FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iphone 5

zimmer
Wow!

In few hours iphone 5 will be release.. hmmm... after 3 month Iphone 5s will soon release.. what an apple market with few changes on the phone and design becomes a big profit on this company.. good marketing strategy.
cybersa
Yesterday i saw the live blog.
It was bored me. Sad
Here is specification:
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php

Do you like the specification?
Does it beat the S3?
I don't think so.
Because Still don't know how much numbers of cores it have?
_AVG_
I don't find any glaringly eye-catching features. Sure, it's Apple so it's always good. But I wouldn't upgrade to it if I had an earlier version. Smile
standready
I am not impressed with it at all. Apple took lessons from Microsoft - make a 'small' improvement and charge a fortune for it.
fretview
Is this seriously gonna be better than any android?
deanhills
zimmer wrote:
Wow!

In few hours iphone 5 will be release.. hmmm... after 3 month Iphone 5s will soon release.. what an apple market with few changes on the phone and design becomes a big profit on this company.. good marketing strategy.
I'd love to hear how it will compare with Samsung III. On my globe trotting trip I've learned that I need to get up to date with my phone and am strongly leaning in the direction of Samsung III. So will definitely have a closer look at iPhone's new release.
standready
You have to love the new "Idiot" phone 5. Does not work with any existing sub-items (chargers, docking stations, etc). Go buy new everything. Brick wall Sweet racket Apple has!
Ankhanu
As far as I can tell, it's exactly what one should expect: an iterative update on the former models. Nothing is absolutely jaw-droppingly incredimazing... there are no surprise new features; it's a lighter, faster version of what came before.

Really, that's all any of the phones are offering these days. It's not like, say, the Galaxy SIII has anything blindingly surprising from its predecessors neither. I don't think there will likely be any major surprises in the mobile industry for a few years, really.

standready wrote:
I am not impressed with it at all. Apple took lessons from Microsoft - make a 'small' improvement and charge a fortune for it.

By fortune, you mean "exactly the same price as the last model".

standready wrote:
You have to love the new "Idiot" phone 5. Does not work with any existing sub-items (chargers, docking stations, etc). Go buy new everything. Brick wall Sweet racket Apple has!

You assume Apple makes/sells most of the accessories; they don't. As such, they don't profit from their sales. It also assumes that they won't be compatible with the dock connecter/"Lightning" connector adapter, which the majority will be.

That said, I've been an iPhone user since the 3Gs release; IF I were to upgrade to the 5 (which I won't), there is ONE item I'd need to replace; an FM transmitter... that is, of course, unless the dock connecter/"Lightning" connector adapter is really slim, which it probably won't be.

I'd say that's not bad really; three years of having an iPhone (and four years of having an iPod before that) and my "buy new everything" amounts to buying one item... maybe. We're not all over-consuming idiots, ya know.

I don't see that Apple used a standard for 12 years as such a bad thing, but, it was certainly due for a change. Here's the change.

fretview wrote:
Is this seriously gonna be better than any android?

Far superior to most of them, on par with a few, and perhaps slightly less awesome than one or two.

Keep in mind, they'll slap Android into just about anything, there's no real standard. As such, MOST android phones are garbage. Those that are designed to perform do so well, but most aren't.
mgeek
Samsung Galaxy Note is more impressive
chartcentral
Not much innovation and new features this time on Apple's new release. Looks like they put the focus on improvements for the iPhone 5 (compared to its predecessor).
linux1993
Now, iPhone5 has been released. Although its performance at the first day is very nice. But many people think that its improvement has not reached what consumers expect. What do you think of iPhone5?
Mr_Howl
Found this to be pretty funny:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFUz6vHEQCM[/youtube]

The thing is, Apple is usually ahead of the curve. When iPods first appeared, other MP3 players did not come close, and it took them a long time to catch up. The iPhone was way ahead of other smartphones, and look at the trend it set: pretty much every phone is now based on a large, multi-touch screen with few buttons. And I feel like the iPad pretty much created the tablet market.

At this point, with many competitors caught up and some of them getting ahead, we've come to expect Apple to release its next gamechanger. The iPhone 5 clearly is not it.
RosenCruz
I do believe that Apple needs a new innovative product now. Like ipod, ipad or sth else when they came out with these
metalfreek
What's up with this iPhone5 release hype. There is hardly any innovation in new iPhone 5. On comparison with Samsung Galaxy III its kind of dwarf. I really don't see much of a change except some cosmetic changes.

