FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If we all met up somewhere where is the best place?

chasbeen
Suppose it was announced that a majority of Frihosters wanted to Meet up what would the beet place to meet?
I'm thinking London, England because it is a central point and most members seem to come from there.
It would be at a weekend and toasted the evening as Gmt is 5 hours ahead of North America central time.
That way we could be in connection with North Americans having lunch while Europeans are having their evening meal?

What would be your best place and why?
Josso
Well Frihost is US based it would make sense to align it with EST or whatever. Lot of US members, good few UK I have seen: indians, filipinos, chinese, swedish, etc. - it's pretty international.

Also: agreed because it's easy for me
fretview
I would think it would be somewhere more interesting than everyone's hometown. I vote Thailand.
deanhills
Brussels for sure. I've always wanted to visit the country though never quite got to it. Besides which that is where Frihost's HQ is. Twisted Evil
truespeed
Lets all meet round at Bondings house,i am sure he will put us all up. Wink
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Laughing Absolutely!
Marcuzzo
Brussels is only a 45 minute drive for me so count me in Very Happy
Josso
truespeed wrote:

Hahaha
chasbeen
Wait!
Brussels is possible for me too.
I can catch a Eurostar train from hear in Kent England. I'm 10 minutes from the station and just 80 minutes on the train to Brussels,
I think the ticket return is expensiive, but Frihost is worth it.
That's 3 for Brussels and 4 if Bondings can get out of bed.

Who else and when?
ocalhoun
Well, we're too far spread out all over the globe... for the best avoidance of long trips, I'd say at least 4:
US west coast
US east coast
Central Europe
India

...Then I'd guess the majority of people here would have something within reasonable distance.
Vanilla
I think we should make most of a big event! What about the next World Cup? It's going to happen here in Brazil and we are going to receive a lot of visitors from all countries. Or even the next Olympic Games! Yes, I understand that they're going to be hosted here too... What do you say? We can enjoy two international events at the same time. Very Happy

P.S.: Also for a complication-free meeting we should try G+ Hang out. That way everybody would attend.
standready
truespeed wrote:

Fantastic location! According to this link, he probably has plenty housing for us! laugh
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-124540.html#1025249
truespeed
standready wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Fantastic location! According to this link, he probably has plenty housing for us! laugh

He is only charging us 100 coins per month too,i hope he includes food in that.
wellerchap
We couldn't meet up on the moon, because there's no atmosphere! Rolling Eyes
Very Happy
Josso
Quote:
P.S.: Also for a complication-free meeting we should try G+ Hang out. That way everybody would attend.

That's not such a bad idea actually
bukaida
Well, probably it will be easier to meet on skype or some other video conferencing software. None will need to leave their home. But, yeah, physical meeting is some kind of outing and picnic (WoW) that cannot be felt by video conferencing.
deanhills
standready wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Haha ..... I was thinking of that one too. Plenty of accommodation available. Very Happy
chasbeen
Well I still vote for London, England as the first meeting location.

That's the best place you know especially as we just had the most successful
Olympics ever staged.

Also someone said it should be held at the next world Cup but I was not thinking that long,
I think it should be an annual event and we should descend in our thousands at important venues,
We'd be this kind of unexplained group and it would be really exciting.

Just as long as outsiders do not start speculating...
alongkichu
This is such a great idea. A way to hang out together and share our experiences... how we all started, our journey so far etc. Laughing If this can be an annual event then I am sure the suggested venues can all be visited. Laughing Now only if the frihosters can actually come together and support this cool initiative... Idea
chasbeen
Well all we need is a date
Taking the Paralympics as an example,
that was started by a hospital and the first one was tiny
If we say Saturday 3 weeks from now??
Vanilla
chasbeen wrote:
Well all we need is a date
Taking the Paralympics as an example,
that was started by a hospital and the first one was tiny
If we say Saturday 3 weeks from now??

Where? London? Don't get me wrong, but I don't have the "means" to attend. Sad Oh how I would love to go to England! But we need to start someway, don't we? Very Happy

Maybe in a few years I will be able to join you.

P.S.: I'm open for a G+ hangout. Smile
bukaida
May be a regional meet will be a good idea before the global meet. Very Happy
_AVG_
I suppose we could host an international event on Skype or Google+ or something. Otherwise, we could have regional "Frihost lounges" in countries or cities of high population where local Frihosters can meet and non-local Frihosters can also meet if they visit the said country or city.
deanhills
_AVG_ wrote:
I suppose we could host an international event on Skype or Google+ or something. Otherwise, we could have regional "Frihost lounges" in countries or cities of high population where local Frihosters can meet and non-local Frihosters can also meet if they visit the said country or city.
Great idea! Wonder how many there would be in Dubai though, or maybe they could make it regional rather than city in off-the-grid areas.
chasbeen
Ok so it is 2 weeks tomorrow. I will be in London England
I can Skype on my laptop in London and actually meet people physically there

Is everyone happy say 4 O'clock Gmt on Saturday 7th October?

