FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Beginner in Linux with many questions

loveandormoney
Good afternoon.
Because of virus problems I left windos January 2012 and now I am using Linux for www.
It is fine and I like it, but some problems I have today.

How to install a program. I can install programs, which are offered in the Softwarecenter with
sudo apt-get install gedit and so on.
But how to install strange files like
opera or freepascal?

Using win I do download the file and then install
How this is done using Linux.
First download the file.
Then
what do I have to do.
Where should I copy the downloade file
using which directory.

Burning.
Burning DVD and CD did not work until I do now
zip twice and use names like
t1234567.zip
so no longe names.
Why linus only accept short names for burning.

thisisajpgfilellokatit.jpg produces mistakes during burinung using terminal or brasero.

Regards
manfer
loveandormoney wrote:

First download the file.
Then
what do I have to do.

As a linux user you must start to familiarize to read instructions and howtos. As an example opera has step by step instructions to do install.
http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/456/

If you want to know what is done more in depth and depending on your linux system type you could read about how the package manager used in your system works. If your system is a red hat style one the package manager is rpm and if your system is a debian style one the package manager is dpkg.

loveandormoney wrote:

Why linus only accept short names for burning.

You must be trying to burn in a mode that doesn't support long filenames. It is not linux that can't.

An optical device, CD, DVD... has a specific filesystem on it the same way a harddrive has. And as in a hardrive is not the same to have an ext3, NTFS, FAT32, ..., or whatever filesystem, same happen with different modes for optical devices, each one has different characteristics.

If you burn a disc in format ISO 9660 level 1 you have a limit in filenames length of 8 chars dot 3 chars for extension. (8.3 format)

ISO 9660 level 2 I think is 180 chars.

There is an extension called joliet that will allow more chars for ISO 9660 level 1.

UDF format allow long length filenames too.

It is a huge subject. Maybe the following can be a good starting read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

In resume there are quite a lot of optical media formats and that has nothing to do with the operating system you use to burn, maybe in windows you never learned about that because you where satisfied by the default format used in your burns.

Anyway it is always possible that brasero has a bug and in that case you can try other linux burning software like gnomebaker or k3b.
Bondings
About the installation of software, in Linux you usually try to always use the software center of your distribution (I think yours is Ubuntu or something similar). I would find it weird that it wouldn't have Opera.

However in case it doesn't have the software, the best way is to find and follow the instructions of the software to install it. Usually it's linked on the download page of the Linux version. Or you can try to Google for a tutorial.

Either the software is provided as a directly installable package that you can install directly, usually just by double clicking and agreeing to install it as root. I think for Debian/Ubuntu those end in .deb, for others it is .rpm. Sometimes the software is provided as source that you need to extract and compile. In that case follow the instructions, it's usually a few commands that you need to copy-paste in the console.
loveandormoney
"An optical device, CD, DVD... has a specific filesystem on it the same way a harddrive has. And as in a hardrive is not the same to have an ext3, NTFS, FAT32, ..., or whatever filesystem, same happen with different modes for optical devices, each one has different characteristics."

Good afternoon.
Thank You for help.
Did I understand You right
it is a problem of the dvd or cd?
I do know twice zip into files like a.zip and this to b.zip
and it is working.
The files are 112345678901234567890.avi
the name was not so long but Terminalburn and Brasero did not accept this.
Used from Dos I prefer t1234567.txt because this should manage every os System.
There was a warning
because one file was bigger then 2 GB.
Is that usual. The burning was ok, there was only a warning.

" As a linux user you must start to familiarize to read instructions and howtos. As an example opera has step by step instructions to do install.
http://www.opera.com/support/kb/view/456/"

Thank You for the help with opera.
The distributions I am using now are all deb based: Xubuntu and Siduction.
Most time I am using
sudo apt-get install programname.
But what programmes do react on this order?
Are these the CD programs or more?

How can I see, install is looking on hd for the programm and when is install looking to the www.
Im using now Linux for Online Computer.
Is it possible to use Linux offline?
Because very often
I think
Linux ist asking the www for example for updates.

