FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replying to old threads

darthrevan
I seen a rule I believe about replying to an old thread. I believe it said not to reply to old threads pretty much. So if I want to talk about a subject that was posted a while back do I start a new topic or reply to the old topic. Also how old is too old to reply too as well.
Bondings
darthrevan wrote:
I seen a rule I believe about replying to an old thread. I believe it said not to reply to old threads pretty much. So if I want to talk about a subject that was posted a while back do I start a new topic or reply to the old topic. Also how old is too old to reply too as well.

If the old thread is still completely relevant (some topics get a bit outdated, other don't), you can reply to the old thread. On the other hand if you create a new topic, you can approach it from a different angle (chosen by yourself) and hence decide more what the rest of the topic is about.
johans
for me old topic means history and it is important that the topic we discuss now have been already shout out before.. so keep the research first before posting..

this means also some other persons think it before than we do now..
lucascoelho
Yeah, it's an interesting question, indeed!

As I was reading the previous responses, I got myself thinking "hum, it doesn't make much sense whether it's old or new post (except for those topics that get naturally outdated, of course)", but then I realized something: I can't say for sure I remember ALL posts I replied to, but I definitely tend to avoid answering to those I've already replied to (and I can clearly see the following discussion doesn't connect to my point of view or opinion stated on my first reply). So, bringing to light those old ghosts long gone may not be too much of a good idea...

Maybe it's worth mentioning, I almost always reply to the topics appearing on Frihost home page... which means, those that have just been replied by someone else. Obviously, I also reply to topics I'm watching (after having replied to them),

Again, maybe this is all about good sense and judgement, knowing to interpret whether a publication can be brought back to the spotlight or if it's better been left alone... :-p
ocalhoun
It's also about what you post in it to revive it.

You want to add something of definite value to the thread, not revive it for something inane like 'I agree'.
darthrevan
ocalhoun wrote:

You want to add something of definite value to the thread, not revive it for something inane like 'I agree'.

I agree. I hate seeing thanks for sharing, or something similar. That applies anytime for any post, old or new for me.
lucascoelho
darthrevan wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I agree. I hate seeing thanks for sharing, or something similar. That applies anytime for any post, old or new for me.

I agree!!! Wink
(Just making a point here... Laughing)

And thanks for sharing... (another point) Razz