FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anette Olzon leaves Nightwish

Afaceinthematrix
I meant to post this yesterday when it actually happened (I read the official interview about 10 minutes after it was posted to) but I didn't have time. Furthermore, I don't usually post information about bands because most people won't know of the bands that I listen to. However, Nightwish is pretty popular.

This probably makes more than one person reading this happy. So many people hated Anette because they couldn't get over the fact that Tarja left the band and will never come back. They couldn't get over the fact that bands change. If they don't change, they get boring. I actually liked Anette; I thought that her voice really worked on their new album and on DPP. It didn't work for old Nightwish songs but I liked their new stuff as well. I have a ticket to see Nightwish live on Friday. Apparently Floor Jansen from After Forever is filling in. This should be interesting. I'm glad that I at least got to see Nightwish once with Anette.

I am also happy that Tarja is also no longer with the band. Yes, her voice was amazing but I was getting sick of all of the ballads that they were making. They needed change - something new! Anette brought that. Oceanborn is still my favorite album because it is the heaviest and least orchestrated (after that they went from being a metal band with orchestra support to being an orchestra with some metal support). However, their new album is also very good. Maybe once they find a new permanent replacement they'll again move their music into a new direction. That is what I like about Nightwish. Every album is completely different and so you never get tired of them. As much as I love Slayer, they essentially have three albums. They have 10 albums total (I'm not counting their cover album) but they are all essentially remaking or mixing together all of the stuff off of South of Heaven, Show No Mercy, and Reign in Blood.

Like I said, my favorite Nightwish album is Oceanborn because it is definitely the heaviest. It was actual metal; now they are mostly orchestra. Oceanborn was also the first album that I purchased. I wish that I could post some Oceanborn songs (such as Stargazers and The Riddler) here but any copy on Youtube will be copyrighted and so I do not wish to post it. However, I will post two music videos (one from the Tarja era and another from the Anette era) that are posted on their official Youtube page and so free to listen to.

Nightwish - Nemo:

Nightwish - Storytime:
c'tair
Wow, I wonder what happened now?

I actually liked the "old Nightwish" because well, it fills a spot in my list called "ballades" pretty good. When it gets boring, I switch to some other band, but I always know that I can come back to those good ballades if I get the feeling. I also listened to Anette's version of some Nightwish classics and they totally missed the spot. I guess some things just don't mix,lol. But their new stuff with Anette was decent, albeit not to my tastes.

It's a shame though that Nightwish didn't stick together and experiment. My favorite band, Metallica, seems to have stuck together (more or less, minus Cliff and Jason). James, Kirk, and Lars seem to have experimented a lot (90's and early 2000) but have still managed to make pretty awesome music. There are albums which I like a bit less than their first three, but even those albums have their jewels.

Do you know why Anette left?
Afaceinthematrix
c'tair wrote:
I also listened to Anette's version of some Nightwish classics and they totally missed the spot. I guess some things just don't mix,lol.

That's because their old stuff wasn't written for Anette's voice just like their new stuff wasn't written for Tarja's voice. I'm sorry, but Tarja could NEVER have sang this:

I'm sorry, but the singing on that is brilliant. The singing on Storytime is also brilliant. It is fast and extremely well enunciated. Most singers would lose their breath and faint trying to keep up. On Scaretale, the singing is pure brilliant. My favorite part is on the line where she says, "Pigs squeal" as she squeals her voice. It's brilliant on the album and brilliant on this live version.

Quote:
Do you know why Anette left?

Anette was basically the model of personal problems. I know that she just had a baby, she went through a divorce, she got ill, etc. She was also ill last week and couldn't perform a show and so the band had the singers from the two opening bands fill in and this offended Anette. She felt that the show should have been rescheduled because the fans paid to see Nightwish, not some of Nightwish with Alissa White (from the Agonist) and Elize Ryd from Kamelot.

I've also seen interviews with Tuomas - who writes all of their brilliant music - and he's extremely opinionated about everything and so I imagine that he's a pain to work with.

