FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how can we improve my communication skill?

kmr_mukund
i am B.tech fourth year student.i got many oppertunity to prove my self talented.i have good technical skill but i am very bad speaker.my communication skill is too bad.i cannot convey my idea as a better way. please give me some advice to improve it.
bukaida
Search for any BBC spoken English course. Alternatively, if you have the Tatasky, you can subscribe to a course offered by them known as "Active English" which is a nice one.
Marcuzzo
the only true way to learn any language is to speak it a lot and preferably in a country that speaks it.
if your limitation is psychological I'd say drink a few beers ( and if for some reason you don't drink, grow a pair Razz ) and talk to strangers. it helped me a lot in the past Wink
inuyasha
Same here... I'm also a bad speaker. I can not speak fluently even in my mother tongue. I tried to talk with my teachers after class, attend some speech contests and oral English tests. I think I'm more or less improved~ Wink

In fact, I don't really think it's a problem~ That's just your character. Those who don't like to talk or give a speech in front of many people usually focus on their work more easily, may be a good listener or is talented at operating machines~
busaboss
My simple advice would be to read tons of resources online and offline (search your local library, there are tons of info there), write articles (as practice), read again, write again and there! Oh, try to work your way to your speech too. You can play around with it and eventually it will pay off.. Very Happy
loveandormoney
How about using a chat every day one hour. Another idea: Phone Your friends every day for one hour. Maybe the first days will be very silent, but You will improve every day.
standready
Marcuzzo wrote:
the only true way to learn any language is to speak it a lot and preferably in a country that speaks it.

One way to do that is to find someone in that country that you could Skype with.
c'tair
Read a lot of books. This will help you with making spelling and grammar mistakes.

Then talk a lot in that language. If you have to, use skype. Try and find a circle of people who meets up and speaks a language to practice it. If there are none, start one yourself.

Communication is a big issues, no matter what your field of expertise is. I'm a compsci student myself and I fall into this complete blind rage when someone is trying to explain his idea to me and I simply can't grasp it because the way they say it just doesn't make any sense (grammar wise, logic wise, etc).
I can't answer your question if I can't understand you!
Radar
Yeah. I think practice is the most basic answer to this question. That doesn't sound helpful, but that's what many things come down to.
microkosm
Quote:
i have good technical skill but i am very bad speaker.my communication skill is too bad.i cannot convey my idea as a better way. please give me some advice to improve it.

Are you looking to improve communication skills in your native language or in English? Either way, doesn't matter, as others have said you will need to start interacting with your audience. Honestly, if you are wanting to improve in public speaking then talking to strangers one on one is not going to help you. You need to start speaking regularly in front of groups of people. Additionally, I would approach audience members after you give a speech and politely ask them what they liked and disliked about your presentation.

I think the best and immediate thing you can do other than more talking in front of groups is to take a public speaking course. This will teach you the fundamentals of speaking and force you to speak in front of your classmates. All you really need to understand comes from Greek rhetoric: ethos, pathos, and logos, but as they say the devil's in the details. Here in the United States there are also clubs one can join such as Toastmasters, where individuals looking to improve public speaking practice together. You should investigate and see if similar organizations exist where you live.
johnsmith123
The best way to improve your communication skills you have to communicate with more and more people in your daily life. You have to read newspaper daily, listen news and do try to make any topic to speak in public easily and with confidently. Do not think twice before talking just go and start communicating with your friends or any one. Now in these days if you do not have good communication skill you have to face problems in your future defiantly so for you future you need to work on it today or tomorrow.

Hope you like it: D
Shuayb
the simple way to improve your enghlish it's télévision or internet , www.livemocha.com it's good website to meet people around the world ,and use too http://translate.google.com/ to listen to the speaker ,and read more books , it's my way who i have improve step by step my enghlish language
zaxacongrejo
Just keep posting and arguing you will feel the need to answer, and with time
Your English will improve by it self
kmr_mukund
i got your(all) suggestion and follow it.now i am feeling very good in english.so thanks to all to giving me suggestion.
Shuayb
you'r welcome
twotrophy
My suggestion is to talk to many people in real life often. Your communication skill will naturally improve that way. Talking on forums would also improve your writing skills but doing it too often would cause real-life communication skills to worsen. It takes a long time to improve communicational skills but it will be worth it. Good luck.
TheGremlyn
I would also suggest reading some good books. You can usually rely on a good author to use proper English so you can see how the words flow. You could go a step further and read out loud so you can hear how the sentences are structured. Play out character dialogue to see how people interact and use language.

Talking to people also helps. The more you talk and listen to how people speak the faster you will pick things up. I've seen it happen with a few people who started out fumbling with words and after a year or two their conversations flowed more naturally. I mean, listening to how people speak is probably the best way to learn and I think that's how we all learn to speak out respective languages.
mshafiq
just read some good books on daily basis and discussed with other confidently.Discussion will improve your knowledge.Donot feel shy that you can not speak well. Always speek confidently.
mshafiq
Be confident, do not shy,keep practices of speaking English daily.Try to use vocabulary in your daily conversation.With in months you will feel difference.
geekbackpacker
i am also can not speak human language well but i try to talk to grass people.Sometimes, it make me upset on explanation. It spend too much time to explain.

anyone understand my sentence above?
codegeek
Me too. I can express myself fairly reasonably through the written word, but have a lot of trouble when confronting people face to face. I seem to lose all my energy and talk like a retarded baboon. I've tried having voice chats with random people on the internet, but even so, my skills are quite sub par. I suppose it's something that some people are born with, while others need to work hard for. In that sense, it's like every other skill I suppose. Very Happy
playfungames
Try these:
- Listen to other people speaking and learn from them.
- Practice speaking at home. It might sound retarded but it works.
- Build confidence, don't be shy. This takes work.
- Take classes, courses and attend conferences on being a good speaker
- Start with a YouTube video tutorial.
Pippo90
Talk with others, but most of all learn to listen a lot. I found it very helpful the famous Dale Carnegie's book, How to win friends and influence people. You may want to give it a try Wink
steeve
Practice , Practice and Practice.............

