FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Newbie with some questions

loveandormoney
Good morning.
We are theatre group from Frankfurt Germany and we have some questions:

Is this a free forum or board for discussion
free of charge?

Is there any duty to do for example log in every month?

Is it possibel to use free webspace?
I think we should need 10 mb or 20 mb
for jpg gif txt.

The contence is made by ourselves so we are the owner of the copyright.
Is this the right place for ask about www.frihost.com?

regards
Gitesh
loveandormoney wrote:
Good morning.
We are theatre group from Frankfurt Germany and we have some questions:

Is this a free forum or board for discussion
free of charge?

Is there any duty to do for example log in every month?

Is it possibel to use free webspace?
I think we should need 10 mb or 20 mb
for jpg gif txt.

The contence is made by ourselves so we are the owner of the copyright.
Is this the right place for ask about www.frihost.com?

regards

Offcourse this is free forum. you dont need to pay anything to be here.
there is no need to log every month.

If you need hosting you can get it free of cost from here. but for that you will need to post regularly which is not that hard at all.
loveandormoney
Thank You for Your friendly help.

Can I change my email ad because during
register
my favorite email ad was not accepted?

Who ist paying for webspace and forum?
Is this a NGO company?

Is there also a free blog?

Is it possible
to use a subdomain like

http://www.frihost.com/loveandormoney?

regards and Thank You.
Qantas94Heavy
loveandormoney wrote:
Thank You for Your friendly help.

Can I change my email ad because during
register
my favorite email ad was not accepted?

Who ist paying for webspace and forum?
Is this a NGO company?

Is there also a free blog?

Is it possible
to use a subdomain like

http://www.frihost.com/loveandormoney?

regards and Thank You.

You can change the email used for people and Frihost staff to contact you from the forums by clicking the "Edit Profile" button next to your name at the top left of the page, however since it was not working in registration, I doubt that the email you wish to send notifications, private emails, etc. to will work either (you can always try though, no harm in doing that).

Bondings (the administrator of the forum) pays for the webspace, however he recovers his costs by the requirement to visit the forum frequently, as he has placed advertisments on the forums instead of on your website. This means that you do not have to pay any money for this service as long as you post enough useful posts to keep your points above 0 (your account will not be suddenly deleted below 0, you will recieve a warning first). Are you referring to a not-for-profit organisation instead of a NGO? I'm not sure what you mean.

You can request to get a free (English only) blog by clicking the link in the middle top of the page. This may take up to 1-2 weeks to get processed into the system. This will be shown in the Blogs section of Frihost. The subfolder that you will get for your blog will be in the format of http://www.frihost.com/user/[new username assigned when request accepted]/blog, however if you also have Frihost web hosting you can create a subdomain (e.g. myblog.frihost.org) to redirect to your blog.

The example link that you posted is not a subdomain, instead a subdomain is in the following format: subdomain.example.com. You can have as many subdomains as you like (within reason) for free at [your own name here].frihost.org., if your web hosting request is approved.
Bondings
Most of your questions were already answered by others, but I'll try to answer most of them here anyway.

This is a free website in the sense that you don't need to pay money for the services we offer. We don't have any paid features and don't accept donations either.

However for the web hosting, we require forum posting, both before and after getting the hosting account. This includes questions like the posts in this topic.

About the webspace, you get one subdomain from us, currently it is somechosenname.frihost.org (eg http://loveandormoney.frihost.org/) . What you mentioned is called a subdirectory which you can create yourself on your subdomain. If you own a domain or have a free (sub)domain, you can also host those here. Currently we offer 1.5GB of space (the limit it is going to increase a bit soon).

Qantas94Heavy mentioned our blogs. These are simple blogs that are part of this website and they also contribute to the posts/points you need for the hosting account. If you want a blog that has more features and that you control yourself, you can install WordPress (or some other software) on your webhosting account.

Normally you can change your email in the "edit profile" page. I'm not sure why your email wasn't accepted.

About the company question. We are not an NGO and not a non-profit organization either. It is run and financed by me. We also have quite some volunteer staff who handle things like forum moderation.
loveandormoney
Good afternoon!

