FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

funny spam about other hostings

manfer
I have by now a lot of experience with free hostings. I have tested a lot for years.

I must say the ones owned by Bondings are the best of those I have used till now. I have not been using this hosting for too long, only some months, but at least till now I must say they are the best.

It is true that probably hostings are being improved a lot lately and maybe some that I tested in the past are now much better. But that's something I don't know.

So, being the quality of this hosting so good any time I see here a spam about another hosting I just can only laugh. Laughing
wellerchap
I have no experience of other hostings - just know that Frihost has been very, very good for me - and hopefully that will continue for a long time.
Coming on here & posting is a very small "price" to pay.
johans
YES, frihost gives us satisfaction guarantees.. thanks Bonding with this cool ideas.
standready
Frihost (Bondings) has probably the best hosting - period! Uptime is fantastic as well as space and usage is extremely generous. All we are asked for in return is to be an active part of this great community.
rx9876
I have used a lot webhosting(~ 2 dozens) in order to find a good server.
There are a lot server out there with many restrictions,
and they NEVER list these constrains on public pages.
Some are listed in control panel.
Some are not even listed anywhere, and the user will know the restrictions after their accounts suspended.

1. Daily Hits limit (count per visits or per unique visits?)
Normally It's 10000 visits per day.
Some server restricted daily unique visits to 100, when I saw this I deleted the account immediately.
2. max unique file size
Normally the range is from 500K to 2M.
3. max memory usage
Normally the range is from 32M to 128M.
4. mysql connection limit (hourly or daily)
Normally the range is from 1000 to 2000 hourly.
5. max mysql database size
I don't remeber.
6. php mail smtp
Some are paid service, or limit max mail count hourly.
7. customer service
Some even do not have service ticket system or forum.
There is one webhost to enable service ticket system have to paid 5 USD first.
8. connection to other servers / connection from other servers
Some times we developed systems to fetch other webpage information as data source like stock values.
Curl or fsocket to other servers is blocked.
Some times we deployed systems on serveral webhost server for load-balance or server crash backup, then this solution will need a central database.
Connection to exteral database is forbidden.

Vise versa, almost every webhosting database is not connectable from other server.
manfer
rx9876 wrote:
I have used a lot webhosting(~ 2 dozens) in order to find a good server.
There are a lot server out there with many restrictions,
and they NEVER list these constrains on public pages.
Some are listed in control panel.
Some are not even listed anywhere, and the user will know the restrictions after their accounts suspended.

1. Daily Hits limit (count per visits or per unique visits?)
Normally It's 10000 visits per day.
Some server restricted daily unique visits to 100, when I saw this I deleted the account immediately.
2. max unique file size
Normally the range is from 500K to 2M.
3. max memory usage
Normally the range is from 32M to 128M.
4. mysql connection limit (hourly or daily)
Normally the range is from 1000 to 2000 hourly.
5. max mysql database size
I don't remeber.
6. php mail smtp
Some are paid service, or limit max mail count hourly.
7. customer service
Some even do not have service ticket system or forum.
There is one webhost to enable service ticket system have to paid 5 USD first.
8. connection to other servers / connection from other servers
Some times we developed systems to fetch other webpage information as data source like stock values.
Curl or fsocket to other servers is blocked.
Some times we deployed systems on serveral webhost server for load-balance or server crash backup, then this solution will need a central database.
Connection to exteral database is forbidden.

Vise versa, almost every webhosting database is not connectable from other server.

There are good hostings with limits -fair limits- Indeed it is obvious that limits are needed because there is always an amount of people which only objective is to abuse, and if you give then something with no limits are going to use the whole server resources affecting all the rest of users of the shared hosting. Sometimes even not on purpose but because they don't know how to admin websites or don't know to code correctly.

SSH blocked, External connection to database blocked, are pretty normal limits. Implementing a load-balance system is in my opinion out of the scope of a free hosting service.