You have to read English news paper.
Don't be shy and talk with others.
Watch English news channel daily.
You can attend coaching classes also.
tonberry
Just like guys above have written, practice is the best way to learn better communication skills. It works like an avalanche - one day you're shy, next day you're forced to communicate a lot with people and two days from now everyone wishes you just shut the ^@#$ up... in a good way;) I'm sure it's not like that for everybody, but it's like that for many people I know. The new skillset just finds its way into you when it's needed.

However, if you're in a position where you don't have too many opportunities (no friends, or no time to meet them), practicing alone is a perfectly viable option. I know this personally, since when I have to learn something or need to figure out something, I walk around in my room from one side to another, rinse and repeat and go through stuff speaking about it. Speaking makes the process more conscious and results remain in the brain for longer. When these intimate psychiatric-hospital-material sessions are prolonged, later I ALWAYS notice that my thinking is much more organized (because my brain got a good workout) and that I tell better stories and generally keep people who listen to it engage more - because I have been talking a lot.

If you're to do this specifically to become a better talker, it would be a good advice to do this in front of mirror, work on the face expression, gestures, listen to your voice and try to bring the right tone to the right moment and vary tones a lot etc. Doing this for prolonged amount of time can probably give birth to narcissism or extreme introvertness in some people (thinking how you look while you do something instead of being more natural about it).
BigGeek
I speak only English, a very very small amount of Spanish.

I have worked with people from India, China, Philippines, Brazil, Mexico, Vietnam, and many other countries. The accent typically takes a bit of getting used to and I have no problem speaking with foreigners with heavy accents sure the pronunciation of the words can be tricky to decipher what they are trying to say, but my biggest problem is the speed with which they talk.

Sure reading will help you understand the vocabulary, and dictionaries will help you with pronunciation provided you use the phonetic spellings for pronunciation. But this will not help you speak the language clearly.

I had a friend of mine from India take an advanced English class, the first thing they did was put him on a timer and counted how many words he spoke per minute - he spoke something like 140 words a minute, they told him to slow down to the 80 to 90 word a minute (which is too fast if you ask me) - I looked at him and said "English is my native language and if you spoke it at 140 words a minute to me I would struggle to understand you". I speak in the 60 to 70 word a minute speech rate and it is my native language and most people claim I am clear and easy to understand!!!

Slow your rate of speech down, take your time pronouncing the words and speak them slowly and clearly - this will go a long toward being able to speak English with dumb mono language westerners like me!!!
Insanity
I think what helped me most in learning or making my English much better is simply talking with a friend and asking him to correct even the most minute error in your speech. Sometimes it can be annoying, but the small things add up, and you might not even notice these small things. It's very helpful to have someone always correcting you so you notice and change the way you speak. This is important because sometimes the rules in English don't make the most sense logically speaking.
smeconsult
kmr_mukund wrote:
i am B.tech fourth year student.i got many oppertunity to prove my self talented.i have good technical skill but i am very bad speaker.my communication skill is too bad.i cannot convey my idea as a better way. please give me some advice to improve it.

Try some free courses on language and communication at Alison.com
mshafiq
Try to read newspaper daily and books also. In this way you have good vocabulary that is very helpful in communication.
Insanity
Best way to improve it is to practice it daily. The more you use it, the better it will become. It will take time and a lot of effort, but it's worth it to become so much better. Also, if you immerse yourself in the culture it becomes a lot easier and you learn much faster. you can only learn so much by yourself. Just use it as much as you can.
lkorba
I.m with microkosm - find your local Toastmasters club. Awesome experience!
Possum
I recommend Steven Conveys Seven Principles of Effective people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People

5 - Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

6 - Synergize
Combine the strengths of people through positive teamwork, so as to achieve goals that no one could have done alone.
arfaiz
This is what I want too. It's hard to make others understand and sympathize to our goal in mind.
loveandormoney
kmr_mukund wrote:

Visit a Yudoworkshop.
Every student could talk fluently also with women after those workshops. And its fun. Do You like fun?
deanhills
arfaiz wrote:
This is what I want too. It's hard to make others understand and sympathize to our goal in mind.
Focus on their goals and try and sympathize with their direction honestly and sincerely, and you'll soon get them to be interested in yours as well. It's when you take yourself out of your own way that things come your way with very little effort.
Da Rossa
Practice daily, read, read, try, use a mirror, read, write, read, write, write, read, write, write, write.

Got the pattern? That's because most people read a lot and write almost nothing. So they don't develop the expression tecniques. We're all bombarded today with tons of information, and we can't process them all. How often do you write besides e-mail, WhatsApp messages or short posts on Facebook or this forum?
loveandormoney
deanhills wrote:
arfaiz wrote:
Focus on their goals and try and sympathize with their direction honestly and sincerely, and you'll soon get them to be interested in yours as well. It's when you take yourself out of your own way that things come your way with very little effort.

Yes

use Your spine.