FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help needed using Linux

seanooi
Hi guys and girls, I'm currently using Linux Fedora Core 4 on my desktop, and i couldn't figure out how to set up a smal office network. I can connect from my desktop to my laptop (which is running on windows) through my LAN address (192.168.0.100) but i can't connect my laptop to my desktop through my LAN. I've tried disabling the firewall but still doesn't work. Can anybody give some pointers on how to configure it?
Arin
It depends on what you want to do :).

If you want to upload/download files you need to establish ftp connection from Windows machine to Linux. When ftping use your login and password from accout that you have on Linux. I doubt if you can login on ftp as root even with default Fedora install :).

If you want to make a virtual drive on your Windows and mount Linux machine hdd through the LAN you need to read something about service which will let you do this. As far as I remember it's called Samba. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything more about it coz I've never did such kind of mount. I only know that it's possible coz I've seen that and been using it for a very shortwhile.
Samba HowTo for Fedora
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicnetworking.html
Samba HomePage
http://samba.org/

If you would like to do something else - please post what. Maybe I could be helpful.

Cheers,
Arin.
seanooi
At least now i can connect to my linux computer. But although I've already set the files in the samba server and the permissions onto the folder, I can't access the file. It says "do not have permission to use netwprl resource."
Arin
seanooi wrote:
At least now i can connect to my linux computer. But although I've already set the files in the samba server and the permissions onto the folder, I can't access the file. It says "do not have permission to use netwprl resource."

:( I'm afraid I dont know how to help you at this point.. If you do connect to shared resources but you cant read them make sure that files have permissions:
owner: read write
group: read write
others: read

and directories need to have:
owner: read write execute
group: read write execute
others: read execute
becoz you wont be able to get into a dir if it is not an exacutable one, even if you are owner of that dir and you are logged at the linux console.

Try to follow the Troubleshooting Tips from the first link that I've posted.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Arin.
seanooi
i think i found out what was the problem, my smb daemon wasn't on. It says
Code:
smb 5:OFF

I tried these 2 commands
Code:
cd /etc/rc.d/init.d/
./smb start

but it still says OFF.

Is there another way to start the smb daemon? Maybe manually?
Arin
I think that starting command needs to be executed by root. /etc/rc.d/init.d/ is used at system startup, which means that your samba should be working after a system reboot.

If this wont help try to search your Linux for that smb executable file. It is possible that you have it on different path, or it wasnt set to start with whole system. While at sys console you can:

$ whereis smb

or

$ mc

mc is means Midnight Commander, and its a program similar to Total Commander or Norton Commander. mc has search mechanism that you can use.

Keep posting here - dont give up. Step by step and you will finally make it. Trust me - we gonna feel awesome then :D.

Cheers,
Arin.