FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do I use this website?

Kayden
I joined this site since I saw it gave Unlimited MySQL databases, I thought that it was like those website making websites but I think it's not. Can someone please tell me how to use this site?
darthrevan
If you don't know html, you could use a cms Web application. For example cms made simple. Search for cms for more examples. If you can install one, it would make it easy for you to just enter the content you want. That is what I would do. I know html but I have started using cms for my site as well. Hope it helps.
Qantas94Heavy
Kayden wrote:
I joined this site since I saw it gave Unlimited MySQL databases, I thought that it was like those website making websites but I think it's not. Can someone please tell me how to use this site?

Frihost is unlike websites such as Weebly, Webs, Wix, etc. in that you need to know how to code in web languages, with the basis of (pretty much) all websites being HTML. I would recommend that you at least learn the basics of HTML before even using something like a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, even if you never plan on making the HTML code from scratch on your website. A good guide to start to understand the idea of HTML is the documents at the Mozilla Development Network (link here).

A MySQL database is a type of database which can connected to through your webpages so that you can store user information, show dynamic content (that's only part of the way though) and many other things. I'm not sure what is so important about "Unlimited MySQL databases" for your use, so what do you plan to use your website for? That will influence what type of advice I will give to you if you need further help with creating your website.

Anyway, if you are looking for something similar to the experience in those "create–your–own–page–easy–peasy" websites, you will need a WYSIWYG editor. To use (most) WYSIWYG editors, you will need to download the software onto your computer, then create your website there. Once saved and completed, you can upload the website onto the Frihost servers by logging in to the FTP server that is applicable to you and placing into the "/domains/[your domain here]/public_html" (that's for Server 4, may be different on other servers) folder so that you can view it online. An example of WYSIWYG editors include Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Expression Web, and some free ones like TinyMCE and CKEditor.
MikeFromHC
Joomla might be a good choice and can (I think) be installed from this site.

It is fairly easy to use, there are a ton of tutorials on line for all levels and most of them are free at the basic level.

You can write HTML if you want and knowing a bit of it is helpful.
It might be useful on occasion even in Joomla, however for the most part using HTML for design is worse than using WordStar instead of Word.