"This is not run by a government organisation, so this is a NGO company (are you referring to a not-for-profit organisation instead?). "

We are non-profit ngo
here in Germany
started 1979
with two main topics
peace
and
free of drugs

"You can change the email used for people and Frihost staff to contact you from the forums by clicking the "Edit Profile" button next to your name at the top left of the page, however since it was not working in registration, I doubt that the email you wish to send notifications, private emails, etc. to will work either (you can always try though, no harm in doing that). "

Ok
I will do this.
I think I was banned with my usual emailad
because I used a wrong captcha.
So all Emails from www.frihost.com will go to emailad written in the profile?

"Bondings (the administrator of the forum) pays for the webspace, however he recovers his costs by the requirement to visit the forum frequently, as he has placed advertisments on the forums instead of on your website. This means that you do not have to pay any money for this service as long as you post enough useful posts to keep your points above 0 (your account will not be suddenly deleted below 0, you will recieve a warning first). This is not run by a government organisation, so this is a NGO company (are you referring to a not-for-profit organisation instead?). "

Was does that mean:

"Points: 5.45, Frih$: 0.00, Coins: 0.00"

Should I habe many points an coints? How can I earn them?

"You can request to get a free (English only) blog by clicking the link in the middle top of the page. This may take up to 1-2 weeks to get processed into the system. This will be shown in the Blogs section of Frihost. The subfolder that you will get for your blog will be in the format of http://www.frihost.com/user/[new username assigned when request accepted]/blog, however if you also have Frihost web hosting you can create a subdomain (e.g. myblog.frihost.org) to redirect to your blog. "

I want first
upload htm files
and afterwards
post in a blog.

Is it possible to do something like daily blog?

How webspace will be approved?

"However for the web hosting, we require forum posting, both before and after getting the hosting account. This includes questions like the posts in this topic. "

Is it possibel to post daily or weekly?
For example I saw the topic Linux and I am posting there also today.

"About the webspace, you get one subdomain from us, currently it is somechosenname.frihost.org (eg http://loveandormoney.frihost.org/) . What you mentioned is called a subdirectory which you can create yourself on your subdomain. If you own a domain or have a free (sub)domain, you can also host those here. Currently we offer 1.5GB of space (the limit it is going to increase a bit soon). "

Thank You for this offer.
I think, we will need about 10 or 20 mb.

"Qantas94Heavy mentioned our blogs. These are simple blogs that are part of this website and they also contribute to the posts/points you need for the hosting account. If you want a blog that has more features and that you control yourself, you can install WordPress (or some other software) on your webhosting account."

We are looking for space in blog for ascii txts
very easy stile.
Maybe we want to add gif or jpg.

"Normally you can change your email in the "edit profile" page. I'm not sure why your email wasn't accepted. "

I think, I did wrong captcha.
Sorry.

"About the company question. We are not an NGO and not a non-profit organization either. It is run and financed by me. We also have quite some volunteer staff who handle things like forum moderation."

Thank You for Your friendly introduction.

This homepage is older than 5 years
Regards
Bondings
Quote:
Should I habe many points an coints? How can I earn them?

You can find a lot of information about it here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-66575.html . In short, you gain points by posting, the longer the posts the more points you get for it (from 1 to 5). When hosted you lose 1 point per day and you need to keep them positive. Also every day all points above 45 are removed and converted (with a logarithm) to coins. If you have a lot of coins, you can request a free .com/.net domain (one year registration or renewal) with them (and some other things too).

Quote:
Is it possibel to post daily or weekly?
For example I saw the topic Linux and I am posting there also today.

Daily is definitely not needed. If your posts are not short (not 1-2 sentences), then about 6-10 posts are needed per month to keep your points positive. Of course we appreciate it to have more active members than that, however there are some people here who come every 4-6 weeks and post a lot at once and then disappear again for the same period. As long as the posts are fine (not garbage or a copy-pasted article), this is ok.

Quote:
How webspace will be approved?

You need 5 posts (and minimum 10 points) to request a hosting account, so just 1 more post needed. The link will be on your Account page (link on top of the page called ACCOUNT).