"About the installation of software, in Linux you usually try to always use the software center of your distribution (I think yours is Ubuntu or something similar). I would find it weird that it wouldn't have Opera. "

As far as I understood Linux
Opera is a company and so You cannot find Opera on Live CDS
Is this wrong?
I could find midori and epiphany.

One question more:
How to learn the key system for Epiphany.
In my Linux Books key system password is a part of Gnome.
But I do not have Gnome or KDE, I am using xfce and lxde.

"Either the software is provided as a directly installable package that you can install directly, usually just by double clicking and agreeing to install it as root."
My questions:
First download on cd.
This is clear.
Then sudo and password.
OK
To which directory should I copy the file, most times it is one file.
Or can I start to unpack or install in any directory?

Until today I did only something like this
sudo
password
apt-get install midori using Xubuntu.

dpkg is the file system for Xubuntu and Siduction
because it is debian based?

The next days I am searching for freepascal and assembler compiler/interpreter for Linux.

Thank You for friendly help.
loveandormoney
How about updates Ubuntu-family.
In summertime there was Pangolin.
Now there is Quantan.
Do I have to organize a Live CD and clean the PC
or is there automatic an update every six months?

Regards
bahba
sudo apt-cache search <program>

then if found

sudo apt-get install <program>

Bahba
darthrevan
Quite easy, actually. Download the Deb file from opera's site, and dpkg -i <DEB-FILE>. Of course you will need to be root or use sudo
loveandormoney
bahba wrote:

then if found

Bahba

Thank You for help.

Another problem:
I do not know the name of the software.
Example:
Lond time I was searching for 7zip.
I could not find. 7zip.

So now I know it is p7zip.

Question: How can I find a programme
reading txt Files and make it as an wav file or mp3 as output.

Thank You.
manfer
loveandormoney wrote:
bahba wrote:

then if found

Bahba

Thank You for help.

Another problem:
I do not know the name of the software.
Example:
Lond time I was searching for 7zip.
I could not find. 7zip.

So now I know it is p7zip.

Question: How can I find a programme
reading txt Files and make it as an wav file or mp3 as output.

Thank You.

That's called text to speech so you have to look for "text to speech linux" if you want to find out the diferent software available for that task in linux or "text to speech ubuntu" if you want to find direct instructions for ubuntu for some text to speech software.

Normally all will lead you to project Festival and you'll look for instruction on how to install and use it on ubuntu
loveandormoney
Thank You for help.
I could find it.

One question more:
How can I speak to microphone and Linux is produciing a txt file.

The opposite of the last question:

How can Linux convert a wav file to txt
or I speak in a microphone and then there is a txt file?

Regards
manfer
For that you have to look for speech recognition. I don't know how mature is that technology in linux.

Projects like Julius or Sphinx

And there is at least one application that uses google voice api to do the speech recognition called Palaver.
loveandormoney
Thank You for Your friendliy help.

I have more questions
I hope this is ok.

Manipulating gif89.
I use Gimp now, but is there a Linux program
more speciial for create gif89 animamtions?

Manipulating movies.
I know there is a big offer of software.
I am looking for

a program read wmv avi or mpg
b I can add subtitlles
c I can add new sound
d I can bring to 5 minutes movies together for one 10 minute movie file.

Regards
and agaain

THANK YOU
loveandormoney
I ll add a problem.

How can I control
claws ore any other problem is not 80% cpu using because of a mistake.
cabenqc
Long answer short.

Basically, it is easy to find your answer from Internet.
Just go to a forum of your Linux Distro, that can solve your questions.

To learn Linux, better take a course if possible.
It's course driven approach
Because a good course with materials, teacher and classmates to discover together.
It's fun and more easy to learn IMHO.

Otherwise, a Jumpstart is also good.
It is self driven approach.
You need to have plenty of time, interest and drive.
If you got a bit money to spend, buy a few good linux books to read.
Some books can be useful for 10+ years.
Otherwise, google and download materials from Internet is still ok.
But linux learning curve is deeper than win in general.
You need to learn CLI in order to have good access of Linux.

Have fun.
loveandormoney
Quote:

Basically, it is easy to find your answer from Internet.
Just go to a forum of your Linux Distro, that can solve your questions.