The opinion of most people is that Anette's temporary replacement - Floor Jansen - is a much better singer. I don't know if she's much better; she has an operatic voice. The truth is that most people just prefer her. Anette was pretty talented at what she did. People were saying extremely rude things about Anette like, "Like I am totally so excited that like Nightwish is back!" and ignoring Anette's contributions. I listened to the live show from two nights ago on Youtube. Floor did the old songs better than Anette because they were written for a voice closer to hers than Anette. I heard her sing stuff off their last two albums and it was awful. I mean it was terrible because it just didn't fit. An example for you: James Hetfield used to be able to sing before he blew his voice out (although he definitely couldn't sing at first; he had no singing ability on Kill 'Em All). If, in 1989, you asked him to sing Master of Puppets he would have done quite well. If you asked him to sing Number of the Beat by Maiden, it would have been awful. Meanwhile, ask Bruce Dickinson to sing Number of the Beast and it will be awesome. Ask him to sing Master of Puppets and it will be awful. You have to sing songs written for your voice.
Cosmoslayer
I'm either sad or happy about this, I guess there is no more Nightwish? It's impossible for Tarja to return now. Sad
Afaceinthematrix
Cosmoslayer wrote:
I'm either sad or happy about this, I guess there is no more Nightwish? It's impossible for Tarja to return now. :(

How is there no more Nightwish? Floor Jansen is filling in right now. And what does this have to do with Tarja? This post is about Anette leaving! It's crap like this that really annoys me. It is completely disrespectful to the rest of the band - who are all talented musicians - and to Anette - who was also a very talented singer that just happens to have a new style. Tarja won't come back; get the Hell over it! Bands change; they evolve. Nightwish is a BAND - not a singer, and they make pretty good music now. Stop living in the past and if you're so obsessed with Tarja then listen to her solo material - it's not nearly as good as Nightwish material because she doesn't have Tuomas writing it. That's more proof that Nightwish is a BAND and NOT a singer.
Cosmoslayer
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:
I'm either sad or happy about this, I guess there is no more Nightwish? It's impossible for Tarja to return now. Sad

How is there no more Nightwish? Floor Jansen is filling in right now. And what does this have to do with Tarja? This post is about Anette leaving! It's crap like this that really annoys me. It is completely disrespectful to the rest of the band - who are all talented musicians - and to Anette - who was also a very talented singer that just happens to have a new style. Tarja won't come back; get the Hell over it! Bands change; they evolve. Nightwish is a BAND - not a singer, and they make pretty good music now. Stop living in the past and if you're so obsessed with Tarja then listen to her solo material - it's not nearly as good as Nightwish material because she doesn't have Tuomas writing it. That's more proof that Nightwish is a BAND and NOT a singer.

Okay, okay. I'm not arguing with you just statin my opinion, Jeeez! Rolling Eyes
Afaceinthematrix
Your opinion was also off topic. This topic is about Anette leaving Nightwish and not about Tarja coming back. You mentioned Tarja's name but didn't even bother bringing up Anette. If you're so concerned about her then start a Tarja topic.
c'tair
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
c'tair wrote:
I also listened to Anette's version of some Nightwish classics and they totally missed the spot. I guess some things just don't mix,lol.

That's because their old stuff wasn't written for Anette's voice just like their new stuff wasn't written for Tarja's voice. I'm sorry, but Tarja could NEVER have sang this:

Yeah, that's why I wrote that some things just don't mix ie. old songs with new vocals or new songs with old vocals. The "old" nightwish just hits the right spot for me, their style and all. The new one, not so much, so I just don't listen to the newer albums Smile
Blummer
Second conflict? Shocked I've read this - "Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved."
TwoOfDiamonds
I'm really sorry to hear this Sad Anette is a great singer and she gave Nightwish a nice metal touch . Listening now to After Forever - Energize me , so I can see how this one will do and I kinda' like her. I was at their Dark Passion Play album promoting concert and besides the songs on that album Anette sang Wish I Had An Angel and it was awesome, so she could sing some of the old songs too.
Blummer
I've listened to some videos on Youtube, with this temporary vocalist. Not bad, but I hope they will find someone, at least to work on next 2 albums.
protestantreformation
ask for help