Quote:
Is it possible to do something like daily blog?

On the blog here on Frihost, you can post text, the same as here in the forums. However the images you should either upload to your hosting account or an image host like imgur.com. You can also install WordPress and use that: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress .
loveandormoney
Good evening
Thank You for Your friedly help.

Is the best way
to post every day for be sure
the webspace is ok.

Do I need one point for every htm fileor for the whole homepage?

Thank You for the URL.

How is the upload working for the homepage.
Is there a special surface or the usual ftp programme like gftp included in Linux?

If there is no webspace using
then there are no negative points?

So best way is to collect 30 points
before start a homepage? Isnt it?

I saw the thread
personal art.
Maybe I can use that as blog.
Is in this forum allowed to have two posts or more in sequence?
Are there any more duties then two have enough points for webspace produced by posting?

Is it possible to upload jpg or gif here in the forum?

Thank You again.
sonam
Quote:
Do I need one point for every htm fileor for the whole homepage?

No, of course, the points are in correlation with all hosting, mysql data bases and lot of other things not for each page. If you are looking in left side of your posts you will see how after your posting growing up number of points. As long you are in positive you hosting is safe. If you have 20 points and you don't come here for 7 days you will loose 7 points but you are still in positive and you don't need to worry about your hosting.

Quote:
How is the upload working for the homepage.

You can upload your site via any FTP completely or page by page, or via Direct Admin.

Quote:
So best way is to collect 30 points

Why? Ones you have 5 quality post (what is more then 10 points) you can request a hosting account.
Quote:
Is in this forum allowed to have two posts or more in sequence?

If I good understand you are asking can you post more then once per day. Of course, as long you are not spam this forum you can post.

Quote:
Is it possible to upload jpg or gif here in the forum?

Jes, but images must be hosted somewhere (on your hosting account or somewhere on Internet) and then you can post by url and Img tag.

Read more here about other question:
http://www.frihost.com/faq.php

Sonam
Archelaus021685
Hi,
I'm a newbie here, trying to find the solutions to my problem,

I have a friend provided me everything about the username, password and the IP address to connect to FTP to my computer Desktop which is running completely, but when I'm trying to Connect to the FTP same info everything using my Laptop Dell Inspiron 6000, OS- windows XP Sp3 32-bit. the FTP says Cannot connect to the server. I don't know what goes wrong. Perhaps if you can just help me. thank you so much. I don't know where to go.
rx9876
Archelaus021685 wrote:
Hi,
I'm a newbie here, trying to find the solutions to my problem,

I have a friend provided me everything about the username, password and the IP address to connect to FTP to my computer Desktop which is running completely, but when I'm trying to Connect to the FTP same info everything using my Laptop Dell Inspiron 6000, OS- windows XP Sp3 32-bit. the FTP says Cannot connect to the server. I don't know what goes wrong. Perhaps if you can just help me. thank you so much. I don't know where to go.

I suggest you to open a new thread about your own question.
If you confirmed every thing is correct, but still rejected by the ftp server.
It might be IP address filter.
Most people are using dynamic ip address, so I don't think your friend will set ip address constraint.
The best solution is to contact your friend.
loveandormoney
Good moring.
Thank You for Your answers.

"Sorry, but this e-mail address has been banned."
What can I do with with problem. I wanted to change my emailad to my favorite emailad.
But maybe I used wrong captcha and so my emailad was banned.
Is there a way to repair it.

This is a interesting forum, I did find many good posts.

"How is the upload working for the homepage.
You can upload your site via any FTP completely or page by page, or via Direct Admin. "

What does mean Direct Admin?

"So best way is to collect 30 points
Why? Ones you have 5 quality post (what is more then 10 points) you can request a hosting account. "
Because I feel then more safe.
Is this right, with 30 points, I can switch off my pc for four weeks?
I do not plan to do this
but I feel better, when I dont have to look every day for my space.

"Is in this forum allowed to have two posts or more in sequence?
If I good understand you are asking can you post more then once per day. Of course, as long you are not spam this forum you can post. "

No
sorry
the question is or was
is there is a thread
and I do a post today
and there is no answer
is it allowed to make tomorrow a second post.
In some boards this is prohibited.
That is the reason I am asking.