32M (enough if the server is 32bits, 64M if it is a 64bits server) to 128M should be more than enough. If someone needs more he should think on reviewing his code because he is doing something wrong. I wouldn't like servers raising up those limits to fit code from people that doesn't know how to code. Many times it is used to abuse too. I don't know why people doesn't understand that websites has a copyright and if they don't has a service to share their information (google APIS, Twitter API, ...) then getting those contents with curl/fsock is illegal.

I don't understand either when people ask for more free space on hostings that offer a goog amount of space. On actual size of most free hostings you can have not only one but plenty of websites.

It seems Bondings policy is enough relaxed. He doesn't mind most of the limits and it seems it is fine for him to rely only on the bandwidth and space limits. Though I'm sure he knows how to find abusers to get rid of them even in case they don't reach those limits. For the messages I have read from him in some replies It is obvious he knows what he is doing, he is a real admin not as in most of the free hostings whose owners doesn't have enough idea -or not the minor idea at all- to admin a server and they only delegate that task to software (cPanel) that they many times doesn't even maintain updated.
rx9876
Manfer, Your post is so great.
I totally agree what you said, which is what I should say but it didn't come to my mind.
I shared what I know, but skipped what I feel.
In the previous post, I listed the normal restrictions and some unfriendly restrictions which drove away normal users, but not just the abusers.

There are some restriction is reasonable to prevent abuse, and it's also protecting the server and the other user.
I understand and respected those webhost managers who defined fair rules for managers and users.

I agree the disk size should not use too much for a normal websites.
I tune a lot for speed and memory usage.
I even use SplDoublyLinkedList::IT_MODE_DELETE for fast gc to reduce memory consumption.

The copyright case you mentioned is correct, but I was considering to fetch public information like stock prices.
Each function has its good and bad, and it depends on how to use it.

I would not say load-balance or crash backup mechanism is out of the scope of a free hosting service.
Most freehosting services are not reliable( some severs even downed for 2 days, and their portal crashed too),
so a load-balance or crash backup mechanism is important for websites open for public usage.
(That's the reason we use DNS too.)
Someone might say this kind of service should rent a paid host.
I made free-to-use websites, and I spent so many times to develope and manage for free, so I do not want to pay the webhost or domain bill myself.
I put some network ad on the websites, and hope I can rent a domain or webhost by ad publisher revenue.
grofet
Frihost is one of the best free cpanel hosting in the world. With simple 5 good quality forum posts we can have a nice free cpanel hosting. I have try a lot of auto approve free cpanel hosting but i think it have a lot af restriction that i cant run my drupal cms site. Frihost is very old and stable not like other free hosting service that many of them quit or abandon their service.
rx9876
grofet wrote:
Frihost is very old and stable not like other free hosting service that many of them quit or abandon their service.

That's true.
When I try to find a new server to migrate, I registered many webhosting free plan.
After logined, I found their freehosting serving was closed several months ago.

They just did not change their plan pages & register system 'yet'.
Gregoric
Let me start from an offtopic: why is this thread entitled like that? Smile Don't I understand the irony or what?

What do I think about Frihost? I have used over dozen free hosting services: 3-4 Polish (I am Pole) and few more from other countries (for more advanced projects). Great most of them caused problems like bandwidth limits, not supporting dot.tk domain (which isn't so bad, never made any problems) ads all over the site and so on. Accidentally, I've found Mr. Bondings' service and... it is surely the best. It is the only one I would honestly recommend to others, especially beginning programmers. Pretty fair forums system (which economically works - look at those 7 years!), bandwidth, disk space, support. Everything is perfect - as for service which I don't have to pay for.

Only thing I can't wait for is the Frihost game, heh.
alongkichu
Thats right, there is no other free hosting like frihost and I hope it remains the same Very Happy
RosenCruz
How many hosts does Bondings have ? Rolling Eyes
manfer
Gregoric wrote:

Let me start from an offtopic: why is this thread entitled like that? Smile Don't I understand the irony or what?

