FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First Bad Merchandise transaction on eBay

Tony The Tiger
On eBay, I purchased a camera lens and it arrived in condition that differed very much from the description. I purchased the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens. It is neck and neck with the Canon EF-S EFS 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens as the top selling lens on eBay. They trade places at number one frequently. It is one of the two top selling lenses on eBay because it is a very useful lens for the cropped sensor Canon digital camera user. I ordered one online and it was in Used condition meaning that it was suppose to arrive in condition to be fully operational and functions as intended. Mine did not. It did not autofocus effectively and when it shot, it would not open beyond f/4.0. Thus, I was reduced to manual focus mode. This is not what I bought the lens for. I demanded that seller compensate me and he returned half the money I paid. I hope to collect the other half selling this popular lens for parts on eBay. This is the first time that I recall needing to be partially refunded for a purchase on eBay after a few hundred transactions. How common is it for transactions like this to occur?
nickfyoung
Been caught a few times. Used to buy gold rings for resale mostly from overseas. One guy used to upgrade his to 18KT with a weeks delay. I bought a few from him but he caught me on the last one and disappeared with my money.

Sold a heap of left over stuff once in a large lot and it was bought by a lady who was running a stall that weekend for cancer charity. She talked me into sending it straight away so it would get there in time. Never got paid for it.
Tony The Tiger
nickfyoung wrote:
Been caught a few times. Used to buy gold rings for resale mostly from overseas. One guy used to upgrade his to 18KT with a weeks delay. I bought a few from him but he caught me on the last one and disappeared with my money.

Sold a heap of left over stuff once in a large lot and it was bought by a lady who was running a stall that weekend for cancer charity. She talked me into sending it straight away so it would get there in time. Never got paid for it.

I guess I have never been left totally holding the bag, because I have been sent an item for each payment for a purchase and never have sent an item without getting the money. I guess I should be thankful.
darthrevan
You could always report the user to Ebay, then you might get your full refund, atleast maybe. I know they say that they can work with the seller and get your money back, and also did you use Paypal, that is suppose to be another payment "insurance".
Tony The Tiger
darthrevan wrote:
You could always report the user to Ebay, then you might get your full refund, atleast maybe. I know they say that they can work with the seller and get your money back, and also did you use Paypal, that is suppose to be another payment "insurance".

*The partial refund worked out well. I bought it for 80.99. I accepted a partial refund of $40. I then clearly described the problems and sold it under the auction title "Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens (Region:US) READ DESCRIPTION:AS IS Partly functional" By being forthright, the people who knew how to fix the problem bid aggressively and I sold the broken lens for $66.99 (including shipping). By the time, I paid USPS priority flat rate of $5.10, ebay fees of $6.03 and paypal fees of $2.91, I actually profited by purchasing the broken item. I also taught the seller a lesson by sending him a link to watch my auction.

P.S. I picked up a replacement lens that actually works for $75.98. I saved an additional $5.01 in the deal.
vicar013
Ebay has some bargains on there and its addictive as crack trying to get things. You just have to be careful who you trade with. Common sense stuff innit. I scan previous Buyers comments, there's always gonna be issues with some items but you can spot a Seller who wants a clean history, be cautious of ebayers who have very little history. But over all I'd say most of the people I've traded with on there are very understanding when, or rather before, it comes to disputes. The ebay dispute system is heavily in favor of the buyer as long as you use paypal.

I'm glad you got what you were after in the end Tony The Tiger, somehow everyone profited. Maybe apart from the person who buys a reconditioned Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens which fails after a months use... he won't think they're all that Grrrrrreat.
ahhhthankyou.
darthrevan
Tony The Tiger wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

*The partial refund worked out well. I bought it for 80.99. I accepted a partial refund of $40. I then clearly described the problems and sold it under the auction title "Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens (Region:US) READ DESCRIPTION:AS IS Partly functional" By being forthright, the people who knew how to fix the problem bid aggressively and I sold the broken lens for $66.99 (including shipping). By the time, I paid USPS priority flat rate of $5.10, ebay fees of $6.03 and paypal fees of $2.91, I actually profited by purchasing the broken item. I also taught the seller a lesson by sending him a link to watch my auction.

P.S. I picked up a replacement lens that actually works for $75.98. I saved an additional $5.01 in the deal.

i am glad to hear it worked out for you and also for the better. Kind of offtopic in a sense, but some people do like you did, but with junk cars. they part them out and sell the parts and tend to make more than if they took it to a scrape yard. I would have done them same thing you did, except i probably wouldnt have sold it again. I am not much of a seller, though I believe since you advertised it as broke then it is perfectly fine. Maybe you wont experience more trouble from some of the Ebay sellers.