FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Choice About Smartphone





linux1993
If God give you $1000 without any demand after September 12th but buy a new smartphone. Will you choose the next iPhone. If not, which one will you purchase and give a simple reason.
standready
I would only buy a smartphone if the monthly service fee was forever included. laugh Otherwise go feed the hungry!
coolclay
I second that! The cost of the cell phone is null and void when compared to the THOUSANDS of dollars some people spent per year on plans. But I am sure you're not looking for a debate on the insane costs of cell phone service.

My girlfriend (who doesn't mind spending $1k on a cell phone/year) just got a Galaxy Exhilarate that seems fantastic, and is faster than some 5 year old laptops! I would avoid Iphones like the plague, you are pretty much paying for a name, and a crappy one at that.

I just got my first cell phone this past year, it's pay per minute and so far I am averaging about $60/year. I use google voice at home or at school so it works out well, and I barely if ever use the cell unless I am on out of town.

Now lets just hope and pray GV stays free for awhile!
Ankhanu
The service fee and phone cost argument is somewhat fallacious... particularly if you use a land line telephone.

Home phone service, at least from the two providers we have in my region, runs $25/month and up. You can get basic cell phone coverage for $20/mo, or, if you go with a pay as you go type of service, for as little as $100/yr, if you're not using it often.
If you go with a smart phone, you also need a data plan. A phone/data plan usually runs about $50/mo and up, depending on features, but the $50 plans offer ~200minutes and 500Mb. I pay about $65 for 200 minutes, 6pm free evening calling, unlimited text and 6Gb of data. Home internet starts at about $30-40 here, depending on your provider.

In both cases you still need to buy a telephone, and/or computer. Yes, you can buy a cheap corded home phone for $20, but, likewise, you can buy a cheap cell phone for about the same if you look around a bit. Computers are going to run a couple hundred at least. Buying a modern smart phone outright will run you about the same as an OK laptop (one that competes in performance with a modern good smartphone, but IS definitely more flexible) and an ok home phone... and in both cases you're stuck with a $50+/mo fee. It's not a lot different.

If you're paying thousands in service fees a year, you didn't research plans and providers and have made some poor choices.

Personally, I don't have a home phone, instead opting to get a cell phone. Given that I don't use the phone often, I thought just a phone would be a waste of money, so I went with a smart phone... and it's come in far more handy than I could have imagined, not only just giving me net access n the go, but being my ONLY internet source while working for months at a time away from home. It's been incredible value to me.

Of course, if you don't pay for home telephone, that point is a little moot Wink

linux1993 wrote:
If God give you $1000 without any demand after September 12th but buy a new smartphone. Will you choose the next iPhone. If not, which one will you purchase and give a simple reason.


I'd likely go with the upcoming iPhone... if it has features that I agree with... otherwise, I'd probably get the iPhone 4s, and skip the 5 (or whatever it'll be called).
This is largely because I'm currently an iPhone user and have invested money into my apps and the like. Android, while it is a good OS, doesn't offer me the same sorts of music recording/manipulation applications I have for iOS, and I don't find it as comfortable an OS in general. Blackberry has never appealed to me; their interface, both hardware and OS, is clunky and clumsy. None of the Android related, nor Blackberry devices really appeal to me neither.
zimmer
i want the new sony go phone.. scratch prof and water resistant..
bukaida
I will go for any good android phone. As for the data plan we have 1$/pm for 1GB GPRS here ( 3G is still astronomically costly). However the call rates are quite cheap ( upto national level) in India as there are lots of service providers. It is as cheap as $1 for 100 minutes ( approximately) for some plan.
The price of the cell phone is an issue here,in India, not the usage charges. Some plan enables you to keep your connection active ( only receiving facility) for six month at as low as half $. You can maintain a cellphone (pre-paid) nicely by spending 1$/Per Month for both incoming (free) and outgoing ( 50 minutes) Smile
IceCreamTruck
I just got the LG optimus Q and I am happy with it. It has a slide keyboard, so posting this message is easy enough. What I am really liking about having a smart phone is staying connected to skype, yahoo IM, and facebook all at the same time. I did really see it before now, but my friends were happy to see me come "back" online when I got this phone but truthfully I wasn't aware I had ever gone offline.