It was just a moment in which I saw various spams in the forums about other hostings. You are right maybe not the best title. Smile

RosenCruz wrote:
How many hosts does Bondings have ? Rolling Eyes

I don't know how many hostings but I know he owns more than one.
appsapps
It's not just a lot of the free hosts that are bad...a lot of paid hosting is just as bad, and sometimes worse.

I had a paid hosting account with a company that was pretty good. But then the owner had some personal troubles and sold the company.

The new owners were awful. One of the first things they did was claim that their paypal account had been hacked and that they had to set up a new one, and that we all had to stop sending payments to the old one and set up payments to their new one. This is how they explained the transition, never willing to admit that they had just bought the company and the paypal switch was merely us switching from paying the previous owner to paying them. Yeah, a blatant lie to try to cover up what we all already knew (that the company had been sold).

I ended up dropping them after they decided to move all the sites to another sever without warning. My sites got "lost" in the move and were offline for about 3 weeks. The guy that was running their support desk was quite rude and even threatened me, telling me that because I had the nerve to file a support ticket on Christmas Eve, that he was going to take his sweet ass time fixing the issue.

When the issue was finally "fixed" they had replaced my main site from a 3 year old backup copy, never restored the other sites, and wouldn't allow me to add them back without paying them more money, per domain name, citing some crap about how add-on domains were never part of my original package, when they were.

The new server was very unstable, slower than a constipated snail and my site was frequently offline, and always completely unreachable by anyone living in Asia unless they used a proxy. I am not just talking China, where it is possible that the government there was blocking all sites hosted on that server, but all countries in Asia, including Japan, South Korea, and India. The hosting company was doing the blocking.

I might expect that kind of behavior from a bad free host, but not hosting that I was PAYING for.

(all of the sites I had hosted with them have since been "adopted" by a non-profit organization that now provides free hosting for them)
manfer
appsapps wrote:

It's not just a lot of the free hosts that are bad...a lot of paid hosting is just as bad, and sometimes worse.

Taking into account there are lots of kids -or some probably not so young but anyway people without the minor idea of what they are doing- creating hostings with free reseller accounts from other free hostings... anyone can easily understand the mess.

Even it is true that probably some people are starting hostings on their own without enough idea on how to admin a server. What is needed nowadays to start a hosting it terms of investment is almost nothing, but maintaining a hosting properly is a task only a good server administrator can do. Otherwise sooner or later issues arise that become out of the control of the person that thought he could deal with the administration of a hosting.
darthrevan
appsapps wrote:

I had a paid hosting account with a company that was pretty good. But then the owner had some personal troubles and sold the company.

The new owners were awful. One of the first things they did was claim that their paypal account had been hacked and that they had to set up a new one, and that we all had to stop sending payments to the old one and set up payments to their new one. This is how they explained the transition, never willing to admit that they had just bought the company and the paypal switch was merely us switching from paying the previous owner to paying them. Yeah, a blatant lie to try to cover up what we all already knew (that the company had been sold).

I ended up dropping them after they decided to move all the sites to another sever without warning. My sites got "lost" in the move and were offline for about 3 weeks. The guy that was running their support desk was quite rude and even threatened me, telling me that because I had the nerve to file a support ticket on Christmas Eve, that he was going to take his sweet ass time fixing the issue.

When the issue was finally "fixed" they had replaced my main site from a 3 year old backup copy, never restored the other sites, and wouldn't allow me to add them back without paying them more money, per domain name, citing some crap about how add-on domains were never part of my original package, when they were.

The new server was very unstable, slower than a constipated snail and my site was frequently offline, and always completely unreachable by anyone living in Asia unless they used a proxy. I am not just talking China, where it is possible that the government there was blocking all sites hosted on that server, but all countries in Asia, including Japan, South Korea, and India. The hosting company was doing the blocking.

I might expect that kind of behavior from a bad free host, but not hosting that I was PAYING for.

(all of the sites I had hosted with them have since been "adopted" by a non-profit organization that now provides free hosting for them)

Wow that is bad. I have never used a paid hosting account. I am a cheapo, so I like free things. Besides I do bit use my sure as a business anyway, just personal.