FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

An organ donor idea.

ocalhoun
Okay; two of the problems that I see in our current system:
1: A shortage of organ donors.*
2: In the organ donation process, the person who donates the organ is the only one who does not profit from the transaction. Hardly fair, in my opinion.

I got to thinking about ways these could be corrected, and I think I may have hit upon something pretty interesting and original.

First, levy a tax on all organ donation procedures.** This money will NOT go into the general budget -- it is for a very specific purpose.
Where does that money go?
Every time somebody signs up to be an organ donor, they get a cash bonus. $100, for the sake of an example. It could be higher, could be lower -- adjust the amount as necessary to attract just the right amount of donors. (Too much would be wasting money and making the tax unnecessarily high, too little wouldn't bring in enough to completely solve the donor shortage... though it would still help.)

Launch a small propaganda campaign... something like "It pays to be a donor" or something, so that people become aware of it.

...And then both the original problems I noted should be largely alleviated.
(And similar systems might work for voluntary organ/blood donations as well.)

*By which, I mean people who have signed up saying that after they die, their organs may be used to save other people. People who voluntarily (and non-fatally) donate something would be a different topic.
**Since such procedures are incredibly expensive anyway, a little added tax won't make much of a difference.
Afaceinthematrix
I've always been under the opinion that if you're not an organ donor then you should be ineligible to receive a donation. If you're selfish enough to not want to help someone out after you die then why should you be able to receive the donation? On a side note, I'm also under the opinion that people who openly oppose stem-cell research should be ineligible to receive any future medicine or medical procedure that comes as a result of the research.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I've always been under the opinion that if you're not an organ donor then you should be ineligible to receive a donation. If you're selfish enough to not want to help someone out after you die then why should you be able to receive the donation?

(I assume you'd want to exclude minors from that policy.)

While fair, I don't think that would be for the greatest good. Many lives would be lost for the sake of fairness.
The system I proposed will also be fair. (The recipient of the organ will end up with the bill, including the tax amount, which will go out to preemptively compensate the donor... So even a non-donor recipient still pays into the system.) The difference, though, is that nobody would have to be refused the care they need.