FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why replace "@" with "#" in email addres

likeabreeze
Just curious about why so many people(especially programmers) replace "@" with "#" when writing their e-mail address..
Gregoric
I think people do that because there are automated email extractors on the web. They try to find every email based on how it should look: some@thing.com. Addresses collected in such way are then flooded with spam.

If an user replaces the @ sign with anything other, those robots which search for emails will ignore it while reader will be notified that @ was intentionally replaced.

When I post my email on public pages, I write it like this: avetrus(.at.)gmail(.dot.)com. Everyone can use it easily and I don't get attacked by spam bots Smile.
Josso
Yeah something like. Whilst we're along those lines. I personally have always adopted this approach.

If you screenshot say a post in preview, cut it out then it looks pretty natural in the page with the same font and colours and all that - but you can't copy and paste it obviously. Good stuff. There is also email forms with captchas and stuff which is the proper way to do it but if you are short in time I always find the above method pretty satisfactory.
zimmer
i see.. such useful information because on my website i type it exactly it is.
deanhills
Both ideas are excellent. Think I will try the screenshot idea, and if I'm in a great hurry, replace it with text.
standready
Gregoric wrote:
I think people do that because there are automated email extractors on the web. They try to find every email based on how it should look: some@thing.com. Addresses collected in such way are then flooded with spam.

If an user replaces the @ sign with anything other, those robots which search for emails will ignore it while reader will be notified that @ was intentionally replaced.

When I post my email on public pages, I write it like this: avetrus(.at.)gmail(.dot.)com. Everyone can use it easily and I don't get attacked by spam bots Smile.

Exactly! Anything with the "@" symbol gets looked at closely by those darn bots.
likeabreeze
Gregoric wrote:

Reasonable explaination!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Gregoric wrote:

I think people do that because there are automated email extractors on the web.

Yeah, I did a search, and found there are so many email extractors available on the Internet Shocked ,really shocked...
lovescience
I was guessing # could be a typo of @.

Replacing @ with #, or using at or image are too can keep email safe.
badai
you can also use this tool:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

human can copy paste it. normal harvesters usually don't have utility to handle this kind of "encryption" because it will take too long to handle every number assuming it's "encrypted" e-mail and look for the encryption javascript function and try to decode it.
Insanity
I think screenshots is a good idea, but it's too time consuming to do it for anything that you need to be doing multiple times. I've seen other people do things like [@] or [dot], and telling the reader to replace it with the proper symbol.
likeabreeze
badai wrote:
you can also use this tool:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

human can copy paste it. normal harvesters usually don't have utility to handle this kind of "encryption" because it will take too long to handle every number assuming it's "encrypted" e-mail and look for the encryption javascript function and try to decode it.

well, I doubt whether it will take too long to decode this type of "encrypted" e-mail.
actually, its mechanism is quite simple.
this is how it works,
after the e-mail address is put into the textbox, this tool convert every character in the e-mail address into ASCII.
For example,"dfi@ss.com" -------var emailriddlerarray=[100,102,105,64,115,115,46,99,111,109]
I still hold the view that screenshot idea is the best.
I am just wondering if there is a tool for us to quickly convert e-mail into image..
spinout
hm, I really wonder if this hiding of addresses work? The bots can be that dumb! I would create a bot that is far beyond this level!
Bondings
spinout wrote:
hm, I really wonder if this hiding of addresses work? The bots can be that dumb! I would create a bot that is far beyond this level!

Not all bots are that dumb. However most of them are. A lot of the bots are run by individual spammers looking for email addresses. Most of them are not very tech savvy. Also, by trying to create email addresses from strings that look like them, you tend to get more false positives, which they should try to avoid as every non-existing email address makes it easier for email providers to detect them.
darthrevan
The way I do it is, I like:
Username at domain dot com. I hate the idea that a bot will collect my email address. Luckily I don't get much spam in my inbox, gmail does good on that part I think.
RosenCruz
There are too many, intelligently coded spam bots out there, crawling web sites and collecting any kind of useful information. E mail addresses are #1 Wink
deanhills
What I find interesting is that I have separate Internet e-mail accounts for my Forum posting, and to date, even with posting my e-mail account in one Forum when I requested a service, I don't get ANY spam in those accounts. Yet the one I have at work has both a junk mail section, as well as a separate black-list spam account. The latter being very irritating as the account filters e-mail addresses with different country abbreviations. However, I still get an overwhelming number of spam posts in my e-mail account, more spam posts than genuine mail. I've just noticed two spam posts making themselves into my Outlook Calendar as well this week. Shocked
drunkenkoz
I find that spambots always have a way of getting your email no matter what you do in order to keep it from happening. I have a private email that I only use for personal needs such as emailing family or co-workers. Spam bots have somehow managed to find my email address and now bomb my email with spam.

