FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How to create my own Windows PE?





likeabreeze
There are many kinds of Windows PE(Windows Preinstallation Environment) online, some of which are really awesome, because it comprise many functions...
It would be great if I could create my own WinPE, but have no idea how to start...
Do I have to be a C++ guru to do this?
ocalhoun
Windows Preinstallation Environment?

Is that what they're calling DOS these days?
johans
huh? WINDOWS PE? this is my time heard about this.. what this is all about? can someone explain this in details?
likeabreeze
I am SURPRISED you guys have never heard about WinPE!
Shocked Shocked Shocked
ocalhoun wrote:
Windows Preinstallation Environment?
Is that what they're calling DOS these days?

I don't know if they call it "DOS", but I am sure WinPE is intended as a replacement for MS-DOS. A growing number of users choose to use WinPE to install systems these days, actually, WinPE can be used to do many things, including surfing the internet. Which means that you can use a USB flash drive to go online, even though you have nothing in your computer.
johans wrote:
huh? WINDOWS PE? this is my time heard about this.. what this is all about? can someone explain this in details?

It is more than just "pre-installation".
well, click here to get more...
ocalhoun
likeabreeze wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:
Windows Preinstallation Environment?
Is that what they're calling DOS these days?

I don't know if they call it "DOS", but I am sure WinPE is intended as a replacement for MS-DOS. A growing number of users choose to use WinPE to install systems these days, actually, WinPE can be used to do many things, including surfing the internet. Which means that you can use a USB flash drive to go online, even though you have nothing in your computer.

Ah, so it is.

Back in my day, one always used it to partition and format a drive before starting the windows installer. -- And also used it for a variety of troubleshooting and maintenance tasks.

Sure, they may have put a new label on it, but I suspect it's still largely the same thing.


As for 'making your own'... I'm assuming you mean making your own bootable portable drive that runs it?
All you've got to do there is make sure the drive is set to be bootable and take priority over the hard drive -- not necessarily an easy task if you're talking about a USB drive -- Then put the few basic OS files on it, adding in extra files/programs to add in whatever extra features you need besides just a bare command line.


...But if your goal is to have an OS on a flash drive, why not use a linux variant so you can have a GUI OS? Command lines are still practical and efficient at times, but generally a GUI is preferable.
likeabreeze
ocalhoun wrote:

...But if your goal is to have an OS on a flash drive, why not use a linux variant so you can have a GUI OS? Command lines are still practical and efficient at times, but generally a GUI is preferable.

You have to know that I am a DIY enthusiast!
I've seen a lot people making there own WinPE, some of which are very popular online...
badai
likeabreeze wrote:
There are many kinds of Windows PE(Windows Preinstallation Environment) online, some of which are really awesome, because it comprise many functions...
It would be great if I could create my own WinPE, but have no idea how to start...
Do I have to be a C++ guru to do this?


no need to be a guru of anything.

http://reboot.pro/forum/22/

read the tutorial section to start. then choose your posion.
likeabreeze
badai wrote:

no need to be a guru of anything.

http://reboot.pro/forum/22/

read the tutorial section to start. then choose your posion.

Hey,
that's awesome!!!
Related topics
Virus that create false windows services
Best Freeware
How you can crash your own windows
Spying on the spyware makers
Windows Vista - An Introduction
Windows Vista Official Thread
Programming links, info, and tutorials
Windows LiveCD
Spanish Javascript Tutorial
Several Computer Issues
How To Reset Windows 7 Password
C++
What is your operating system?
Which OS do you prefer?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.