We will call it Frihost meetup 2012 and it will be an annual event held on the 1st Saturday in October?
ocalhoun
But what would you do at the meetup?

I vote for a rave! ^.^
chasbeen
At first there might be just a few of us but let's try and top it every year.
We will off course relay the results here. The subject criteria will be limited but we would start with introductions and then I'm suggesting we talk for a few minutes on our personally chosen subject.
Mine will be exchange gifts although these would be modest.
Mine would be a big bar of English Chocolate. English Chocolate is very good compared to North American. So what would a Frihoster from North America send me in exchange for English Chocolate?
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
So what would a Frihoster from North America send me in exchange for English Chocolate?
Bag of peanuts and a miniature Southern Comfort .... Very Happy
chasbeen
Ok Dh I can understand the very reasonable offer.
It will probably be about $7 for that. I'm talking about a huge bar of chocolate as well
Are you on Skype?
I talk to a guy from Peterborough Ontario on it
4 O Clock uk time is 11 where you are?
deanhills
No. I'm not on Skype. I'm in Ecuador - on the Pacific Coast in a place called Manta. Lucked out with a Hotel that has been built into a cliff - my floor is five floors below the lobby. Can see flocks of pelicans flying by. As well as hear rush of waves all of the time. Have a balcony that is a generous size. Cost of room is great as well.

OK chocolate wise they probably would go for Hershey's in North America, but I would not want to offer that to you as not that partial to it myself. You're right the same brand of chocolate tastes different in different countries, i.e. Cadbury's in Canada vs Cadbury's in the UK. I've been trying to figure out why, could be the milk? Tastes as though Hershey's is made of more sugar.

I prefer Swiss milk chocolate myself. Haven't had any in ages though.
RosenCruz
A beach, a sunset, cold beers. Somewhere warm Wink
Vanilla
ocalhoun wrote:

I vote for a rave! ^.^

YES! We can drink and party all night long. Alcohol is the best social lubricant. Very Happy

RosenCruz wrote:

See? Come to Brazil and we will have one Hell of a rave here. Dancing
chasbeen
Actually there is a flaw with Skype
You cannot do more than 1 on 1 unless you start paying them money.
You can send messages in real time as a group,

Blimey I thought you were in North America DH, I'm wondering
What your time is in Ecuador?

GMT PLUS OR MINUS WHAT?
deanhills
It is UTC-5 hours (6 hours behind London)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20120925T00&p1=93&p2=136&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=&p7=&p8=&p9=&p10=&p11=&p12=
RosenCruz
Vanilla wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

I vote for a rave! ^.^

YES! We can drink and party all night long. Alcohol is the best social lubricant. Very Happy

RosenCruz wrote:

See? Come to Brazil and we will have one Hell of a rave here. Dancing

Damn it man. Now I really wanna come over. For a nice sunset with friends and conversation and alcohol Cool
chasbeen
So that's 10 Am Dh
Why don't you try downloading Skype?
It's easy...
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
So that's 10 Am Dh
Why don't you try downloading Skype?
It's easy...
I probably should, as it is on my Toshiba Ultrabook Laptop, just have resisted it though and should be easy to sign up as you have indicated. Most of my friends love their Skyping as well - which worries me, as once Ive got Skype Ill probably be even longer on the Internet than I should be. I have now two to-do items when I get to Quito tomorrow for my two last days in Ecuador. Sign up for a proxy account (cant do that in the UAE as proxy accounts are illegal and availability of most blocked on the Internet) and Skype. Hope I can do that, and will hopefully have good fast Internet at the Holiday Inn Express in Quito.
RosenCruz
Some regular discussions on IRC channel would also be fine Wink
chasbeen
Dozen Cruz There's no reason why we cannot have irc channel open at the same time
I will definitely try to communicate live in 8 days time.
Anybody else?
Dh Why are you at Hi?
chasbeen
Dh I will have to find you on Skype and then you have to 'accept'
Iook forward to it..
darthrevan
I would say somewhere in public, it would be safer LOL. I am sure we have some psychos among us that might just try and do some creepy things Razz
ocalhoun
darthrevan wrote:
I would say somewhere in public, it would be safer LOL. I am sure we have some psychos among us that might just try and do some creepy things Razz

chasbeen
Okay my Skype name is chasbeen, if you connect withe this week I will accept and we can connect at 4 O'Clock next Saturday....
Well call it the first annually Held member meeting and I will report the result back here is the plan!
darthrevan
chasbeen wrote:
Okay my Skype name is chasbeen, if you connect withe this week I will accept and we can connect at 4 O'Clock next Saturday....
Well call it the first annually Held member meeting and I will report the result back here is the plan!

Skype would be even safer, though I don't do Skype. I tend not to talk on the phone, let alone on a camera.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
I tend not to talk on the phone, let alone on a camera.
Well said for me too Darthrevan.