"Is it possible to upload jpg or gif here in the forum?

Jes, but images must be hosted somewhere (on your hosting account or somewhere on Internet) and then you can post by url and Img tag. "

Is it better
when I am using webspace here
that I am doing upload by ftp to my space and then
put the link in the post?

"I have a friend provided me everything about the username,"
Maybe it helps, to check the firewall.

Regards and Thank You
Bondings
loveandormoney wrote:
"Sorry, but this e-mail address has been banned."
What can I do with with problem. I wanted to change my emailad to my favorite emailad.
But maybe I used wrong captcha and so my emailad was banned.
Is there a way to repair it.

We don't allow some email extensions as they were used by spammers a lot. Maybe that's what is blocking your email address.

loveandormoney wrote:
What does mean Direct Admin?

The control panel of our web hosting accounts. You can find information about it here: http://site-helper.com/ .

loveandormoney wrote:
"So best way is to collect 30 points
Why? Ones you have 5 quality post (what is more then 10 points) you can request a hosting account. "
Because I feel then more safe.
Is this right, with 30 points, I can switch off my pc for four weeks?
I do not plan to do this
but I feel better, when I dont have to look every day for my space.

You already have over 40 points, close to the maximum of 45 (it is reset to 45 every day if you are above it, you do gain coins if above 45).

loveandormoney wrote:

is there is a thread
and I do a post today
and there is no answer

We don't like it, but it depends on the case in question. If it is some kind of update to the situation, then it is usually allowed. Like when you ask a question and then find the answer yourself and want to share it.

loveandormoney wrote:
"Is it possible to upload jpg or gif here in the forum?

Use this website: http://imgur.com/ and then use the image url or code there to show the image in your post here. It's usually the easiest solution.

loveandormoney wrote:
"I have a friend provided me everything about the username,"
Maybe it helps, to check the firewall.

Sorry, I didn't understand that.
loveandormoney
Good afternoon!

Thank You for help.

Quote:
We don't allow some email extensions as they were used by spammers a lot. Maybe that's what is blocking your email address. "

I am using now www.mysc.de. This is ok, isnt it?
The other email was based on www.web.de . This is not ok?

Quote:

loveandormoney wrote:

is there is a thread
and I do a post today
and there is no answer

We don't like it, but it depends on the case in question. If it is some kind of update to the situation, then it is usually allowed. Like when you ask a question and then find the answer yourself and want to share it.

I am planning to do this only in the thread "personal Art Gallery"
is this ok?
Because user will look but dont post so I can do arts more often.
Or is this a problem?

Thank You for help.
I think I am doing here posts one week more
and then I try to upload some htm files.

Regards
Bondings
The @web.de email addresses were banned. I have unbanned them now.

Normally it should be fine to create a double post in case you have new art or something similar.
loveandormoney
Thank You for help.
Now I can use my favorite emailad.

It was my mistake, because I used the wrong captcha.
Is there a list of all homepages of all members
just for look?

regards
Bondings
We don't have a complete list as a lot of members don't want their website to be known or easily connected to their account, like for privacy reasons.

We do have the directory, http://www.frihost.com/directory/ where our members can submit their websites. However it is rarely used nowadays and most websites there are either not working anymore or hosted somewhere else. I'm thinking of retiring/removing the whole directory anyway. But you can take a look, maybe some websites are still working fine.
loveandormoney
Thank You for Your URL
Another question:

I could find:

Latest forum posts in topics:

When I am clicking on my ID.
Where can I see wether somebody is answering my posts.

Example:
I am doing a post now in the thread JOKES
Where shall I see tomorrow, whether somebody gives an answer today?

regards

I think, next week I am startig upload with FTP.

We are still drawing pictures.
Bondings
loveandormoney wrote:
Where shall I see tomorrow, whether somebody gives an answer today?

You can subscribe to topics with the "Watch this topic for replies" link.

