FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Watchmen

codersfriend
I've just watched the film the watchmen but I didn't enjoyed it much. I find the comic book better than the film. although there were a lot of adaptations..
agree?
what do you think of the watchmen movie?
siemens13
I have also watched it and i have enjoyed it. its really good movie.
mgeek
I didn't like the movie. Nor do I like the comic book. The Watchmen are too human for my taste.
nepalstar
codersfriend wrote:
I've just watched the film the watchmen but I didn't enjoyed it much. I find the comic book better than the film. although there were a lot of adaptations..
agree?

I haven't see that movie but now I wish to see this movie, hope watch it soon.!
Vanilla
codersfriend wrote:
agree?

*fangirling* Ooooh I'm so excited to talk about it! I really love this movie, loved the comic too! When I read the comic I was like 15 years old (don't ask), a long time ago. I remember I didn't like it, too violent for me. Them I watched the movie and it became one of my favorite movies of all time. I grew up to enjoy violence and I hate perfect superheroes (I'm talking about you, Mr Superman). What I like about Watchmen is that everyone can make a mistake and everyone has something to hide behind the mask. I love Rorschach and Silk Spectre (Miss Jupiter). While the first one is there to point everything that is wrong, the second one is just a mess. Beautiful movie, impeccable acting and stunning effects. Is right there with The Avengers and Thor in my top 3 superhero movies.

mgeek wrote:
I didn't like the movie. Nor do I like the comic book. The Watchmen are too human for my taste.

That's precisely why I love them. Very Happy
codersfriend
Yeah Rorschach is a very cool character in the movie and comics
welshsteve
I've watched the film once, but can't remember much about it. Strange film.
codersfriend
Yeah I guess only those who read the graphic novel would understand the film
Iceaxe0410
I actually liked the film. I thought it portrayed the characters pretty well. That is...until they completely changed the ending and the premise of the original graphic novel. That pretty much ruined it for many people that know the original. Granted, I understand why they decided to take away the giant squid since it probably would have looked silly and would have turned the movie into a comedy rather than a serious film. But, I think if they did it right, they could have made it work.
EximiusNero
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
I actually liked the film. I thought it portrayed the characters pretty well. That is...until they completely changed the ending and the premise of the original graphic novel. That pretty much ruined it for many people that know the original. Granted, I understand why they decided to take away the giant squid since it probably would have looked silly and would have turned the movie into a comedy rather than a serious film. But, I think if they did it right, they could have made it work.

I was little disappointed they changed that aspect of the ending but I think it served the same purpose that the original ending had sans the giant squid appearing from nowhere. I just think that including that in a film would be incredibly hard to pull off while keeping the preceding tone and not seeming too over the top.

I actually loved the movie, it's one of my favorites, and I think they did a great job keeping the essence of all the characters, which shouldn't be too hard considering they used a lot of the dialogue from the comic, but the actors performances were spot on as well. I think a lot of moviegoers didn't expect it to be the sort of movie that it is, a movie about people who are superheroes not a superhero movie, and so didn't seem to enjoy it. I know when I saw the film with my friends they didn't really understand it but I think it was because they came in with their preconceived notions about it being an action film and not necessarily paying attention to the character relationships and meaning behind them.

It's a shame because that's exactly what Alan Moore and Dave Gibson did when creating the original comic. They shattered people's expectations of what it means to be a comic book. Unfortunately, the film didn't seem to be as groundbreaking in it's own right. I think this is more to do with the change in medium, however, film is just a different beast. To those who took the film as it was though, I think will agree that it completely stands out from the superhero genre and that in itself should leave it's own mark in film history.

I do have one gripe about the film though, in that they changed the last few lines of dialogue between Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias where Ozy shows his only sign of doubt in the whole film by asking Manhattan if he had done the right thing and if things would work out in the end. They gave the line instead to Silk Spectre and Owlman, which in my opinion took a great deal of weight out of Ozy's character. It was the one time you can see him as a human as well, with his own flaws, and the there didn't seem to be any reason of changing it. This was the only major flaw I had in the movie which otherwise I loved.