I still cannot understand why iPhone is so popular. High end Android phones are much better than iPhone in my view. Are people that loyal to Apple or are they brand conscious or something else.

I really wanna know why people love iPhone so much.
cybersa
metalfreek wrote:

They thought they were great one if they had iPhone.
Ankhanu
metalfreek wrote:
I still cannot understand why iPhone is so popular. High end Android phones are much better than iPhone in my view. Are people that loyal to Apple or are they brand conscious or something else.

There is a strong degree of subjectivity in phone preferences... as it's subjective, obviously. Personally, I DON'T think that the high end Android phone are much better than iPhone; I have several complaints with each high end Android device I've picked up. Of course, the iPhone is far from perfect, but, its flaws are generally less detracting in my perspective than the detracting flaws of the various Android based models/manufacturers.

Personally, I prefer iPhone because I find the handsets are better designed; they feel good in the hand being a good size (dimension) and feel (material), with sturdy construction, and I prefer the OS design to that of Android. iOS, does pretty much everything I want it to do with almost no fuss. I have some experience with modern Android systems, and they all seem to require customization to work as desired... while I used to LOVE that sort of thing in my youth, I don't have the desire to muck around in settings anymore.

Add in the software element, and iOS/iPhone jump ahead in my estimation. As a musician, iOS offers MUCH better music creation software than Android does; my phone is my portable amplifier and effects processor... Android doesn't offer the same sort of quality nor functionality on that front. I'm also a roleplayer, and iOS has more useful table-top roleplaying apps available for character tracking, die rolling, etc.
The games and productivity suites are comparable, so, software preference really comes down to specific needs.
Cosmoslayer
Oh, I can't wait for the iPhone 5S. It will be out in a couple of months! ^_^
Ankhanu
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Oh, I can't wait for the iPhone 5S. It will be out in a couple of months! ^_^

At least a year Razz
Apple's 1 per year model production lags heavily behind the competition.
metalfreek
Ankhanu wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

There is a strong degree of subjectivity in phone preferences... as it's subjective, obviously. Personally, I DON'T think that the high end Android phone are much better than iPhone; I have several complaints with each high end Android device I've picked up. Of course, the iPhone is far from perfect, but, its flaws are generally less detracting in my perspective than the detracting flaws of the various Android based models/manufacturers.

Personally, I prefer iPhone because I find the handsets are better designed; they feel good in the hand being a good size (dimension) and feel (material), with sturdy construction, and I prefer the OS design to that of Android. iOS, does pretty much everything I want it to do with almost no fuss. I have some experience with modern Android systems, and they all seem to require customization to work as desired... while I used to LOVE that sort of thing in my youth, I don't have the desire to muck around in settings anymore.

Add in the software element, and iOS/iPhone jump ahead in my estimation. As a musician, iOS offers MUCH better music creation software than Android does; my phone is my portable amplifier and effects processor... Android doesn't offer the same sort of quality nor functionality on that front. I'm also a roleplayer, and iOS has more useful table-top roleplaying apps available for character tracking, die rolling, etc.
The games and productivity suites are comparable, so, software preference really comes down to specific needs.

Thanks for the explanation. Look like you love iPhone very much. I myself have not used iPhone very much but after few days of use, I was not that convinced that it should sell that much or take that much of market share. May be I ought to use iPhone a bit more to find out what it really offers. Very Happy

BTW I use BlackBerry now and I am not impressed with it.
Ankhanu
metalfreek wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Look like you love iPhone very much. I myself have not used iPhone very much but after few days of use, I was not that convinced that it should sell that much or take that much of market share. May be I ought to use iPhone a bit more to find out what it really offers. Very Happy

BTW I use BlackBerry now and I am not impressed with it.

Hey, no problem. Like I said, phone choice is a pretty personal thing, what works for me, clearly, doesn't work for everyone Wink May just be that iOS/iPhone and your needs/comfort don't mesh. So be it, there are good alternatives out there.

Some of the Apple market share is based on name alone. The fact that they did the smartphone right before the others did means that people still think of it when they think of getting a smart phone... Some of Blackberry's sales are based on a similar mindset. Some of it is the quality of the item; detractors like to complain, but iPhones ARE sturdily built devices, and behave well (i.e. don't slow down over time, unlike some others)... Some is based on specific apps that are available, some based on simplicity... etc.