When it comes to sharing my email address with people I usually just make an image or send them the email privately so it's not displayed publicly.
Josso
deanhills wrote:
What I find interesting is that I have separate Internet e-mail accounts for my Forum posting, and to date, even with posting my e-mail account in one Forum when I requested a service, I don't get ANY spam in those accounts. Yet the one I have at work has both a junk mail section, as well as a separate black-list spam account. The latter being very irritating as the account filters e-mail addresses with different country abbreviations. However, I still get an overwhelming number of spam posts in my e-mail account, more spam posts than genuine mail. I've just noticed two spam posts making themselves into my Outlook Calendar as well this week. Shocked

Technique I use I would like to share... every site you have to register with, check the site on siteadvisor.com (the only good thing McAfee have ever done). They have a bunch of spider virtual machines that crawl the web and register unique email addresses to anywhere with a form for them to see if they get any emails originating from anywhere but that site over many months. It also does some other cool stuff like installs downloads shows you exactly what changes they make when installed. As you would expect it hasn't crawled all the sites in the world but I still find it damn useful.
darthrevan
Thankfully, using Google mail,I don't get spam in inbox much at all. I use gmx mail too, though it is for packaging related stuff for Debian Linux. If I expect spam I use my yahoo mail account, lol. At first I didn't design it for that purpose but slowly my yahoo mail started getting a decent amount of spam, so I decided to use it as a spam email account and careless.
RosenCruz
Yeah gmail seems to be a nice badass on catching spam. But Yahoo does it well too, recently
grofet
many bad people searching active email address to send spam or sell it to spammer for a lot of profit.
i got hundreds of spam every month in my yahoo mail account.
Mr_Howl
If you are using GMail, you should be aware of plus addressing. It's a feature that lets you insert a plus after your regular email to show where the sender got your email. For example, if your email is bobsmith@gmail.com, you can tell people your address is bobsmith+banana@gmail.com, and it will still be sent to you.

The benefit of this is that you can filter your mail based on which address it was sent to. So if you see a lot of spam being sent to bobsmith+banana@gmail.com, you could filter out all of those emails and then change to a different plus address.

I use this technique often when signing up for things on websites of questionable reputation. For example, if I was signing up at ShadyWebsite.com, I would give them the email as bobsmith+shadywebsite@gmail.com. I could then learn if ShadyWebsite sells data to spammers.

The only downside is that smart spammers could remove the plus and just send it to the base address (this could be thwarted if Gmail base addresses could contain pluses...actually, can they?). Also, some web forms use poor RegEx checking that do not consider emails containing the '+' character to be valid.
Josso
I noticed that - it's a cool feature. I also do something similar and usually make seperate addresses if I think there's a chance I'll get unwanted email as a result of signing up to a site.

My experience of yahoo and hotmail filtering is that it's always been pretty rubbish.
darthrevan
Mr_Howl wrote:
If you are using GMail, you should be aware of plus addressing. It's a feature that lets you insert a plus after your regular email to show where the sender got your email. For example, if your email is bobsmith@gmail.com, you can tell people your address is bobsmith+banana@gmail.com, and it will still be sent to you.

The benefit of this is that you can filter your mail based on which address it was sent to. So if you see a lot of spam being sent to bobsmith+banana@gmail.com, you could filter out all of those emails and then change to a different plus address.

I use this technique often when signing up for things on websites of questionable reputation. For example, if I was signing up at ShadyWebsite.com, I would give them the email as bobsmith+shadywebsite@gmail.com. I could then learn if ShadyWebsite sells data to spammers.

The only downside is that smart spammers could remove the plus and just send it to the base address (this could be thwarted if Gmail base addresses could contain pluses...actually, can they?). Also, some web forms use poor RegEx checking that do not consider emails containing the '+' character to be valid.

Yeah it is a nice feature, though I usually don't use it to filter for spam so I may start doing so. I usually seduction it to just filter for certain things like Linux packaging mail and regular mail.