FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dog Walking

Afaceinthematrix
I've been walking my new dog every night for the past several months and I have noticed that she turns on the streets that we are going to turn on before I even start to turn. She also sniffs the same stuff every night. She knows that route more than I would have expected. Does anyone know if dogs get bored by going on the same walking route every night or are dogs just happy that they are getting to go for a walk? I've been wondering about this because I might change up her route a little weekly if I think that she is going to get bored. She also has learned the time that I take her for a walk and she gets excited as she sees me doing the dishes (because she knows that right after the dinner dishes we leave).
medesignz
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I've been walking my new dog every night for the past several months and I have noticed that she turns on the streets that we are going to turn on before I even start to turn. She also sniffs the same stuff every night. She knows that route more than I would have expected. Does anyone know if dogs get bored by going on the same walking route every night or are dogs just happy that they are getting to go for a walk? I've been wondering about this because I might change up her route a little weekly if I think that she is going to get bored. She also has learned the time that I take her for a walk and she gets excited as she sees me doing the dishes (because she knows that right after the dinner dishes we leave).

Could be a case of Pavlov and his pooch.

I don't think dog's get bored of routine, but mixing it up will keep her on her paws.
LxGoodies
On the contrary. Don't hesitate to give your dog a clear domain Smile A dog is not pissing because it needs to piss.. a dog leaves traces for competitors. These traces should be refreshed regularly.

Dogs are always at work. Whatever they do, they do it for us (because we are boss) and when we don't demand anything, they work to protect their (better: your AND his) domain. De dog will appreciate when you expand the domain: take more time, cover a larger area together. You are part of the same flock, or herd as your dog. The dog will accept you as a leader, so you decide..

Lx
medesignz
Its very rare that a dog, or any other animal for that matter, to do anything for any reason other than instinct.
LxGoodies
medesignz wrote:
Its very rare that a dog, or any other animal for that matter, to do anything for any reason other than instinct.

That may be so, but what do you call "instinct" ? If you throw a stick in the water and the dog jumps into the water and gets the stick for you, it actually performs a task we learned it 5000 years ago. A dog can be happy, unhappy.. it can have psychological problems, just like humans. Just calling that "instinct" will not free you from any responsibility for the dog's well-being !

Domestic animals, especially dogs, are herd-animals that live with us ! They are lower in rank than "the boss" and they actually want to work for us, be obedient. That gives a dog certainty and stability. Maybe there are lots of free dogs that behave fine (can handle freedom), but I feel most dogs are not lucky, if you don't train it properly. Be clear about what's allowed and what's not allowed. Most modern people don't demand work, or even training, because dogs are regarded as dear pets. But there are a lot of dog races, that will have problems if you let them completely free. Maybe that can make a cat happy.. or a guinea pig.. but a dog needs clear hierarchy and a certain role in a family.

For thousands of years, dogs have learned to work for us. Have a role. They are breeded (by us) for that purpose and they don't just stop that behavior, because modern western people want to call them "animals" and their behavior "out of instinct".

Smile Lx (former dog trainer)
medesignz
Isnt a dog a pack animal?
brucelewis
ya... i love walk with ma dogs
benny7770
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Dogs love routine and generally dont get bored, Dogs are mainly their for your benefit and make a great companion, they are totally based around you! It is good you show the dog love bak, it really just wants to be loved.
medesignz
Whether or not you walk the same places, or mix it up... Your dog will always love you Smile
LxGoodies
Yep.. Smile And even if you put a dog on a line and the dog pulls that line very hard.. your dog will not hate you for it. Always better to walk your dog, even if you have to put it on a line, or walk the same block every time.

By the way I dont think that a dog is completely indifferent, it just does not blame you. For example, your dog will love very long walks, or a holiday in the mountains. You decide. I always find it kind of sad to see people live in 10-story buildings owning a dog. Poor dog..

Lx
Possum
I find it is easier to train a dog on the regular route I take. She get too excited on new walks. So it may depend on what you want to do. But Dogs love all walks. I have a springer spaniel and live near a golf course. After the golfers go home shes has the whole place.. And she goes wild and runs everywhere. Its her time. But if I walk her by the river she is on the led. She absolutely prefers the Golf course to the river. But enjoys both
protestantreformation
ask for help
medesignz
Davolutiion wrote:
dont have a dog Crying or Very sad
IF you were to have a dog what would you have? Do you live in a house that would support a dog?