As for price, iPhones really aren't any more expensive than similar Android, Blackberry or Windows based phones with similar quality and power... handsets in the iPhone's class are also around $700 or so, much like the iPhone.

I'm with ya, I've never liked Blackberry's interface/OS, even when they were the only/best game in town... but I know I've sold a great many to people who absolutely love them. To each their own, I suppose.
Afaceinthematrix
I will not buy an iPhone because I will never join the iCult. I do not own any Apple products. They're expensive, they don't support flash, and you must use their software (I should be able to put any MP3 files on an MP3 player and not have to use their stupid iTunes).

Currently, I have this phone (which was given to me for free when I renewed my plan - which I would have done anyways):

That phone will make phone calls and send text messages just as well as the iPhone. Before my current phone, I had this thing for 5 years (until it finally quit holding a charge and having the new phone given to me was cheaper than a new battery):

I like both phones; they both serve their purpose. Neither of them cost me money (other than a contract - which I was buying anyways). I actually miss the slider phone because that thing was indestructible. My friend and I used to play basketball with it (on concrete; we'd shoot with it); we'd play air hockey with it. Hell, one time I was crowd surfing at an Amon Amarth show and the phone fell out of my pocket and into the pit. It was getting stomped on and kicked around the entire night. After the show, I found it in the pit and the thing barely had a scratch on it.
Ankhanu
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I will not buy an iPhone because I will never join the iCult.

Would you say that I'm a member of the "iCult"?
Afaceinthematrix
Ankhanu wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I will not buy an iPhone because I will never join the iCult.

Would you say that I'm a member of the "iCult"?

I don't know. Are you one of the many people that I know who will always buy an Apple product just because it's Apple despite the fact that there may be a superior product at equal or lesser price? Are you one of those people who will get rid of a perfectly good product (like an iPhone 4) because something slightly newer came out? Are you one of those people who will stand in line at the store at midnight to be one of the first in your areas to get it? Are you one of those people that will defend Apple to the death (I doubt this one because you already acknowledged that they have flaws) and not listen to some of their flaws? I know people like this and I consider them part of an iCult - as I like to call it. Don't get me wrong; they make some neat products. But I hate that you have to use their software (like iTunes). I have an old Android that was given to me as a hand-me-down by someone who didn't mind getting rid of something perfectly good just because something newer was out. I don't put my sim chip in there because then I'd be charged for a smartphone. However, I love how I can take any MP3 file and load it directly on there without any software on my computer. I also use it for wi-fi. I also hate that they are so expensive compared to other alternatives. I also hate their sensitivity (although maybe this is all new smartphones). I have seen people spend $400 on a new iPhone and drop it a week later and now their screen is all cracked and smashed. Other people will buy an overpriced case for it that I'd expect for it to come with when you're spending $400 on a phone. Most of all - I hate that they don't support flash. Actually, even more, I hate that when you make a website you have to make sure that you don't use flash anymore because a large percentage of your visitors will now be viewing your page from an iPhone, iPad, or Macbook (or something else Apple).
Ankhanu
Full disclosure, I'm responding on a MacBook Pro, my phone is an iPhone and I even have an iPad… so I'm somewhat invested in Apple stuff. That said, I am open minded and use other stuff (I have a system running Ubuntu, with a Raspberry Pi on the way, and my wife is a Windows user, and I use hers from time to time, and have Win7 on a dual boot on my Mac for games), and will likely buy other brands in the future. For example, I really doubt I'll buy another MBP if they continue with their soldered-in RAM and the like in future models… that's utter BS.
I have an iPhone 4, I won't be replacing it until at least next year, when I'm eligible for a hardware upgrade and contract renewal… so, no, I wont get rid of a perfectly good item for something slightly newer.

Yeah, there are some crazy iCult types out there… but the same goes for any brand/platform. If you think that buying a product is going to turn you into an unreasonable zealot, well, as I've said before, you have a terrible estimation of yourself.

My advice is to consider products on their own merits, not on the stereotypes of the people you think buy them… the other consumers are NOT important. If you dislike something based on what it is/does, that's pretty valid, disliking it because of a couple vocal idiots is silly.