There is also the "View your posts" on the forums index, on the top right, that will show your latest posts. That way you can check yourself if they have new replies.
loveandormoney
Thank You for Your help.
I could find everything.
Now I try to ask for webspace.
Regards
loveandormoney
I tried to upload htm files to my account.
So I have some questions?

Do I have to change to the directory

public_html

and then I can do upload?

Can then there I create diretories like /pics/ for example?

What is the meaning of "private space"?

Should private files be uploaded in the root directory?

What kind of files are allowed to place there?

regards

loveandormoney
Bondings
loveandormoney wrote:
So I have some questions?

Do I have to change to the directory

public_html

and then I can do upload?

What is the meaning of "private space"?

Should private files be uploaded in the root directory?

What kind of files are allowed to place there?

regards

loveandormoney

Yes, you need to create your /pics/ directory in the public_html, just like you have already done.

By the way, I have renamed the default index.html (what you saw when going to your subdomain) file so that your uploaded index.htm file shows when you visit your subdomain.

About the 'private' space, this is mostly used for things like backups (DirectAdmin creates a backup there if you request it in the control panel) and email. You can also put some things there that you don't want visitors to see or access directly. Most people don't need to put any files there.

About the location of the private space, it is anywhere except any directory inside the public_html directory.
rx9876
loveandormoney wrote:

F.Y.I.
The file manager interface in Direct Admin has a function to extract compressed file.
You can compress your whole files / folders to a single file, and extract it on the server.
That will decrease the upload bandwidth and upload time.
loveandormoney
Quote:

By the way, I have renamed the default index.html (what you saw when going to your subdomain) file so that your uploaded index.htm file shows when you visit your subdomain.

Good morning.
How about
index.htm and index.html.

I saw, there was a index.html.
Can I delete it and replace bei the index.htm?
Becaused we are used to use index.htm
I do later
when I understand this
index.htm twice
als html and htm file.

Regards
and thank You for help.
Bondings
loveandormoney wrote:

Good morning.
How about
index.htm and index.html.

I saw, there was a index.html.
Can I delete it and replace bei the index.htm?
Becaused we are used to use index.htm
I do later
when I understand this
index.htm twice
als html and htm file.

Regards
and thank You for help.

You only need 1 index file and yes you can remove the other ones.

The problem was that you had more than one index file and in that case only one of them can show. And the priority is index.html, then index.htm and then index.php (or something similar).
loveandormoney
Good moring.
Is there a problem
I do upload the same htm-file as
index.htm
and
index.html?

Or is it ok, next time I do upload
I am cleaning all index files and I do upload
index.htm.

We use extension here on HD
txt htm jpg etc only three letters
for members of the groups using DOS.

regards
and thank You.

Is there a description
what the others directors does mean
because I saw a lot more directories.
Bondings
loveandormoney wrote:
Good moring.
Is there a problem
I do upload the same htm-file as
index.htm
and
index.html?

Or is it ok, next time I do upload
I am cleaning all index files and I do upload
index.htm.

We use extension here on HD
txt htm jpg etc only three letters
for members of the groups using DOS.

regards
and thank You.

Is there a description
what the others directors does mean
because I saw a lot more directories.

It's ok if you use the .htm index file. I would advise to use only one index file (in your case the .htm one) as only one is shown when you access your subdomain.

Unfortunately we don't have descriptions for the directories available. Usually the name explains it a bit, though.
loveandormoney
400.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

401.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

403.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

404.shtml

500.shtml

Good morning. Thank You for help.
What is the meaning of these files.
I found them in the dir public.

Regards
RosenCruz
loveandormoney wrote:
400.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

401.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

403.shtml 0.50k 755 Edit

404.shtml

500.shtml

Good morning. Thank You for help.
What is the meaning of these files.
I found them in the dir public.

Regards

They are default web pages for your web server, shown in case of an error.

For example, when a document is not found, 404 Error page will be displayed. You can edit such error pages, e.g redirect users to homepage.

Each number is a specific error code for HTML web servers.

Regards,
loveandormoney
Good morning?

Thank You for help.

I followed the link "about us".

But there I could not find the location.
Where is Frihost or where is the Frishost-Team located?

