FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Video Games are bad!

ZapMon
any parents or future parents

please DO NOT let your kids play video games
for more then a hour set a limit.

because my cousin is ADDICTED to those first person shooters
on the Xbox and there bad.

i'm a teen and i see that these games are addictive
and mostly Violent!

any long against these Video games and with me?
Peterssidan
As long as they stay physically active, do their homework etc. it's probably not such a big deal. We are all different and have different hobbies. Playing games is not necessary a bad thing.
Dementei
Better the violence in a video game than in reality. Video games are way more than what you are thinking about them, violence is only one piece of the huge puzzle that makes up all games. Try playing for yourself instead of watching, anyone can speculate on a game but to not even play it is a whole other story.

Also: http://video.msnbc.msn.com/in-game/48994718#48994718
siemens13
Video games also bad for human. its also harmful for eyes and its really wasted time.
Josso
lol "wasted time" aka entertainment to make reality slightly less crappy in this super ape predator landscape called Earth. Lot of people just use it as escapism buddy, siemens & zapmon stop being so narrow minded in what is actually quite a complex issue. Lots of people have different ways of relaxing/enjoying themselves - it may not necessarily be what you enjoy. Oh also siemens: any focus on one particular length for any amount of time will cause slight damage, so it's using computers IN GENERAL - you should always focus on objects that are at different lengths relative to your eyes and turn away from the screen every so often. Admittedly this might be more of a problem in games but still if you work in an office or use computers often you are in about the same amount of risk.

I have actually mentioned many times before on these forums the effect violent war based FPS (especially with graphics getting more realistic every year) have on children glorifying the army and getting this "good guy, bad guy" paradigm conditioned into them. So trust me I am not totally disagreeing with these points it's just you need to look at the wider spectrum. Compromise... kids will always play games it's just a case of proper context being taught to them - also an encouragement to use computers and their time for a variety of different things.

The type of person/child I am/was if you told me to straight up not do something I would do it more. You can't just say to a kid "1 hour a day" or whatever because it will cause them to feel restricted you need to law down the law at some points but also give them a feeling of they have the freedom to do what they want to do.

I read somewhere a few years ago they were puttijng 360 controllers on military drones? Go figure. But seriously stop being these super restrictive parents I don't have kids but trust me it will backfire later on if you raise your kids like that. If you totally shield them from the world around them by the time they are older they won't have learnt from enough of their own mistakes to make proper judgements on adult subjects. AGAIN: COMPROMISE.

Just my two pennies worth
Cosmoslayer
Hahahaha. That's why I'm good in everything I do cause I play Video Games all the time! XD
Peterssidan
Everything is bad for your education if it takes time from your studying. Video games is no exception.
GuidanceReader
Peterssidan wrote:
As long as they stay physically active, do their homework etc. it's probably not such a big deal. We are all different and have different hobbies. Playing games is not necessary a bad thing.

I agree with this. Balance is the key and each person and their interests are different. If that's what interests my children, but they maintain their responsibilities and health, I don't mind them doing it.
Iceaxe0410
I don't know...I learned quite a bit about mythology and history from video games. To say it's a waste of time is a gross overstatement. It also depends on the types of video games being played. For me, I focused more on rpgs that usually have references to mythology or religion. Take Xenosaga for instance. That series has so many references to religion that scholars can have entire debates on it. I know because I've seen them happen.

I think the primary purpose of video games is a recreational activity to relieve stress. Not all video games are bad. They can be very therapeutic when used correctly. I do however agree that some games can ruin a person's life. It depends on the person if they are susceptible to addiction. It's the same for alcohol or eating. Anything in excess leads to bad things. The important thing is to play video games in moderation.
menino
I think games are mainly for entertainment, and probably for a limited time only, kids should be allowed to play them.
My cousin also seems to be addicted to his PSP, and doesn't study much, but thats the way this generation is.
I think the Wii is a better device, since it involves physical activity for the family as well, and can be both entertaining, and getting some exercise as well.

Still, each one has their own views on video games,and kids being kids will find a way to play them at the utmost.
Moreover there's always the thing to compete against others to see who gets the highest points / score, and this doesnt just fall among kids, but even grown ups as well..... I've seen this with temple run and angry birds. Laughing
LostOverThere
ZapMon wrote:

and mostly Violent!

God damn, Poe's Law is at full force in this thread. I'm genuinely confused. Sad
Iceaxe0410
I think a more constructive way to solve it would be to embed education into video games. Not outright educational games since I don't think many kids would be as receptive to playing them. Has to be something like side quests or side games that require educational skills. Parasite Eve is kind of an example of this. They had side games embedded into the game that had trivia on science. Questions about mitochondria and things. The main story also implanted science and learning into it. It was one of my favorite games for the original playstation.

I think the basic idea would be to create good games that double as an educational game without revealing it. Basically trick kids into learning while making it entertaining.
drunkenkoz
This topic is completely untrue. I've been playing videos for well over 10 years and it's not anti-social unless you make it that way. If it wasn't for gaming I wouldn't know the good friends I have now, I wouldn't be a web developer, I wouldn't be a game server expert, and I wouldn't be into the things I am now.
blueapplepiedude
I heard one time a video game saved a kid's life when he was about to be attacked by a large animal. he kept on taunting it until he got to safety.
darthrevan
The opinion of this topic can be either way. I can see it as bad if kids are too lazy to exercise and also too lazy to play outside. I use to play games a lot more when I was younger, and I still do. People blame games for things that are done. For example shootings tend to get blamed on games.

