FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sources for free legal ebooks for children

appsapps
Came across this site today and thought I'd use the link to kick things off. If you know of other good sites, feel free to add them to the thread.

ManyBooks.net currently has 2423 free ebooks in English, in their Young Readers section.

Most of these are very old and in the public domain. Some great classics in there too, as well as many I have never heard of. Many formats available, including Kindle.

http://manybooks.net/categories/CHI/1/en
Radar
Project Gutenberg is the obvious example. Very useful resource.

Not sure how many of them are child-oriented, but I haven't looked at it with that perspective.
Gregoric
Radar wrote:
Project Gutenberg is the obvious example. Very useful resource.

Not sure how many of them are child-oriented, but I haven't looked at it with that perspective.

Never heard of it, thanks.

There is some app called EbookDownloader or something like that with easy search engine for free ebooks spread over the internet. I just can't remember the exact name, sorry for that.
SonLight
I tried two candidates for your ebook downloader, ebook-downloader.com and freebookdownloader.com and was very disappointed with them. Probably these are both "me-too" sites. If anyone finds one that is not too commercialized and simplifies the process of downloading several books at once, please chime in.

Gutenberg used to have an app that allowed you to select from a list and download easily in your preferred format, but I haven't seen anything like that for years. A good search mechanism is probably more important than the automated download feature.