FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USA Today = owned

S3nd K3ys
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-10-19-rice-congress_x.htm

Quote:
Editor's note: The photo of Condoleezza Rice that originally accompanied this story was altered in a manner that did not meet USA TODAY's editorial standards. The photo has been replaced by a properly adjusted copy. Photos published online are routinely cropped for size and adjusted for brightness and sharpness to optimize their appearance. In this case, after sharpening the photo for clarity, the editor brightened a portion of Rice's face, giving her eyes an unnatural appearance. This resulted in a distortion of the original not in keeping with our editorial standards.

Before:

After:

If the media's role is to simply report the facts, why in the fawk are they modifying photographs? The media loves to twist the facts... present them to fit pre-conceived conclusions, often that fit some political agenda (right or left). If a picture tells a 1000 words, I would say about 50 of the ones they published were out-right lies.

Is this a big deal? No. It's just another example of why America has come to mistrust the self-annointed 4th branch of government as much as the other three.

Here's another fine example:
earthchild
It's really too bad the press feeds america's prejudices. It seems that once upon a time there was reporting integrity. seems like not anymore.

Actually it is multinational corporations with interests in much more than news who are running the media show at this point.

Thanks for posting this.
SunburnedCactus
Credibility and the media have been unfavourable bedfellows ever since the money involved took precedence over the content of stories.

Of course certain Rupert Murdochs haven't helped things.
LumberJack
I actually don't really look at North American News Sources very much anymore. I find better, more relevant news sources on the internet or overseas.

I do watch the CBC here for local news, but they recently had a strike and I got into the habit of watching Global. There is also the BBC which I think does a much better job as well. Government run media outlets do a better job than privately run media outlets. Go figure. I think it is because the private media is trying to sell you their news, the government just reports.

Media today is in a disgusting state.
SunburnedCactus
LumberJack wrote:
Media today is in a disgusting state.

Well said there!
Ressurrector
Glad to see you people are waking up to smell the coffee.
BioHaZaRD
This is interesting, I did not realize they were modifying photographs like this and I am glad someone has pointed it out.
SunburnedCactus
Ressurrector wrote:
Glad to see you people are waking up to smell the coffee.

Its been a long time since I trusted any media source. And it just gets worse and worse. Even here in the UK we are getting the sort of Fox news tabloid style [expletive deleted] from apparently trustworthy institutions.

I really don't know where to look now.
johnyfitz
as far as news goes, i think the best sources are the international wire services like the AP, even though sometimes they can be a little shady. thats why its always better to check a whole bunch of places like the BBC, AP, different newspapers, etc...
gonzo
johnyfitz wrote:
i think the best sources are the international wire services like the AP

why do you think that?
johnyfitz
well, most of the newswires are international, so you won't see anything like an "american" spin on stories or political biases. (usually; this doesn't hold true in every case). i'm not saying they're absolutely reliable, but they're a good source if your looking for a different perspective on things. (especially if you live in the States and want to see how the world views you're country.) Wink
gonzo
johnyfitz wrote:
spin on stories or political biases

Do you understand the word bias?

Quote:
a different perspective on things

how does this differ from your understanding of "bias"?
Gitesh
Thank god you don't live in India. Media here feed us lies and only lies. and they do it openly, without any fear as they watch each others back., never seen a media house commenting negative of other media house story.

Here are two scenarios :

A prominent journalist gets involved in biggest scam of century i.e., 2G scam. Her phone tapping is done and it clearly shows her active involvement in the scam. she is heard talking to all the conspirators and acts as conduit and lobbyist as well.
the story is broke by a website but mainstream media and tv media avoids the news broadcast.
The story keeps trending on twitter for a whole week but to no difference in media attitude.
After completion of one week media finally gets courage to talk on story.

In second one the spokesperson of ruling party is seen on sex tapes with another lawyer. she was hoping to get a judge post.
media silenced the news for a week again due to wrong practice.. but relentless efforts on social media mainly twitter forced them to talk about the matter.. see the story below.

http://www.mediacrooks.com/2012/04/media-as-cover-up-artist-for-seedy.html