FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Simcity, the best city simulator ?

stblack
I am one of the lovers of SIMCITY and of the city simulation games.
I started playing with the classic game, the first version with no 3D graphic.
http://www.simcity.com/en_US/game/history
I enjoyed the 2000 version and the 4.
It'll be the same good game the new version just published?
Are there other city games that could compete with ?

Bye
Stblack
tdossi
SimCity 4 Deluxe consists of the bestselling SimCity 4 and the expansion pack SimCity 4 - Rush Hour
Best Sim City ever!
In SimCity 4 builds the players not just his own city, but also breathed her life. With incredible powers he raises mountains, riverbeds and shapes creates forests in order to create the basis for his work. Then he constructed the most realistic metropolis imaginable. Through the hustle and bustle of the workers, which can be traced thanks to the new 3D engine in detail, through the traffic chaos at peak times as well as the other activities of the Sims, the city comes to life.
Josso
Nah 2000 and 3000 for me. For some reason I could never get on with some of 4s interfaces.
hitose
Originally I do not like simulation games, so I do not like sims because I think something endlessly repetitive. I really liked but SimCity, a city can build it your own and watch it grow slowly is something beautiful. I started playing the 3000 version, nowadays game version 4 which I really like! When you are bored, disasters are fun!
Tuvitor
I played the utter crap out of SimCity 3000. I liked SimCity 4, but not nearly as much.
silverdown
I enjoy simcity, I remember one i played like it in school which was on the moon which I can never find. I haven't tried to install it on Windows 7 64bit because I wasn't sure if it install correctly.
Josso
Side note for people wanting to go back to 3000. I got a copy of unlimited after seeing this thread. I have had all kind of versions and reissues of the original and it never crashed for me on like 4 different computers but had weird startup issues sometimes (on ALL machines, different versions, ?). Recommend unlimited it isn't much different but I think they absolutely fixed all remaining issues so it's 100% stable imo.
ZeytinGrafik
nothing can compete with simcity 3000.or even 2000. Replay them Smile
Insanity
Anyone else excited for the new SimCity that is going to come out? I had a chance to play the beta version and it looks really cool. I've preordered it already and I can't wait to play. They have made it multiplayer, so that would be interesting, even though I'm not sure how that would work in a city builidng game. You guyss should check it out if you are really into the SimCity series.
Josso
Oh god that's cool I didn't know about this new one.

It looks fancy, let's hope not RCT3 fancy. Multiplayer probably works a bit like OpenTTD is but even more likely they have your neighbours as real people, and they have their entirely different blocks w/ more in depth trading and exchange options. I hope so anyway.
jsk02a
I absolutely loved Simcity...all versions. I only wish you had more interaction with specific people, sort of like Sims but you build the city around them.
numed2012db
Insanity wrote:
Anyone else excited for the new SimCity that is going to come out? I had a chance to play the beta version and it looks really cool. I've preordered it already and I can't wait to play. They have made it multiplayer, so that would be interesting, even though I'm not sure how that would work in a city builidng game. You guyss should check it out if you are really into the SimCity series.

I am also excited for the upcoming SimCity! It is so much easier considering you don't have to do the plumbing yourself and of course the multiplayer aspects of the game! Very Happy I have yet to get my hands on the beta key but from the video reviews, I can't wait to land one for myself!
Radar
numed2012db wrote:
I am also excited for the upcoming SimCity! It is so much easier considering you don't have to do the plumbing yourself and of course the multiplayer aspects of the game! Very Happy I have yet to get my hands on the beta key but from the video reviews, I can't wait to land one for myself!

I'm intrigued by the new release, but disappointed at the issues that it's had so far. Hoping that it will recover and be something worthwhile. I doubt it could be exactly what it was, but it'd be interesting to see an attempt.
subhan1
SimCity 2000 for me Smile loved it!
wombatrpgs
I've never really thought of Sim City as a "city simulator," really. Though I guess that's technically what it is, it always had more of an RTS-style manager feel for me.
Bluedoll
I thought it was a good game that not only was fun but showed us something about world and local economics that play out in our real world. Didn't you love the debt you would in the red when you tried to build your great city?

I might play it again, the new version sounds interesting.
sysna
Simcity is a great game but i can't call it a simulator, a simulator should be a lot more intelligent and realistic than this game.
Bluedoll
sysna wrote:
Simcity is a great game but i can't call it a simulator, a simulator should be a lot more intelligent and realistic than this game.
I agree that it is a game but not sure I would toss it off as not a simulation though it is true it is not a simulator in the true sense of the word.

A real simulator would be something NASA might create but in games I think it is not as real perhaps as a learn to fly old warplanes is but much more real than some shot it up till you drop games and there are lots of those.
wombatrpgs
Bluedoll wrote:
sysna wrote:
I agree that it is a game but not sure I would toss it off as not a simulation though it is true it is not a simulator in the true sense of the word.

A real simulator would be something NASA might create but in games I think it is not as real perhaps as a learn to fly old warplanes is but much more real than some shot it up till you drop games and there are lots of those.