Regards
Bondings
I'm from Belgium, staff is from everywhere and the servers are located both in the USA and also in Germany at the moment.
loveandormoney
So the webmaster is living in the USA
New York?
and the staff is living in Europe and America?

Is this right?
Qantas94Heavy
loveandormoney wrote:
So the webmaster is living in the USA
New York?
and the staff is living in Europe and America?

Is this right?

The person who created Frihost lives in Belgium.
The staff "working" at Frihost come from many different places, too many to list specifically.
Some of the servers (hardware) are in the USA, and the rest in Germany.
loveandormoney
Thank You for the information.

Where is the best place for publish a diary?
Is it better to use the webspace or is it better to open a blog?
Is the blog a part of the forum or a part of the webspace?

Regards
loveandormoney
Another question:
Until Octobre every day there were Frihostemails: You have an answer.
Since Novembre there are no Emails.
What did I do wrong?

Regards
RosenCruz
loveandormoney wrote:
Another question:
What did I do wrong?

Regards

Mails are now going directly into spam on many mail providers. Check your spam/bulk folder
zaxacongrejo
ops sorry dont know why but it seams i posted and the post reorder or something deleted
loveandormoney
RosenCruz wrote:
loveandormoney wrote:
Another question:
What did I do wrong?

Regards

Mails are now going directly into spam on many mail providers. Check your spam/bulk folder

Good morning.
I did check it.
Also I put "Frihost.org" and "Frihost.com" to the friendlist.

Regards

EDIT
Thank You for help.
Since Saturay there are now those emails coming after a new post.
loveandormoney
Good morning
I just ask again to make no mistake:

This does mean:

45 days I can use space without writing here, is nt it.

Frih$ zero does mean: No trading.

410 does mean: I could use a domain?

Regards

Nice community here with interesting peopel from Asia Europe and America.
Bondings
Yes, that is more or less correct.
ibraltan1
Dear Bondings;

I've sent some PM to you about hosting support demands related the subjects of php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off and CNAME following the direction of mathiaus.
I believe you have been too busy to see them.

Relying on your words of "If I don't respond to an important support question, please continue to bug me about it until I answer!", I'm repeating my demands.

Best regards.
loveandormoney
Good morning
Thank You for help.

What does the directories mean:

cgi-bin

htpasswd

awstats

logs

public-ftp

public-html

stats

Regards
loveandormoney
Good morning

How long can I keep the space
example I go out for holidays without www
is this 45 days?

How about a domain?
How can I ask for a domain and how long can I keep it?

Thank You.
deanhills
45 days are correct. Much longer if your Website is OK, as there is no admin checking up on your points right now. However, if you have an interactive Website like WordPress, and you don't look after it during your 45 or longer days, and it gets suspended because of bad spam, it will equally be difficulty for you to get it unsuspended for the same reason. You may return and find your Website suspended and unable to contact an Admin to unsuspend it for you.

From a practical point of view I'd suggest that you check up on the Forum for major announcements that may effect your Website at least once a week, and you may then just as well make the odd post or two. And to check up on your interactive Websites all of the time. Or disable them before you go on long leave.

Not sure what you mean by domain. Hosted members at Frihost can get a free domain with an extension like name.frihost.net or name.frih.net or name.frih.org depending on which server we are. You can keep the domain as long as you are in good standing with Frihost and Frihost is still around. If you refer to the free domain that has been advertised, that hasn't been happening in a while. Bondings advertised it at the time when he had a number of GoDaddy domain coupons available and that is no longer available. He was thinking of becoming a reseller, but hasn't got that far yet. If you want a non-frihost free domain you could always check out dot.tk for a free domain. You can register it for any period from 3 months to a year, and depending whether it is available renew it once a year. I've been using dot.tk for a while now and haven't had any problems with it. Other alternative is to buy your own .com/.net/.org domain directly from a domain registrar. They are not that terribly expensive.
loveandormoney
Thnk You for Your friendly help. I could find a lot of useful information. Thank You.
loveandormoney
Is it allowed to discuss the topic

boy girl and what they do in a way children can read it.

Regards
Ankhanu
It's generally preferred that you do not.