Sorry no.

I always tried this
first.
But no answer or an answer like yesterday
I cannot understand.

This is the problem.

What is IMHO?

I am the owner of 10 Linux books and 7 PDF Workshops.

But if I read it
they describe things I do not need.

Thank You for help.

EXAMPLE of a funny problem:

Now for 5 months there is no e in claws:

I am writing:

Dar Nigjhbour

How ar You today.

Can somebody help me?
SonLight
Searching for information on the Internet is a skill you can learn, but no one knows it all. I like to use the duckduckgo search engine, partly because it eliminates more of the non-relavant pages. Sometimes Google does work better, so if I set up the search on ddg, I add a !g at the front to use Google.

If you get an error message, copy the exact text of the message (put it in quotes if you get too many hits) and search. Often the first few matches will relate to the exact problem you have.

I don't understand what "claws" is, so I'm not sure what your problem with missing e's is. I also wasn't sure how seriously to take your description of the alleged problem. If you can never type an e on that computer, you probably need to replace the keyboard. On the other hand, if you can type it on a command line, such as:

aptitude search claws

then it's likely to be a program or character set problem. On the command line, you can try out different character sets from the terminal -> set character encoding menu. The utf-8 encoding is usually a good choice, but you can select the codes for a specific language from there also.
loveandormoney
The problem:

Claws is an emailprogramme like thunderbird.

So I can not write some letters.

How can I search this problem in the internet?

Regards
SonLight
Ok, it was easy to search and find the program site, www.claws-mail.org

The user manual should explain how to use the program. Sometimes if you try to follow an example in the manual, you can either see where it does not work correctly, or see what is different from what you tried.

In some situations, it may treat a single letter as a command instead of input text. You neglected to say exactly where you were trying to type an e, but I assume you thought you were typing into the body of the email. If you describe what you did in order, maybe someone can figure out where it went wrong, or possibly trying to explain it will help you see what happened. Can you compose an email? (apparently, from the example you gave). Does it accept an e in the to: line and the subject: line?

If I understood you right, you can type any letter, except that an e is ignored (when you type e, does something else happen?). Also, I assume you can send an email. What about when you read an email? Do e's show up then?

What character set is being used on the computer? There might be a bug that affects it only if using a German character set, for example. Character set bugs often go unnoticed for a while if few use the character set that fails.
johans
SonLight wrote:

The user manual should explain how to use the program. Sometimes if you try to follow an example in the manual, you can either see where it does not work correctly, or see what is different from what you tried.

In some situations, it may treat a single letter as a command instead of input text. You neglected to say exactly where you were trying to type an e, but I assume you thought you were typing into the body of the email. If you describe what you did in order, maybe someone can figure out where it went wrong, or possibly trying to explain it will help you see what happened. Can you compose an email? (apparently, from the example you gave). Does it accept an e in the to: line and the subject: line?

If I understood you right, you can type any letter, except that an e is ignored (when you type e, does something else happen?). Also, I assume you can send an email. What about when you read an email? Do e's show up then?

What character set is being used on the computer? There might be a bug that affects it only if using a German character set, for example. Character set bugs often go unnoticed for a while if few use the character set that fails.

Very nice. Thank you for that reference.

For me, i am not expert also in linux but if you are re-searchable person you can find answers on google.
loveandormoney
SonLight wrote:

Quote:

n some situations, it may treat a single letter as a command instead of input text

YES

This is the problem.
I think so also.

I made a mistake because the problem is very old.

D or d is the problem.

I try

Door D is ok

(d) oor d is not ok.

How can I describe the problem
so I can find it in the www.

Quote:

You neglected to say exactly where you were trying to type an e,

Sorry

ad like yourad@provider problem

topic Problem

Email Body problem.

Quote:

Can you compose an email?

without D : yes

Write the email with gedit
then copy paste

also fine.

Quote:

Does it accept an e in the to: line and the subject: line?

No.

Quote:

except that an e is ignored (when you type e, does something else happen?).

Sometimes

nothing

sometimes I write d

and the whole line is destroyed.

Please ask me questions.