FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No water coming out of my tap

medesignz
Hello,

A couple of days ago the cold water tap on my bath got quite stiff so I used a towel and was able to loosen it.

Now it turns (still a little stiffly) but no water comes out at all.

There is cold water linked up as water comes from the cold tap in the sink.

Anyone got any ideas?
Bondings
I suppose the thing that turns and closes the water flow got stuck for some reason (maybe calcium) and by forcing it you broke the connection between it and the tap. I suppose you need to change the whole tap. But then again I have very little experience with these kind of things.
medesignz
Bondings wrote:
I suppose the thing that turns and closes the water flow got stuck for some reason (maybe calcium) and by forcing it you broke the connection between it and the tap. I suppose you need to change the whole tap. But then again I have very little experience with these kind of things.

Oh goodness me... I'll have to start looking up some "how to"s on YouTube I guess...

How about a DIY section on the forum Wink
deanhills
I'd just call a plumber. Sort of the easiest to do. Very Happy
Bondings
deanhills wrote:

That depends on where you live and who you know. A plumber can be very hard to get (and expensive) and most won't come unless it's for big jobs.

@medesignz, a DIY section is a good idea, but we have already too many forums here. Maybe in the hobbies forum?
medesignz
@Bondings Yeah, I was thinking of the hobbies forum

@DeanHills Luckily a friend of the family is a plumber... I may get him to come over and have a crack at it... Looks like I'm buying the beer and pizza
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
deanhills wrote:

That depends on where you live and who you know. A plumber can be very hard to get (and expensive) and most won't come unless it's for big jobs.
I probably have forgotten how expensive it can be in Europe. Where I am I'm lucky. There are many poor labourers here who do piece work to add to their income. Some of whom are very skilled at fixing everything including plumbing and electrics without the education that goes with it. I've got a really great guy who helps me when I need something. Fixing termites as well. Sort of a real whiz!
medesignz
deanhills wrote:
I probably have forgotten how expensive it can be in Europe. Where I am I'm lucky. There are many poor labourers here who do piece work to add to their income. Some of whom are very skilled at fixing everything including plumbing and electrics without the education that goes with it. I've got a really great guy who helps me when I need something. Fixing termites as well. Sort of a real whiz!
Luckily termites are something that I am not suffering from Smile
standready
deanhills wrote:

Very expensive here in the US to call a professional plumber ($125 USD per hour min). I am heading out this afternoon to take care of a plumbing problem for an elderly lady.

@medesignz: Can you take a picture of the 'tap' and post here? Also do you know what brand/model? With that information, maybe we can help.
bossmustang
take a bag of vinniger and tie it around the tap it may loosen up the gunk in there
medesignz
bossmustang wrote:
take a bag of vinniger and tie it around the tap it may loosen up the gunk in there

Haha, what? How would that help?

@standready... I'll see what I can do Smile
coolclay
Yea, you busted it. They are super easy to replace though, all you need are a few common tools such as pipe wrench, crescent wrench, screw drivers, and maybe a knife. Find out what type of holes you have on your countertop, and then find a new one that matches the holes.

Here's a quick step by step-
1. turn of hot and cold main line valves
2. disconnect hot/cold water lines that attach to the spigot with crescent wrench
3. There should be large metal or plastic nuts on the bottom of the spigot that keep it attached to your countertop, you might need a pipe wrench
5. Pull up on spigot, if it doesn't come up find what else is keeping it stuck.

Good luck!
standready
@coolclay: Your description is correct for having a problem with the sink 'tap' but not the tub/shower 'tap'. I am not completely sure which has the problem? Waiting for picture.
medesignz
standready wrote:
@coolclay: Your description is correct for having a problem with the sink 'tap' but not the tub/shower 'tap'. I am not completely sure which has the problem? Waiting for picture.

I think I'm gonna need a torch too... I shall get you a picture asap Smile

standready
From your picture, I am stumped. Looks like you need to replace (possibly repair) 'cold' valve. Perhaps if you have the Manufacturer and model number, you can find some information online (company website?) that can assist you.
medesignz
standready wrote:
From your picture, I am stumped. Looks like you need to replace (possibly repair) 'cold' valve. Perhaps if you have the Manufacturer and model number, you can find some information online (company website?) that can assist you.

I have no possible way of knowing the manufacturer of the taps as they were here when I moved in :S
standready
medesignz wrote:

I think I'm gonna need a torch too... I shall get you a picture asap Smile

Why do you say torch? Can you post a picture of underside workings/connections of the tap?
No manufacturer shown anywhere on the tap?
medesignz
The plumber came yesterday and said it was a cartridge that was damaged... Make sense?
Marcuzzo
ah, the water cartridge. if that one is empty... no more water Razz

the cartridge probably had a lot of Lime ( or calcium ) in it and jammed it up
standready
medesignz wrote:
The plumber came yesterday and said it was a cartridge that was damaged... Make sense?

Yes it does. Did the cartridge have, as Marcuzzo stated, a build up inside?
medesignz
I dont know... I just took what the plumber said as it needs replacing... Is it fairly simple and cheap?