I view that as a scapegoat, since it apparently the game that shot that person and not the shooter him/herself. It is the person that pulled the trigger not the game. Those people need to take the responsibility for their actions instead of blaming it on a game. I play games to get "out of the real world". Other than that I separate real life from game life. If you sense that your kid can't separate life from a game then he/she doesn't need to play them.

There can also be a debate on the age issue of when to let them play and also to decide if they should be playing a game with too much violence in it. Maybe the parent of the shooter should partly blame them selves if they bought the game for the kid? I am unsure of that idea, but it isn't completely the games fault. Whenever we allow the government to control the art in a game, is when our freedom of speech is taken away.
drunkenkoz
[quote="darthrevan"]The opinion of this topic can be either way. I can see it as bad if kids are too lazy to exercise and also too lazy to play outside. I use to play games a lot more when I was younger, and I still do. People blame games for things that are done. For example shootings tend to get blamed on games.

I view that as a scapegoat, since it apparently the game that shot that person and not the shooter him/herself. It is the person that pulled the trigger not the game. Those people need to take the responsibility for their actions instead of blaming it on a game. I play games to get "out of the real world". Other than that I separate real life from game life. If you sense that your kid can't separate life from a game then he/she doesn't need to play them.

There can also be a debate on the age issue of when to let them play and also to decide if they should be playing a game with too much violence in it. Maybe the parent of the shooter should partly blame them selves if they bought the game for the kid? I am unsure of that idea, but it isn't completely the games fault. Whenever we allow the government to control the art in a game, is when our freedom of speech is taken away.[/quote

I think Jack Thompson was one of the main head figures of this. He was trying to sue every major company for the distribution of video games saying how they caused all the shootings that involved teenagers killing a bunch of people. This ultimately led to Jack Thompson getting disbarred.
jkaushalya
I play around 2 hrs for a day. But I don't feel it as bad.
taytay
To say video games are 100% evil is to say movies are 100% evil. or playing baseball with friends is 100% evil. Or reading the bible is 100% evil(saying tha tlosely) All thing in Moderation. Me? i love video games! At the right times. If I have friends to hang out with, I'd rather be hanging out with them. BUT, i also live an hour away from civilization, So sometimes it's easier to play with them online. Or after a long day of work after all the chores are done too. It all depends. I would agree there are people with addiction problems to video games... that's when things do get bad. But it's not just video games that people get addicted to. Drugs, TV, shop lifting, chess.. lol. like I said. All things in moderation. Maybe not drugs... illeagal drugs.. You get the point!
ZeytinGrafik
Everyone should play games. I've been playing video games since the end of 70's and remember clearly when pacman was new. I've never had the urge to kill / rob or harm somebody because of a video game or a video system. Its not the games that are evil, its the people who play them. They would find other addictions if they are kept away from the games.
darthrevan
ZeytinGrafik wrote:
Everyone should play games. I've been playing video games since the end of 70's and remember clearly when pacman was new. I've never had the urge to kill / rob or harm somebody because of a video game or a video system. Its not the games that are evil, its the people who play them. They would find other addictions if they are kept away from the games.

Me neither. I never wanted to kill somebody because of a video game. Some people need to learn to separate reality from fiction.
taytay
darthrevan wrote:
ZeytinGrafik wrote:

Me neither. I never wanted to kill somebody because of a video game. Some people need to learn to separate reality from fiction.

It's kind of like when you see videos on TV of people doing random stuff and getting hurt really bad because of it. Like trying to skateboard a hand rail and getting hit between the legs, or doing a back flip off of a jungle gym and landing on their head. Interesting to watch, but I'm not going to go and try any of those things... Loose example but you get the point.

All things in moderation!
slimviking
ZapMon wrote:

and mostly Violent!

first person shooter are not the smartest of games.
action adventures, and adventure games in general are more apt to develop analytical and strategic thinking.

action adventure are game like assassin creed of GTA series, the most successful titles ever
darthrevan
Lets put it this way, if a person wanted to kill or take out aggression, then which would you prefer, a real person or a person in a game? I choose in the game.
likeabreeze
video games?
Not that bad, actually.
Many people make a living playing games...which becomes a big industry today.
Games are more than just games, you have to use your intelligence to win the games.
I know many are addicted to it, cause they don't know how to control themselves.
Game itself isn't bad.
milkshake01
It depends on the game. I dislike violent games with guns and gore. There are many fun games like Transformice that aren't violent
subhan1
It depends on the violence the game is showing - yup I agrees but everything is good if used/played in limits Smile
slimviking
ZapMon wrote:

try some strategy action-adventure game who involve more thinking than just point and shoot
darthrevan
I still say that it isn't exactly the video game that is bad,, it is the person that is bad, so stop putting the scapegoat onto games. If you don't want your kids to play them, don't let them, duh!