FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Double points for thread starters

truespeed
I don't know if this can be coded but the more threads there are the more replies there are and the more posts overall there are,so if points for the OP were doubled then there would be more incentive for users to start topics of conversation,more topics = more monthly posts = more traffic.
darthrevan
Though this could also encourage opening forum threads that already exists as well.
Gregoric
I don't want to sound like a total pessimist but - honestly - I see it as source of spam and single-post threads.

If someone is creative enough, likes to start new, interesting discussion - he is rewarded as can easily start far more new threads with new topics = gets far more points.

By the way, I've always had feeling that creating new threads gives a bit more points than just answering... (because I mostly get 5 points). Well, maybe that's just my starting posts that are so long Smile.
truespeed
Of course it is open to abuse,that is what the moderators are for,but,it is easier for those who just want to rack up the points to reply to current threads,starting new threads takes a little thought,in terms of the title and content and to make any significant amount of points you would have to make your post more than a couple of lines anyway,so I am not sure if the points spammers would just go around starting threads for the fun of it.
deanhills
Great suggestion Truespeed. Provided the OP is a 5-point post? That may take care of the one-liners and abuse.
rjraaz
@Deanhills, Why this suggestion is great? Could you please tell me more about your opinion.
SonLight
I too see this as a bit problematic. Perhaps the first two points should be the same, but after that points would be doubled. That would mean that a reasonably-long answer to a post would provide 2 to 5 points, whereas a reasonably-long new topic would provide 2 to 8 points. Another strategy would be to give extra points only if there is an answer. That would be hard to keep track of and still be subject to abuse.
deanhills
rjraaz wrote:
@Deanhills, Why this suggestion is great? Could you please tell me more about your opinion.
The way I see Truespeed's suggestion, the objective is to encourage quality threads by rewarding people who make quality threads. Challenge could be that people may abuse this if they were to post new threads just for the sake of earning coins by posting mediocre one-liner OPs. I thought if there could also be a rule that in order to get coins for the OP that it should earn at least the maximum 5 points for length that this may help to alleviate the abuse.

Must say from time to time I see some really GREAT new threads where the author obviously must have put lots of effort into the writing of it, and they really deserve to be rewarded for the effort. If it can be done automatically that would be great.
busaboss
I honestly think that it will not help. This will only cause more spam and will only put a heavy load on the moderators. Also, if this will be implemented, lots of people will post tons of threads in hopes of getting more points.. Very Happy
william
The potential rise in spam and low quality threads is of concern. But instead of doubling the points, how about just raising the point cap for thread starters? So in order to earn more than five points, the length of the post must exceed the minimum length to get five points. That might be a decent way to reward those who make "quality" topics.
ocalhoun
william wrote:
The potential rise in spam and low quality threads is of concern. But instead of doubling the points, how about just raising the point cap for thread starters? So in order to earn more than five points, the length of the post must exceed the minimum length to get five points. That might be a decent way to reward those who make "quality" topics.

That does, of course, assume that a long topic-starting post is a good topic-starting post...

Not necessarily true.

No, if extra points are to be awarded, I'd like to see it done as some sort of feedback, where user up/down ratings would affect how much a post generates.
Naturally, such a system would need safeguards against abuse... and those are possible.
The real reason we don't get that is that it would simply take too much coding.
Gregoric
ocalhoun wrote:
william wrote:

That does, of course, assume that a long topic-starting post is a good topic-starting post...

Not necessarily true.

No, if extra points are to be awarded, I'd like to see it done as some sort of feedback, where user up/down ratings would affect how much a post generates.
Naturally, such a system would need safeguards against abuse... and those are possible.
The real reason we don't get that is that it would simply take too much coding.

Yeah, this one sounds good. Something like quality posts (mentioned somewhere above) with rating system would be okay. How to stop abusers? Multi-accounting would have to be fought even more, some anti-automation. Also, what do you think if we would have to use points to rate thread? Let's say 0.3 of point per one rating? And thread creator would get 1 additional point after he gets 5 'rate-ups'? It would really be useful and make people start new, fresh and interesting discussions.
SonLight
Gregoric wrote:
... what do you think if we would have to use points to rate thread? Let's say 0.3 of point per one rating? And thread creator would get 1 additional point after he gets 5 'rate-ups'? It would really be useful and make people start new, fresh and interesting discussions.

I really like your idea of having raters pay more points than they will potentially give. That would mean that the only people likely to use it are those who are not sweating having enough points. I would suggest that if such a system were used, the points should be deducted _after_ calculating coins earned for the day. The points "used" could then be even more extreme, perhaps 2 points to give a half-point to an opening post, and 4 points to give a half-point to an answer.

The coding effort may make this unlikely, but I hope someone will remember it if a partially self-moderating feature is desired in the future. This type of "recommendation" for a post could potentially be used to classify it as a better choice to read than average, also.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:

The coding effort may make this unlikely, but I hope someone will remember it if a partially self-moderating feature is desired in the future. This type of "recommendation" for a post could potentially be used to classify it as a better choice to read than average, also.

Oh aye... it could do much more than just allocate points.
It could also help flag bad posts for moderators...
It could also allow exceptionally highly rated posts to automatically get in the featured topic box...
It could also allow a way for the community as a whole to provide feedback to each member about the value of each of their contributions...
*edit*
It could also be used as a sorting method for topics (particularly for the 'related topics' box)...

*edit again*
One refinement I would add is that an entire thread's rating shouldn't simply depend on the first post's rating -- the thread's rating should be an average of all the posts in the thread, so that if a bad first post ends up generating a good discussion anyway, it can be highly rated as it deserves... and vice versa.

*last edit, I promise*
Here's a fun, and perhaps brilliant idea...
Rather than simple up/down voting... what if it were a bit more detailed...
Have ratings for...
-off topic
-good point
-too long; didn't read
-helpful
-dumb
-clever
-bad grammar
-makes a lot of sense
-doesn't make sense
-intriguing
-boring
-et cetera
Each could be assigned a numerical value, say 'good point' is +2, and 'too long; didn't read' is -1... and those numerical values could be used for features that need it... But these more descriptive ratings would provide much better feedback. When they're shown above/below/next to the post.
truespeed
^^ -too long; didn't read

Only joking Wink