Another thing that should be said is that it is not worth it to pay apple prices. I would take this phone again over the iphone and getting this phone twice would still be cheaper


Mr_Howl
My Galaxy SIII is pretty sweet, and I think I would stick with it.
cybersa
Seriously i go with Samsung Galaxy S3.
bukaida
cybersa wrote:
Seriously i go with Samsung Galaxy S3.


S III is a great phone loaded with astonishing features. Only one problem is that the huge 4" size made it a bit non-compact for keeping it in pocket. Also it looks a bit odd seeing somebody talking with a TAB sized device on his ear ( A tab with SIM) Smile . However it is 1000 times better than over priced useless i-phones. I am waiting for galaxy S duos ( 4" though Very Happy) which will seems to be interesting in terms of features and budget ( 256).


cybersa
bukaida wrote:
cybersa wrote:
Seriously i go with Samsung Galaxy S3.


S III is a great phone loaded with astonishing features. Only one problem is that the huge 4" size made it a bit non-compact for keeping it in pocket. Also it looks a bit odd seeing somebody talking with a TAB sized device on his ear ( A tab with SIM) Smile . However it is 1000 times better than over priced useless i-phones. I am waiting for galaxy S duos ( 4" though Very Happy) which will seems to be interesting in terms of features and budget ( 256).



Now days,Having Bigger Screen size is not a problem.
Because Most of peoples having a touch screen mobile and like bigger screen.
Ankhanu
cybersa wrote:
Now days,Having Bigger Screen size is not a problem.
Because Most of peoples having a touch screen mobile and like bigger screen.

I disagree with both your statement and your rationale Razz
While I don't disagree that some people like a bigger (touch) screen, I disagree that that's a factor in why they're not a problem, and that it's not a problem to have bigger screens Wink

The reason that larger screens are not a problem is due to better screen quality and material weights, and higher efficiency screens... not because people like them.

Big screens, especially touch screens, draw more battery power, which can be a fairly strong factor in battery life/performance. Big screen generally means charging more and using less. I see that as something of a problem.
Big screens also mean, get this, bigger devices. Screen size with a smart phone is something of an issue; too small and it's not very functional, too big and it gets cumbersome and hard to use, especially one handed. Smart phone screen size (and thereby whole device size) is a balancing act between single/double hand use, grip comfort, and content viewing area... Personally I find a lot of smart phones are getting too big; while it's great for reading material or watching videos and games, many are too big to comfortably hold/use with one hand, and barely fit in pockets. Ergonomically, I find about a 4" screen is the largest a smart phone should go for useability, and sometimes, depending on the device housing, even that is too large.
bukaida
A 3" (Galaxy Y) to 3.5"( Galaxy Ace) is a comfortable size.
welshsteve
I wouldn't go with the iphone as I don't like it. Its sharper edges make it uncomfortable to hold, and I assume it's going to remain that way.

I'd probably go with one of these phones:

Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC One X
HTC One S
darthrevan
I wouldn't buy a iPhone, simply because for me, I will get an Android instead. For one Android is cheaper, atleast some you can find pretty cheap. I also look at the cost of the service. I have a Samsung Galaxy Proclaim android phone from Straight Talk, it may not be the greatest but it works just as good for me. The only complaint I have is that the screen isn't big enough and typing on it can be a pain from time to time.
I bought it for like 200.00 or so.
siemens13
IF it happen then i will buy Samsung galaxy tab 800. its really awesome and it has lots of features and i think its simply best.
Related topics
great pro-choice shirt?
Which is the best smartphone?
Good choice in ads!
Career Choice - Design Engineer?
Whats your views on alcohol?
Do we have Free Will or is there only Determinism?
NFL Draft
Choice or Feeling?
PDA ... what about Palm
T-Mobile MDA Smartphone ?
Create Tamil Webpages with unicode font
Do you use curse words? Why / Why not?
Is there an Age Limit?
Smartphone shopping
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.