FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Battery on laptop dies without charger





Bright_Sparx
I have a laptop and its not very old, however recently if the charger is disconnected the battery lasts about 30 seconds before dying. Does anyone know if it is an easy enough job to replace the battery and is it worth doing or is it an expensive job?
Bondings
Bright_Sparx wrote:
I have a laptop and its not very old, however recently if the charger is disconnected the battery lasts about 30 seconds before dying. Does anyone know if it is an easy enough job to replace the battery and is it worth doing or is it an expensive job?

Usually you can replace the battery. However the official batteries are usually pretty expensive (100-150USD/EUR). Sometimes you can find cheaper unofficial ones, but I'm not sure about the warranty/quality of them.
ocalhoun
Bright_Sparx wrote:
Does anyone know if it is an easy enough job to replace the battery and is it worth doing or is it an expensive job?

Depends on the design of the particular laptop.
There are three common variations:

1- (Super-easy) The battery is designed as an easily removable unit, just push a button and pull it out.
2- (Relatively easy) The battery is located under a/the bottom cover. Just remove the screws holding the bottom plate in place to expose the battery, then unplug it and swap it out.
3- (Potentially very difficult) The battery is located under the top cover, often directly under the keyboard. It may be necessary to pop off the fragile plastic facia pieces to access it, making it very difficult to do without breaking anything.

And in any case, as Bondings said, the batteries are usually quite expensive.


Is it worth doing?
That depends on which type of battery access it has, how attractive the option of just replacing the whole thing instead is, and how often you actually need to run it on battery power.

If it has one of the more easily accessible battery types, you don't want to replace the whole computer, AND you sometimes have to use it on battery power, then you should try to replace the battery.
zimmer
Bright_Sparx wrote:
I have a laptop and its not very old, however recently if the charger is disconnected the battery lasts about 30 seconds before dying. Does anyone know if it is an easy enough job to replace the battery and is it worth doing or is it an expensive job?


as your laptop get ages then the battery gets also expensive due to demand.. usually laptop battery only last for 2 years.. after that its not more effective. What i usually do is i take it off the battery if i am home..
dspblack
[quote="zimmer"]
Bright_Sparx wrote:
What i usually do is i take it off the battery if i am home..


Thats very sensible.
iyepes
I know many people who stop using batteries, since they no longer work and they don't want to replace them. So they always check having power cord firmly attached.

Compared with original laptop price, battery isn't cheap, but depending of your computer brand you could find generic replacement.
darthrevan
Most definitely your battery is completely gone, and of course the only fix is to get another battery.
Marcuzzo
I'd say, leave it plugged in for an entire night and check if it able to power your laptop for a longer period.
if there is no change you need a replacement.
vicar013
Never had a laptop battery go that bad, only lasting 30 seconds.
I have an old Thinkpad a31 laptop from 2006 which still holds over 2hrs charge, and it is a well used laptop. Mind you I did just see that the Thinkpad was used by NASA in space! I'm getting it out again.

Sorry I have no advice further to that given above. Although I would suggest that with such a short battery life on a fairly recent system it might not be the battery at fault... unless its really old/used.
darthrevan
My wife's laptop is the same way, because of a bad battery. A PC battery would be the same as a regular battery, you can only charge a battery so many times before it quits holding a charge. I have heard that it is better to let a battery go nearly dead before recharging it.
ocalhoun
darthrevan wrote:
I have heard that it is better to let a battery go nearly dead before recharging it.

For most modern laptop batteries NO! NO! NO!

Most modern computers use lithium batteries, and lithium batteries do NOT need to be run nearly dead -- ever. In fact, running them down to the minimum can damage them, and in extreme cases even make them catch on fire. They become unstable and the cells inside can fuse when they're not storing enough power.
Running them down to low capacity will harm your computer's batteries, not help them.


Running it all the way down to zero is only useful for nickel cadmium batteries -- it prevents the 'memory effect'. (But lithium batteries do not have a memory effect, so they don't need this.)
darthrevan
ocalhoun wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
I have heard that it is better to let a battery go nearly dead before recharging it.

For most modern laptop batteries NO! NO! NO!

Most modern computers use lithium batteries, and lithium batteries do NOT need to be run nearly dead -- ever. In fact, running them down to the minimum can damage them, and in extreme cases even make them catch on fire. They become unstable and the cells inside can fuse when they're not storing enough power.
Running them down to low capacity will harm your computer's batteries, not help them.


Running it all the way down to zero is only useful for nickel cadmium batteries -- it prevents the 'memory effect'. (But lithium batteries do not have a memory effect, so they don't need this.)


Thanks for clarifying this, I usually just keep my laptop on charge when using it, since I use it as my main computer. I hardly ever take my laptop places.
milkshake01
I recommend changing the batteries. Only go to proper resellers to replace your battery as unofficial resellers could have batteries that can damage your laptop or void your warranty.
alongkichu
As the official batteries don't come cheap, I 'd suggest you go for an unofficial one and use it only when you go out or when your at some place where recharging is not possible.
welshsteve
Personally I think laptop manufacturers deliberately give their batteries a short shelf life so they can make money on people requiring replacements (just like any other electrical manufacturer come to think of it). Battery life in laptops has always been poor. A brand new laptop battery will not hold it's charge for too long after around 3 months of use.
skaprit
OP, when you say you've only had the laptop a short time, what exactly is a short time?
I think that a new laptop's battery should last a good couple of years, as mentioned by other posters.
If your laptop is in warranty, ie, (usually) in the 1st year of use, then I would speak to the retailer you purchased it from and discuss that the battery has already died!
It could be a defective battery, or indeed the connection that it makes to the main part of the laptop maybe damaged, faulty, or dirty. If dirty, clean with an eraser.
Personally, I let my battery go down to about 20% and then recharge, but always use the battery 1st.
That's the point of a laptop for me, no wires, move around the house freely, and even in a cafe with WiFi.

ALl the best to you!
nirav07
i had no issue with my laptop battery even after 2 years. but may its time to change the battery
firstroad
99% of this issue appears after computers are being charged for more than what they need...
you possibly need to replace your battery
Related topics
The Middle East Conflict
Laptop HEAT
Apple iPod vs Microsoft Zune
I LOVE MY PSP
a question for all atheist friends.
Windows Vista SP1?
Dell Inspiron 1420 - Vista multimedia buttons problem
why???
Linux distro comparison (Fedora vs. Mandriva vs. OpenSuse)
Linux distro comparison (Fedora vs. Mandriva vs. OpenSuse)
Nervous System of Insects and its application
Tips to improve the battery life of your Samsung Wave !!
Ipod touch turn itself off and wont turn back on!?
Laptop dont start unless the battery is removed.
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.