FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Today is Viswakarma Puja

sudipbanerjee
Today is Viswakarma Puja. To the Hindus Viswakarma is the God of Craftsmen and architects. All over India the puja is celebrated.
nepalstar
sudipbanerjee wrote:
Today is Viswakarma Puja. To the Hindus Viswakarma is the God of Craftsmen and architects. All over India the puja is celebrated.

I'm from the Himalayan Kingdom of Nepal, South East Asia. We also celebrate Vishokarma Puja here in Nepal. Yes, as you mentioned we also worship Vishokarma as the God of Craftsmen and Architects.
bukaida
Yeah, it is also celebrated as the festival of kites. I have seen the idols at different places today. My son enjoyed it very much.

coolclay
Very interesting, I love learning about different holidays throughout the world. So Viswakarma is the deity of craftsmen and architects, but what does the "Puja" part mean. What is the typical celebration of this day, everyone goes and and builds something? Just joking of course, but being a craftsmen/amateur architect myself I think that would be awesome.

Craftsmen/women and architects get very little celebration here in the USA. It would be good to have a day where we celebrate the incredible minds and skills of people that create almost everything we use and live in each and every day!

I love the idol photo it reminds me of Danny Mcbride as Kenny Powers in Eastbound and Down! http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_vAIlzjx3_n2zEoOEp8eJpzbXplRfP-JrhySMK1nnJeChz4Lx829sqyOR
standready
coolclay wrote:
Very interesting, I love learning about different holidays throughout the world.

I agree. That is one of things that makes this community great.

coolclay wrote:
Craftsmen/women and architects get very little celebration here in the USA. It would be good to have a day where we celebrate the incredible minds and skills of people that create almost everything we use and live in each and every day!

We can't do that because that would take away from all 'celebrities' and overpaid athletes.
bukaida
coolclay wrote:
Very interesting, I love learning about different holidays throughout the world. So Viswakarma is the deity of craftsmen and architects, but what does the "Puja" part mean. What is the typical celebration of this day, everyone goes and and builds something? Just joking of course, but being a craftsmen/amateur architect myself I think that would be awesome.

The word 'Puja' means worship. On this very day every craftsmen and Engineers worship him.
Wikipedia wrote:
Vishwakarma is known as the divine engineer of the world. As a mark of reverence he is not only worshipped by the engineering and architectural community but also by all professionals. It is customary for craftsmen to worship their tools in his name.

For more on this--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vishvakarman
coolclay
Ok thanks Bukaida, I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the link, I never realized how complex Hinduism was!
Quote:
We can't do that because that would take away from all 'celebrities' and overpaid athletes.
Exactly!