FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fractals: Using them in a web page. I just finished.

chasbeen

The project:
I always love a challenge and have been thinking about Fractals for a bit and wondered if I could use them in a web page.

Fractals are built using a shape at varying scale many times over. An example of real life usage of Fractals are the aerials used in mobile phones. These aerials are wound inside the mobile phone at a smaller and smaller size and are equivalent to a huge long aerial which would be impractical to attach to a "mobile device".

Here is the product of the project. All the circles are generated from a single text file reading data.
Also note that the webpage uses "vectors" and these can be scaled to any shape.

[url]
http://www.irunmywebsite.com/raphael/rapdevex.php
[/url]
fuzzkaizer
wow! now that's something else! i wished there were more sites with unconventional structure. reminds me of an interesting online presentation-tool i saw recently. also the content is interesting to stroll around..
chasbeen
FK
Thanks for coming back.
The problem starting topics with links is that people don't come bal.
Thanks for your feedback ...
deanhills
Very impressive Chasbeen. Cool
TheLimey
Hopefully one day I can pull this stuff off too
chasbeen
Thanks for popping in.
It's nice you visited.
I found nice comments before. The other day a guy Tweeted
"As the most significant Website for Raphael JavaScript on the Web it's also a bit Wak"

Well the Tweet appeared and I liked the first part but I wonder what the 2nd part means?

Anyway that again both...
milkshake01
I've never seen such a website design before. It is very unique. But, I don't really like the concept.
Magicman
It's an interesting design but seems confusing and runs horribly on my computer (Chrome on OSX). The circles just jump around and I don't know what I'm clicking on. If it ran smoother I'm sure it would be a unique website navigation experience.
LxGoodies
Magicman wrote:
It's an interesting design but seems confusing and runs horribly on my computer (Chrome on OSX). The circles just jump around and I don't know what I'm clicking on. If it ran smoother I'm sure it would be a unique website navigation experience.

I agree. On Safari (airbook) I see a very jumpy UI action. Once "zoomed in" it is very difficult to "zoom out". It would help to have a few navigation buttons on the side, or a functional [ESC] key to zoom out. You could use dynamic HTML + JavasScript to give it a smooth scroll on cursor keys.. at least, keep the central circle centered in the browser window.

Quote:
fractal

This looks like a tree. A tree is a special kind of fractal, but it is used everywhere in user interfaces. In fact, your page acts like a menu bar using circles instead of lists. It expands when you give one submenu focus. I think it's a lovely visual concept, but your implementation needs a better workout.

Smile Lx