FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you feel nervous with a lot of people around?

likeabreeze
I have to admit that I feel really nervous when many people are around me.
How about u?
I wanna know if this is common?
Ankhanu
Nervous? No.
Annoyed? Yes. I find large numbers of people exceptionally restricting and... oblivious. They tend to move slowly and unpredictably, making it very difficult to get where you need to go efficiently. While not nervous, I'm certainly not comfortable; I get very irritable in crowds.
standready
The only time I feel a bit nerves is when I am performing then it is generally only for the first couple of songs as I see how the audience reacts. Some can really bring you up while others.
Standing in crowds, like Ankhanu, just annoys me.
Vanilla
Ankhanu wrote:
Nervous? No.
Annoyed? Yes. I find large numbers of people exceptionally restricting and... oblivious. They tend to move slowly and unpredictably, making it very difficult to get where you need to go efficiently. While not nervous, I'm certainly not comfortable; I get very irritable in crowds.

Yes, I feel I'm more like Ankhanu. Not nervous, just annoyed. But I can tell that I feel very nervous when I need to talk in front of a big audience (when I need to present my results or just when I need to answer the teacher in front of the class).

My problem with large crowds is more related to the noise that said people make. You see, people are loud and I hate it.
Afaceinthematrix
Nervous? Not necessarily. If I was in a crowded theater I wouldn't be nervous; if I was in the middle of a riot then I'd be nervous. Everything is really relevant to the situation.

Other people mentioned that they were annoyed. This is also depending on the situation. I live in Los Angeles, California, USA. When I'm on the 101 or the 91 freeway, then yeah, I'm annoyed. Taking one hour to drive 5 miles (3 km) is annoying.

When I was working a commission based job at a retail store then crowds were my best friend. More people equaled more opportunity to sell and the more I sold the more I made.

If I was at an amusement park then yeah, the crowds would annoy me because it would make it harder for me to have fun.

If I'm at a metal concert, then I want it to be sold out because there will be 1000x more energy at a sold-out metal show than at one with very few people (with one exception that I can think of).

If I was at a restaurant then yeah, crowds would annoy me because I will have to wait longer.

If I'm at some protest then crowds are nice because the more people that show up the more effective the demonstration is.
Hello_World
I don't really. Often it can make me feel a bit excited, like if I am going to a really big concert and people are flooding in...

My partner HATES crowds. If we are somewhere, like, the Royal Melbourne Show, he 'handles' it for a while but then he just wants out. I don't know if 'nervous' is the right word. I think it is a bit like claustrophobia. It is more than just annoyed.
Ankhanu
Vanilla wrote:
But I can tell that I feel very nervous when I need to talk in front of a big audience (when I need to present my results or just when I need to answer the teacher in front of the class).

I used to be terrified of talking in front of an audience, but I've almost completely killed that issue. I remember doing presentations in my first year and a half of university, before dropping out, then in my first year back in my science degree, and shaking and being super nervous... then in second year something inside me clicked, it was something along the lines of "I don't care if these people judge me", and then I was alright! Now I do theatre, play music in a band, present project info to the public and coworkers, and even presenting research at national conferences (in which YES, I DO care what these people think of me via the quality of my research), and about the only time I get nervous is playing with a band for the first time, with unfamiliar material. I have pretty much NO problem public speaking, and it's all thanks to that simple lightswitch epiphany about 10 years ago Smile

Hopefully you'll have yours sooner than later, as presenting can be pretty rewarding. I always take the presentation and the following question period as a bit of a challenge; how well can I present the idea, and how well do I know my topic. You can't be afraid to not know something; being able to honestly admit if you don't know goes a long way towards reducing anxiety.

Vanilla wrote:
My problem with large crowds is more related to the noise that said people make. You see, people are loud and I hate it.