Hating Apple for no other reason than it's Apple is its own cult, isn't it? It's also a very popular cult Razz

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I hate that you have to use their software (like iTunes).

That is kind of annoying. When I had an iPod and was a Windows user, I was able to use other software, like Winamp, to synch. I've had a Mac longer than I've had my iPhone, and I haven't found music player software that I like better than iTunes on it, so I haven't looked into alternatives for synching my phone… but they might exist; they used to at least.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I also hate that they are so expensive compared to other alternatives.

They're not.
Well, yeah, they are if you compare them to a device in a completely different class, like the one you own… they're not if you compare them to something with similar features and capabilities.
The 16Gb Samsung Galaxy S III, for example, is approximately the same price as a 16Gb iPhone 5; one site I found has the Galaxy at $650 (cheapest I found), $50 less than an iPhone 5, others were at $700, and one was even at $750, $50 more than an iPhone 5. Other similar models are also in the $600-700 price range, pretty comparable to the iPhone.

The other, lesser, alternatives are less expensive, yes… but it's a little like comparing a desktop with an i7 with one with a C2D; hardly fair to compare their prices. Gotta compare oranges to oranges, as they say.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I have seen people spend $400 on a new iPhone and drop it a week later and now their screen is all cracked and smashed. Other people will buy an overpriced case for it that I'd expect for it to come with when you're spending $400 on a phone.

Well, yeah, you've got to treat any piece of technology with care/respect. Mistreat it, it will break. Even with a sturdier device with less to it, I wouldn't play hockey with it or anything like you said you've done with yours… that's madness! I'm exceptionally surprised yours still works.

People are idiots, though… even with expensive things they don't treat them well. Accidents happen, but, people don't take efforts to avoid them.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Most of all - I hate that they don't support flash. Actually, even more, I hate that when you make a website you have to make sure that you don't use flash anymore because a large percentage of your visitors will now be viewing your page from an iPhone, iPad, or Macbook (or something else Apple).

It's only iOS that doesn't support Flash, OS X runs it just fine.

That said, I LOVE that so few sites these days use Flash… most of them that used to were freakin' terrible. Flash can be used effectively, but it is/was rare for it to be the case. Honestly, there have maybe been half a dozen times in the last 3 years that I've felt in the least bit hindered by the lack of Flash on iOS, and almost all of those were in 2009 when I first used it. Since then, as you mentioned, most people have kind of moved away from it.

What is so great about Flash that it's a major issue for you?
nepalstar
iPhone5, I love to have this phone but that's too much expensive for me, hope I'll manage to have this phone with me in near future..!
menino
iPhone 5 is not too bad, but it has some quirks.
Mainly the resolution is not upto the mark as the Samsung Galaxy S3, but not by too much.
The Camera is 5 megapixels while the Samsung Galaxy S3 is 5.7 Megapixels, and has a different connector, while the earhphone jack is now at the bottom, and is a little more expensive

The good thing about the iphone 5 is that is is slightly slimmer, has the A6 dual core processor, mainly, so, should be faster, and also has 2 cameras on it, apart from having the new IOS6, which is anaways available for the iphone 4S.

Still, I think the Samsung Galaxy S3 is quite a nice phone.
Ankhanu
Haha, hilarious.

idiots Razz
deanhills
I'm with Matrix on cell phones and up to my trip to Canada and Ecuador, my very old an trusted Nokia1100 (2004) did me just fine. It phones and can send text messages, and the battery only needs to be charged once a week. So before I left on my trip I got myself international roaming with my phone company in the UAE. And then when I arrived in Canada discovered the roaming did not work. First suspicion fell on my phone as its technology was considered obsolete. Any way, long story short, I was put on a very steep learning curve of new technology. Discovered that all cell phones in Canada are locked in with their providers, in order to protect themselves from US providers. And then at the same time learned about a factory refurbish outlet where one can buy refurbished phones that have been unlocked. And that is where I went. I fiddled with an LG and just hated how the number pad seemed to disappear all of the time. Fiddled with Motorola and hated how the text input is automated. I haven't worked with iphone yet, but will check it out when I return to the UAE. Apple is very aggressive currently in its marketing of its products in the UAE, it even has a Website shop. Have a feeling however that I probably will opt for Nokia instead. Nokia being more of a phone than a Website type device. Maybe the point that was made about it being about personal preferences is the best one as my preference is a cell phone that can phone and text. I don't need it for the Web. When I work with the Web I prefer desktop or laptop.
bukaida
I am finding it confusing and unusual.Please correct me if I am wrong-

