FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Those who report a post/user should be rewarded..

likeabreeze
People first came here for a web-hosting, but they have to post to get points and coins,which inevitably cause some problems, one of which is that people(especially new members) tend to post some Copy-pasting posts, text or articles from other websites or users without quotes.
Of course, It is strictly prohibited because doing so infringes the regulation and low-quality posts are not good for frihost development.
The best way to prohibit this phenomenon, in my eye, is to encourage people to report a invalid post/user, and people should be rewarded with a benefit(like, coin?) once their report is accepted.
To avoid abuse, those who frequently make false report should be punished..
Vanilla
I understand your idea (it's not a bad one, really), but I'm thinking how it would flood the notifications we receive.
Josso
Yeah sort of gives people a reason to falsely report stuff. It has the potential to mess up things mind you if I had a penny... Laughing
ocalhoun
Well, we do get plenty of reports even without that...

But if such a system was implemented, the reward should only be given after the report is handled.
(Which would require two report handling buttons for moderators, one to ignore and reject, the other to set as fixed and handled.)
That way, false reports wouldn't get rewarded.
Josso
True that, surprised you are pro this though.

I try my best to report as much as possible. Maybe we should go completely the other way and make reporting anonymous. I sometimes wonder with the amount of report requests I put in how many people are seeing my report comments and I sometimes I wonder if it's near pestering if I am doing like 10 in a couple of hours or something. As I mentioned to ghostrider if you ever need more mods drop me a message I have a ridiculous amount of free time.
Ankhanu
I think the only net effect would be more repeated reports to the mods. Shyte posts are already being reported by users... and I really don't think that this system would reduce the number of shyte posts being made. Those who would read and understand that low quality posts, etc. would be reported, they likely aren't the ones who would be making those posts in the first place.
bukaida
Nice idea but will be a lot of pain for mods Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
Or you can report a post because you want to see the forum succeed and avoid being flooded with the stupid spam messages that we get daily and that many people, like myself, report even without a reward. If Frihost gets too much spam then Frihost will fail. Given that you receive a free service from Frihost then it is in your best interest for Frihost to not fail and so reporting spam promptly only encourages Frihost to succeed which implies that you continue to receive a free service. Ergo you are rewarded for your reporting of spam.
deanhills
I can't help but think that if everyone reported the same stuff that that could take on the form of spam in its own right. I.e. flood of reports.

But yes, don't understand why reports should be rewarded. The reward should be having Frihost around, which is a wonderful place in its own right.
ocalhoun
Josso wrote:

I try my best to report as much as possible. Maybe we should go completely the other way and make reporting anonymous.

Naw... if somebody's abusing the report system, we need to be able to figure out who it is.

...And sometimes people will. Spammers sometimes report perfectly good posts so they can put spam in the report description.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Spammers sometimes report perfectly good posts so they can put spam in the report description.
Was unaware of that. Gotta be sophisticated spammers who do that.

PS: Interesting new avatar. What is it? Smile
darthrevan
Josso wrote:
Yeah sort of gives people a reason to falsely report stuff. It has the potential to mess up things mind you if I had a penny... Laughing

Well, i am not sure I am fond of this idea, but I kinda am. If was implemented, the falsely reported issue could be punished by removal of coins or so. That would, in theory, make sure the user report a valid issue.
Josso
darthrevan wrote:
Josso wrote:

Well, i am not sure I am fond of this idea, but I kinda am. If was implemented, the falsely reported issue could be punished by removal of coins or so. That would, in theory, make sure the user report a valid issue.

Yeah I think so. I suppose there's quite a few pros and cons so it's best just leaving it how it is I suppose. I thoroughly recommend the increased circulation of coins in terms of making it more awesome for the users but it's a tricky balance. However I think ocalhoun mentioned recently the potential of adding game high scores as a way of coin building.
darthrevan
Josso wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Josso wrote:

Yeah I think so. I suppose there's quite a few pros and cons so it's best just leaving it how it is I suppose. I thoroughly recommend the increased circulation of coins in terms of making it more awesome for the users but it's a tricky balance. However I think ocalhoun mentioned recently the potential of adding game high scores as a way of coin building.

More people would report issues I think for a reward, but to balance the false reports would require a punishment. This could tested maybe. Might just work out after all.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Spammers sometimes report perfectly good posts so they can put spam in the report description.

It's an interesting, maybe novel technique... but I wouldn't say it's sophisticated. It's rather ineffective and clumsy, really; rather than sending your message out to a wide audience, you're sending it to a handful of individuals predisposed to ignoring the content... pretty pointless, really.
sonam
The idea is not bad but it is not very important for me. I don't like spam and I will report any with or without rewards. Wink

Sonam
darthrevan
Well it's kinda expected that people should report issues, but for the most part they don't. Some people don't want to tattle. Sorry, on my phone and makes it harder to type. Of course any idea well have its pro and cons.

Sometimes it is best to do a trial run sometimes.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Not so much... They usually put bbcode and links into it, but the report system only allows plain text through.
That, and why would they spam a very small group (the moderators) when they could spam a much larger group (all the members here plus all the guest views the site gets)?
Both will be quickly deleted, of course, but one will reach a much larger audience first.
Quote:

PS: Interesting new avatar. What is it? Smile

Um... the same one I've been using for years.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Um... the same one I've been using for years.
That's weird. When I made the comment the avatar consisted of a brown striped background, and the Microsoft people symbol (3 heads in it). Spooky! Then again it was late and it could have been the Bailey's in my coffee that was responsible for what I was seeing.