Loud is one of my major hang ups, particularly when I'm not trying to move. Add in trying to get somewhere, then their movements are an issue too Wink
nepalstar
I also feel nervous when many people are around me but not all the time this depends upon the people who they are? I think Getting in this kind of situation frequently that's will decrease the Nervousness.
_AVG_
I'm not that nervous with lot's of people around but I get a bit awkward if I don't know anyone and just stand there (actually, bored is more like it). I suppose that happens to everyone ...
As a teen I would be really nervous around girls but that's part of growing up I guess
fretview
No I enjoy public speaking. I don't mind being around a lot of people.
sudipbanerjee
No I enjoy people around me.
deanhills
Depends on the people. If they are of the kind that I can relate to and channel in with as part of the crowd, it can be quite energizing. Particularly at rugby games or similar situations. However if they are not of my flock, it can be annoying. Particularly when they are in my personal space. I don't think I get nervous though, just have this overwhelming feeling of getting out of there as soon as I can. And not being happy with any one blocking my path to the exit door.
bukaida
sudipbanerjee wrote:
No, I enjoy people around me.

Thats because of the nature of your profession ( Librarian) Very Happy

I am a teacher by profession and habituated to be surrounded by pupils. In fact I enjoy it. Tension does not come into picture after so many years. But yes, at the starting of my carrier, in my first class, I was a bit nervous. However, it was only for couple of minutes and as I started the topic, it went away.
Vanilla
Ankhanu wrote:
I used to be terrified of talking in front of an audience, but I've almost completely killed that issue. I remember doing presentations in my first year and a half of university, before dropping out, then in my first year back in my science degree, and shaking and being super nervous... then in second year something inside me clicked, it was something along the lines of "I don't care if these people judge me", and then I was alright! Now I do theatre, play music in a band, present project info to the public and coworkers, and even presenting research at national conferences (in which YES, I DO care what these people think of me via the quality of my research), and about the only time I get nervous is playing with a band for the first time, with unfamiliar material. I have pretty much NO problem public speaking, and it's all thanks to that simple lightswitch epiphany about 10 years ago Smile

Hopefully you'll have yours sooner than later, as presenting can be pretty rewarding. I always take the presentation and the following question period as a bit of a challenge; how well can I present the idea, and how well do I know my topic. You can't be afraid to not know something; being able to honestly admit if you don't know goes a long way towards reducing anxiety.

I'm trying to obtain my Master's degree and it can be pretty scary since I'm in a very competitive place (which I don't understand because we aren't even researching the same animals! ). Besides my anxiety I am very shy and I tend to freeze in front of a large audience. I don't care about the people, I don't even like them. But it's crazy how afraid I am to talk in front of them. What I'm doing to avoid freezing is pretending that I'm someone else sitting among the people while another person is presenting something. I know it's crazy, but it's working. Sorta. Very Happy
sunbox10
No same thing with me i like speaking in front of people the more the better. I personally like when everyone is engaged so i can learn more from what other people know. The more you talk to people well people who are smart hahaha dont want to lower your standard and learn new things that other people know. That is how i see it. Idea
deanhills
I haven't done much in public speaking lately, but a few years ago when I had, I found that bonding with members of the audience in advance of speaking, usually helped a lot. Sort of took the focus away from me and put it on the audience. Then when I was talking, I was just informing them about a topic that I had been well informed in and felt quite passionate about. Maybe I had just been lucky as well as I always had a great audience that I could channel in with. Must be quite awful to have to deal with an audience that isn't particularly interested to hear what a person has to say.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I haven't done much in public speaking lately, but a few years ago when I had, I found that bonding with members of the audience in advance of speaking, usually helped a lot.

Interesting approach. I would SUCK at it, however Wink I have a really difficult time with networking and getting to know people in a short time; I'm a bit of a loner or small group sort of guy, and I spend a lot of conference time with one or two people, or simply slipping away from the social aspects.

deanhills wrote:
Must be quite awful to have to deal with an audience that isn't particularly interested to hear what a person has to say.

It is certainly a disappointing experience, yeah :p Deflating.