Well, it's certainly not a simulator in the German simulator game sense of the word, but this is true as well.
Bluedoll
wombatrpgs wrote:
Simcity is a great game but i can't call it a
Well, it's certainly not a simulator in the German simulator game sense of the word, but this is true as well.
What kind of German game? I might not understand it if there isn't an English description but interested just the same.
RosenCruz
Cities XL is a nice alternative. Try it out
spinout
have anyone tested the new release?
A new motor is supposed to be there.
worth the money???
catscratches
^ I've only heard bad things about the new one. Always-online DRM (with poorly functioning servers) and terrible bugs.
wombatrpgs
Sounds like it could use a "new motor" then. It's sad about all the bad press it's getting though, always liked the series' origins.
Bluedoll
catscratches wrote:
^ I've only heard bad things about the new one. Always-online DRM (with poorly functioning servers) and terrible bugs.

This is not good news! I think the idea is to get more sales from users so get them online. Not a good idea if it gives poor game experience. Sad
testsoc
Sim City DS was alright but quickly became a big disappointment.

The RCI demand is ridiculously broken, with your city basically demanding nothing but Residential. I played 3 different cities and it was something like 90% demand for R constantly no matter how much I built.

It lags when you're not in "pause" mode and the advisors have to be 100% completely ignored since there is no way to turn them off. All they do is constantly ask you to build Fire Stations and Stadiums. You could have 10 stadiums and someone would be bugging you to build one.

Not having to micro-manage budgets and worry about money quickly took a lot of the fun and challenge that makes SimCity so fun.
wombatrpgs
testsoc wrote:
Sim City DS was alright but quickly became a big disappointment.

The RCI demand is ridiculously broken, with your city basically demanding nothing but Residential. I played 3 different cities and it was something like 90% demand for R constantly no matter how much I built.

It lags when you're not in "pause" mode and the advisors have to be 100% completely ignored since there is no way to turn them off. All they do is constantly ask you to build Fire Stations and Stadiums. You could have 10 stadiums and someone would be bugging you to build one.

Not having to micro-manage budgets and worry about money quickly took a lot of the fun and challenge that makes SimCity so fun.

I don't know, playing Sim City as a kid I always wished I had more money, haha.
spinout
any more setbacks?

How is the grafix working? Lagging?
Bluedoll
I have to wonder about the developers of games. I do know that the people that made the first game of a serious are not the same that bring out new versions. That might have something to do with it. EA is a huge company but might have different ideas as to where something should go.

What I liked about this game was the fact that I could relate to ''real life" while playing. The only way it seemed to me to make a cool city and be liked by the people in it was to borrow money. Or try to pay the debt down and be hated. How very real is that!
Josso
wombatrpgs wrote:
It's sad about all the bad press it's getting though, always liked the series' origins.

Unfortunately the series' origins isn't the origin of the problem, Origin is by the sound of it.

Cities XL is a good contender I reckon
wombatrpgs
Josso wrote:

Cities XL is a good contender I reckon

Hm, doesn't seem to have the history though.
webtest97
Dont forget simcity 4 rush hour.
wombatrpgs
webtest97 wrote:
Dont forget simcity 4 rush hour.

I thought that was just an expansion pack?
romiduk
is there sombody have a link for download simcity5 for free?
wombatrpgs
romiduk wrote:
is there sombody have a link for download simcity5 for free?

Pretty sure that would be against TOS.
pravojednostavno
I loved simcity .... great game! Dancing
Cruxader
Simcity 2000 is abandonware now. You can find it on the internet and play it on the DosBox emulator. It's still a great game.
Gregoric
Yeah, gotta find my old CDs with SimCity, that was a great game! Probably now there are tons of mods to enchance the game - hopefully there is one to make the game work on widescreen resolution Smile

I haven't tried any of the recently released SimCity games, my laptop would rather die trying to render thieir graphics Smile
raskal
SimCity the best city simulator game the only one that I know of.
spinout
Is that semi new version that is selling now worth the cost???
william
I saw a bunch of people turning over to Tropico after the whole Sim City 2013 debacle. Haven't actually played it myself, but I've heard great things.
wombatrpgs
william wrote:
I saw a bunch of people turning over to Tropico after the whole Sim City 2013 debacle. Haven't actually played it myself, but I've heard great things.

For some reason I thought this was a Minecraft-related game, but it looks neat, might be worth checking out.
lemonedia
Personally, I like 'Anno 2070' for a 'city simulator'.

Simply because it's futuristic, and you start from nothing, have to process resources depending on a land's fertility, build up your worker city (progressing up to engineers), settle other continents and the ocean to get the resources you need to progress further while establishing and maintaining a trade system!

My Jimmies rustle at the detail and complexity of it. Also, being able to build 'Ecologist' cities, where everything is green and sustainable is just super cool (as I would love a world where that was the status quo)
wombatrpgs
lemonedia wrote:
Personally, I like 'Anno 2070' for a 'city simulator'.

Simply because it's futuristic, and you start from nothing, have to process resources depending on a land's fertility, build up your worker city (progressing up to engineers), settle other continents and the ocean to get the resources you need to progress further while establishing and maintaining a trade system!

My Jimmies rustle at the detail and complexity of it. Also, being able to build 'Ecologist' cities, where everything is green and sustainable is just super cool (as I would love a world where that was the status quo)

Seems like it has some nice Civ-like elements as well.
neiesc
good game
MrBrumm
Installed it yesterday.
First attempt it did not start.
Second attempt the tutorial froze.
Third attempt i started a game and it kept running Smile
Lost the server connection a few time during the 10h or so i played, but game kept working.
Will give it a go again later today..
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
the old games would build my mind how i think the buildings would look, 3D models and very good AI make the game better to look at but sometimes not as good.

A 2D game with bugs if you do certain things was half of the fun