FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Donnie Darko

erik
This is my favouret Movie.

Donnie isn't like all others, he's a psycho. During a night he hears from a big bunny that the world will end in 28 days.

What more do I have to say? Smile
memsa
A friend introduced me to this movie.
It is incredibly well crafted. It is much better than "Butterfly Effect" which seemed to be a weak mimic.
The song ( I can't remember the name) is eerily hard to forget but it has taken a particular bizarre twist now that children are singing in the background of an ad in Australia....they stop it before the line about "dreams of whe I'm dying are the best..."
erik
The song is called "Mad World" I'm not sure of the artist...
brainster
A girlfriend told me about this movie. I really like it, and it's probably in my top10. It took me 2 times, before i really figured out what was going on, but, it's worth it. Very Happy
quick_basic
I loved that movie. But the first time I saw it I had nightmares. Where you talking about this song?
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tearsforfears/madworld.html
SilverDogg
donnie darko is one of my favourite movies =). its really strange, and very interesting.

i still think about the "the world will end in 28 days" thing. for who will it end? for donnie ofcourse! the questions is however, is his life these 28 just dreams? what is really happening?

and why do we see a lot of sad faces in the end when the song "mad world" is being played?

the song is mad world yes, but the artist isnt tears for fears here, its gary jules, and his version is by far better!
mr.e
I really got into this movie..great storyline.
matt87
Who doesn't like this movie? I think this movie is great. It is defeanetly one of my favorite movies.
parker
The song is Mad World by Gary Jules
It originated years ago, but was re-released last year and did exceptionally well in the UK if I remember correctly.

The Australian ad is for http://news.ninemsn.com.au/
I was shocked to see this mainstream news site using not only a great song, but a pretty cool version of a great song (sounds like a bunch of year 3 school kids singing it).
EtherealDesert
I don't quite agree on the thing with Butterfly being a lesser mimmmmic. But generally yeah, Donnie is one of the few movies that actually excell in slow paced movie mysticism. Really a flick to recomend (not being a masterpiece, but nontheless a very watchable movie).
Sappho
Yes Donnie Darko is excelent film in every aspect, althou they really messed it with the director's cut which tried to be more explanatory and thus left less to imagination and subjective explanations. I liked the original version more.
Dean_The_Great
I find that this is one of those movies that the common folk don't like, but everyone with brain will fully enjoy. It's certainly not the kind of movie that leaves you with the warm fuzzies at the end... but it is quite a brilliant piece of filmmaking.

The entire style and seemginly apathetic way of shooting lends itself to a feeling of unrest in the audience that can be quite moving. In fact, it could be said that this movie is almost relaxed in its tension. Which, unless you have seen the film, would probably make little to no sense.

I saw this movie long after it's DVD release, and hearing how hyped it was, I was expecting to be let down... but it certainly lived up to the standards everyone said it would. Great film.
Sappho
Dean_The_Great wrote:
It's certainly not the kind of movie that leaves you with the warm fuzzies at the end...

Actually i will kind of disagree, it kept me realizing this fact "how everything is pointless and not really worth worrying" at the end, that made me smiling which was just escalated by the end song by Gary Jules "Mad World".

As every brilliant movie it succeeded to force the viewer to start thinking.
hive
Man, I have to see this movie!!!
I' ve heard about it but I never remember to rent.
please.be.quiet
god, i love this movie. it's one of the best i've seen. but, i don't think he's psycho, it explains what happens when you pay attention to the movie.
mceejaydee
I don't get the story though, can anyone help me understand it? Questions below

\\*****SPOILERS*******

So what was the point of Donnie dying?

What was Franks purpose in the story?

Did Grandma Death know she was gonna get Donnies letter?
Traveller
Normally, I would like this kind of movie, but I did not care for this one at all, but it could be since I'm such a fan of the original: Harvey.
shinnoyami
heard a lot about this movie before actually seeing it, it deffinately wasn't a let down. Jake kind of looks like Tobey Maguire at the beginning of the movie, any one else agree?
I want to see the director's cut, i'm curious, although i'm afraid that it might ruin the impression the original movie left on me.
djsamsung
Donnie Darko is well crafted and interesting for a slow-paced movie. Weird? maybe for some ppl but this movie is a worth watch.

about Butterfly Effect being a mimic or something, I totally disagree to that. Butterfly Effect is also well written and presented.

these two movies are well recommended to those who haven't watch it. Wink
immortal
Donnie Darko is a great movies I like it.
earthchild
I liked this movie - especially the whole orb emerging from body effect(the energy worms) Those were cool.

I found it sort of twisted but enjoyable in the end.
Scaramanga
*****SPOILERS*******

mceejaydee wrote:
So what was the point of Donnie dying?

What is the point of ANYONE dying? But for the sake of the story, I'd say that because Donnie DOESN'T die at the beginning (he was supposed to) the timeline he's currently in is doomed (hence why the world will end.)

mceejaydee wrote:

Deus Ex Machina? I'm assuming that since the timeline is all messed up, Frank is there to return the timeline back to the way it's supposed to be (sadly leaving Donnie dead and him alive.)

mceejaydee wrote:
Did Grandma Death know she was gonna get Donnies letter?

Possibly, after all she DID write a book on time travel.

Traveller wrote:
Normally, I would like this kind of movie, but I did not care for this one at all, but it could be since I'm such a fan of the original: Harvey.

Different mysterious bunny movie there. Very Happy
althalus
matt87 wrote:
Who doesn't like this movie? I think this movie is great. It is defeanetly one of my favorite movies.
*raises hand* I didn't.

I can't quite pinpoint why, I usually like these weird movies, but there's something to the 'whole' that I don't agree with.

Maybe I have a phobia against big ugly talking bunnies.... Shocked
Farhad
I just walked into this movie with no idea of it besides the name and came out loving it. From the 80s soundtrack that tugged heart strings of a bygone childhood to the incrediable story, it was great.

I saw Matrix the same way. I try to avoid trailiers but I can't, I love'em too!
brevity
yeah, frank was a little disturbing... but I really liked the movie. I don't know why, but I didn't really want to see it but finally a friend of mine made me sit down and watch it with her. I'm glad she did. Smile
Ray Gravin
Yeah Frank was scary as hell the first time I watched this movie. I liked it though.. still confuses me when i think about it.
shinnoyami
*****SPOILERS*******

Scaramanga wrote:

mceejaydee wrote:

Deus Ex Machina? I'm assuming that since the timeline is all messed up, Frank is there to return the timeline back to the way it's supposed to be (sadly leaving Donnie dead and him alive.)

I think that frank wanted to save donnie, thus warning him of the end of the world and also calling him away from his bedroom when he almost dies the first time. Frank also made Donnie vandalise things, which led to good things happening to Donnie. Maybe frank was his guardian angel?
Bosleee
i agree the film is def in my top 10 the story line the acting the the whole design is brilliant i think i watched it 4 times in a week and didnt get bored with it

we need more films like this
GProject
I saw this film at the cinema before it was a big success & had the cult following it does today. Bit of a blind watch actually, and I'm not sure why we picked it. Still, it certainly sparked our interest (although I was slightly confused by the end) - I've always planned to watch it again. Maybe I'll watch the Director's cut version.