used to waking up anyways. That put my on schedule. When I flew home from Luxembourg to Los Angeles (via layover in Amsterdam) I did the same thing. Our flight out of Luxembourg didn't leave until 6 in the morning and I slept for the hour between Luxembourg and Amsterdam and then I slept for a while from Amsterdam to Los Angeles. I woke up about 4 hours before landing in Los Angeles and we landed in LA at noon and so, effectively, I woke up at 8AM that morning. Therefore, I was on the correct sleeping schedule. I plan on doing the same thing in three weeks when I go to Japan.
I'm a very light sleeper, and have NEVER been able to sleep in a plane. I dose from time to time, but not the solid type of sleep that you must be able to put in. So good for you! Sounds great. Awesome to visit Japan. Are you going to spend a long time there?
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
I'm a very light sleeper, and have NEVER been able to sleep in a plane. I dose from time to time, but not the solid type of sleep that you must be able to put in. So good for you! Sounds great. Awesome to visit Japan. Are you going to spend a long time there?


I'm an extremely light sleeper as well. A pin drop would wake me up. However, I fall asleep extremely quickly. I routinely wake up 4-5 times a night anyways although I usually fall back to sleep very quickly. I usually have trouble sleeping on planes although it isn't much of a problem when I've stayed up the night before (and when I went to Morocco, not only had a stayed up the night before but I had stayed up the night before that as well because I was with my girlfriend).

I will only be in Japan for two weeks.
Bondings
From what I heard, the best way to deal with jet lag is to immediately adjust to the new time. You should also not eat a long time before the new evening, then try to sleep at your new sleeping time (if possible) and only eat (and eat a lot) at your new get-up time and make sure you get up at that time and not later.

The idea behind all this being that first of all gradual changes are not needed and that secondly your body resets its time schedule by a long period of not eating and then considers the first meal as morning (hence if you would eat during your new night - like on a plane - it would make matters only worse).
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
(hence if you would eat during your new night - like on a plane - it would make matters only worse).
Think that is exactly what happened to me. We had dinner over the Atlantic while moving through the bulk of time zones. I'll pay close attention to what and when I eat next time round.
albiemer
deanhills wrote:
I'm getting better now, but wow, after my return journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai, UAE, over 8 time zones, and against the zones, I felt almost comatose for two days. I'd go home after work, just sit down and pass out. I also had memory lapses, i.e. forgetting names of things. They're back now, but it felt quite strange just after I had landed.

Any one else has had similar experiences, and any specific remedies for avoiding or minimizing jet lag?

Amazing though that I did not experience the same traveling with the time zones to North America. I was "A" OK from day one of disembarking in Canada. Maybe it's physically easier to travel to the past than it is to the future? Twisted Evil


Wee di nga
albiemer
deanhills wrote:
Bondings wrote:
(hence if you would eat during your new night - like on a plane - it would make matters only worse).
Think that is exactly what happened to me. We had dinner over the Atlantic while moving through the bulk of time zones. I'll pay close attention to what and when I eat next time round.


It's funny
albiemer
albiemer wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm getting better now, but wow, after my return journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai, UAE, over 8 time zones, and against the zones, I felt almost comatose for two days. I'd go home after work, just sit down and pass out. I also had memory lapses, i.e. forgetting names of things. They're back now, but it felt quite strange just after I had landed.

Any one else has had similar experiences, and any specific remedies for avoiding or minimizing jet lag?

Amazing though that I did not experience the same traveling with the time zones to North America. I was "A" OK from day one of disembarking in Canada. Maybe it's physically easier to travel to the past than it is to the future? Twisted Evil


Wee di nga


hi
albiemer
albiemer wrote:
albiemer wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm getting better now, but wow, after my return journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai, UAE, over 8 time zones, and against the zones, I felt almost comatose for two days. I'd go home after work, just sit down and pass out. I also had memory lapses, i.e. forgetting names of things. They're back now, but it felt quite strange just after I had landed.

Any one else has had similar experiences, and any specific remedies for avoiding or minimizing jet lag?

Amazing though that I did not experience the same traveling with the time zones to North America. I was "A" OK from day one of disembarking in Canada. Maybe it's physically easier to travel to the past than it is to the future? Twisted Evil


Wee di nga


hi


Helllo
albiemer
albiemer wrote:
albiemer wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm getting better now, but wow, after my return journey from Quito in Ecuador to Dubai, UAE, over 8 time zones, and against the zones, I felt almost comatose for two days. I'd go home after work, just sit down and pass out. I also had memory lapses, i.e. forgetting names of things. They're back now, but it felt quite strange just after I had landed.

Any one else has had similar experiences, and any specific remedies for avoiding or minimizing jet lag?

Amazing though that I did not experience the same traveling with the time zones to North America. I was "A" OK from day one of disembarking in Canada. Maybe it's physically easier to travel to the past than it is to the future? Twisted Evil


Wee di nga


hi


It's true
Related topics
Which image host do you use?
Gmail and Thunderbird 1.0.7 not get along?
[OFFICIAL]What song are you listening to right now ?
Tips for travellers (airplane or otherwise)
Sleep less to get more out of life?
Are You Addicted To The Internet?
Boxing: Margarito - Mosely
Amazing revelation: caffeine helps you focus :0
You're feeling ___ because...
The end of Real Estate / Estate Agents 5, 10 or 15 years?
Want to visit Switzerland, any tips?
Continent hopping ... LAN Airlines ....
On my way ....
Green Salad ....
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.