FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Blackberry Torch

Tony The Tiger
I purchased the BlackBerry Torch 9810 in September of 2011. I lost my phone two weeks ago and replaced it with the same model. That model of smartphone was released in August of 2011. The BlackBerry Torch 9800 came out in 2009 and was groundbreaking for its browser abilities as I understand it. BlackBerry is continuing to try to milk this line of smartphones with the BlackBerry Torch 9850 and BlackBerry Torch 9860 also having been released in August 2011. I have been told by some people that the BlackBerry Torch is an antiquated line as are BlackBerry's in general. I notice that the BlackBerry is lagging greatly in app development and availability. What is the BlackBerry smartphone market share these days and how does it compare to the past? How about the Torch. I see that AT&T stopped carrying this model phone. Is it really old news now?
SonLight
Most people regard Blackberrys as yesterday's technology. I have an older model, probably five or six years old by now. While it has vastly greater functionality than a basic cell phone, I also find it hard to use because of the tiny keys.

I think by now everyone has their mind on Androids and Ipods, so even if Blackberry had a better model they would have a hard time convincing the public. For me, a touch screen is essential to provide an effective high-level device. Perhaps someone with smaller, more agile fingers would have better luck than I with a Blackberry keyboard.
badai
SonLight wrote:
Most people regard Blackberrys as yesterday's technology. I have an older model, probably five or six years old by now. While it has vastly greater functionality than a basic cell phone, I also find it hard to use because of the tiny keys.

I think by now everyone has their mind on Androids and Ipods, so even if Blackberry had a better model they would have a hard time convincing the public. For me, a touch screen is essential to provide an effective high-level device. Perhaps someone with smaller, more agile fingers would have better luck than I with a Blackberry keyboard.

10 years ago when data plan was prohibitively expensive and there is no push technology for retrieving e-mail, blackberry is the only choice you have.

now you have cheap data plan and "push" (long polling) for everything, and with blackberry disabling long polling and insist their users to use BES/BIS (which is not free) to get push message, i think their death is imminent.

but if you just need BBM (which do not run on any other devices/OS and only for BB owner) and e-mail, and need real push (instead of long pooling to save on battery), then you can continue live in your perfect small world.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:

When did this shift occur. Oddly on TV shows the characters that use what is suppose to represent modern technology seem to use BlackBerry. On shows like Weeds, and White Collar, I see the characters using models similar to mine. (Actually, I should confess, I am still only in season 6 with Weeds, but on White Collar, they used the BlackBerry Torch in the most recent season if I recall. I think in several other shows I see the BlackBerry. As hip as the Samsung seems, I don't see it on TV. When Windows Phone came out a couple years ago, I saw it on several TV shows (Such as Hawaii Five-0) in the first weeks it came out. I still see a lot of iPhone and BlackBerry in use by TV characters. When I walk around on the streets, I see a lot of people using BlackBerry, but they are mostly professionals. I don't know what handset sales are like on college campuses.
badai
using TV characters as references? no wonder you use blackberry.
Tony The Tiger
badai wrote:
using TV characters as references? no wonder you use blackberry.

Even badasses like Olivia Pope use BlackBerrys.
zimmer
new blackberry 10 is on the way to its release.. i just wonder what are the new features on this since there phone hardware specifications are very low compared with other brands.

here is the link to its official news: http://us.blackberry.com/campaigns/blackberry-10.html
milkshake01
I recommend Android. It is much better than BlackBerry.
Tony The Tiger
milkshake01 wrote:
I recommend Android. It is much better than BlackBerry.

Is it better than BlackBerry 10? Does it operate better or just have better apps? Is it better than Apple IOS?
samanyolu07
OMG Blackberry OS too slow. Blackberry out,Android/iOS in.
JasonNewman
not gonna lie i absolutely loved my blackberry curve 8330. even though it's aincent I used it last year (march-may of 2011) and it was soooo nice for texting, you get so used to the keys and you can type so fricken fast. unfortunately, being on straight talks bring your own phone plan, blackberrys can't be used. but, i would if i could, in a heart beat.
Tony The Tiger
JasonNewman wrote:
not gonna lie i absolutely loved my blackberry curve 8330. even though it's aincent I used it last year (march-may of 2011) and it was soooo nice for texting, you get so used to the keys and you can type so fricken fast. unfortunately, being on straight talks bring your own phone plan, blackberrys can't be used. but, i would if i could, in a heart beat.

My BlackBerry Torch is the only smart phone I have ever had. I like it, but am not sure that I would not like something else more if I gave it a chance. I woulld like to eventually get one of the smartphones that has a lot of compatible apps. So many of the apps that I want are not available in BlackBerry compatible format.