Is iphone-5 cheaper than it's predecessor iphone-4s ? Converting the prices from $ is giving something like that. Confused
spinout
When will there be an iphone 5 over for me... All sold out.
Afaceinthematrix
LoL. This is hilarious. I know people like this and this is what I consider to be the iCult.
Radar
It does seem like there are quite a few people disappointed with the specs, compared to the 4S.
alvarorojas4
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
LoL. This is hilarious. I know people like this and this is what I consider to be the iCult.

Love that samsung commercial...
And I don't know, I don't like so much the iPhone 5, It's dissapointing, i preffer the Galaxy Nexus Smile
spinout
still there is not ehough ip5 in Sweden... if you want one you must enter a list...
patoram1
I heard that in Australia someones had pated it to the floor!
siemens13
It was great news for Apple that they had got 2 million I phone 5 pre-order in 24hours.
deanhills
siemens13 wrote:
It was great news for Apple that they had got 2 million I phone 5 pre-order in 24hours.
Just hope they were all quality tested. I always get concerned when there is hype surrounding a product as that could be when corners are being cut in order to meet unrealistic high demand.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
siemens13 wrote:
Just hope they were all quality tested. I always get concerned when there is hype surrounding a product as that could be when corners are being cut in order to meet unrealistic high demand.

There have been a couple issues of QC in the past, but they're pretty rare. Apple seems pretty happy to let demand remain high as they plod along with production, rather than speeding up production to meet demand. There's a certain psychology at work there; keep people wanting and they'll want it more... it's a perception of value, if it's hard to get, it's good.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
There's a certain psychology at work there; keep people wanting and they'll want it more... it's a perception of value, if it's hard to get, it's good.
Guess that will do it! Personally, which of the two do you favour - and which model - Apple iphone or Samsung? Nokia?

This holiday I realized I need to get up to date with the very old Nokia 1100 phone I have. I'm not in a great hurry, but am planning to get a new phone in the next few months. I'm not that much interested in the bells and whistles although I guess some of them may be fun to have. My priority is a great phone that can channel into all of the major bandwidths and being able to do texting. I also don't need a camera. Although I guess they all come with cameras now.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
There's a certain psychology at work there; keep people wanting and they'll want it more... it's a perception of value, if it's hard to get, it's good.
Guess that will do it! Personally, which of the two do you favour - and which model - Apple iphone or Samsung? Nokia?

This holiday I realized I need to get up to date with the very old Nokia 1100 phone I have. I'm not in a great hurry, but am planning to get a new phone in the next few months. I'm not that much interested in the bells and whistles although I guess some of them may be fun to have. My priority is a great phone that can channel into all of the major bandwidths and being able to do texting. I also don't need a camera. Although I guess they all come with cameras now.

I prefer iPhone. Some of why is earlier in the thread, here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1113254.html#1113254 There are some other reasons, but, that basically covers it. Feel free to ask what questions you might have.
myequal
Chinese say that they won't buy it because of Diaoyu Island
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

I prefer iPhone. Some of why is earlier in the thread, here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1113254.html#1113254 There are some other reasons, but, that basically covers it. Feel free to ask what questions you might have.
Thanks Ankhanu. What do you think of Blackberry in comparison with iPhone?
Ankhanu
I've never liked the Blackberry OS, nor the feel of the handsets... even when they were the best game in town. Mind you, I have friends that swear by them, but I just never got on with it.
deanhills
I've always marveled at those tiny keys of Blackberry, wondering how people get to use them with normal sized fingers.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Ankhanu. Probably need to check them out closer and discover what "feels" right and comfortable for me.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I've always marveled at those tiny keys of Blackberry, wondering how people get to use them with normal sized fingers.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Ankhanu. Probably need to check them out closer and discover what "feels" right and comfortable for me.

Yup. Visit a shop, they'll be more than happy to chat about the options... just be keen to recognize the sales pitch versus the information Smile They'll likely have a few demos of the more popular models available for you to poke around on.
mgeek
I am considering buying myself an iPhone. One of the features I like about it is that it can be synchronised with my IPad.