FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pesky Adobe Flashplayer Updates!

deanhills
I need Adobe Flashplayer to work right of course, so am grateful it is around, BUT I object to basically almost being forced to download Chrome as well. This last download/update was just over the top. This is what happened at work two days ago. I clicked the usual screens as I'm used to Adobe Flashplayer updates. And then my eye caught it downloading Chrome. I immediately stopped it. Then tried it a second time, and NOWHERE did it give me a choice not to have a Chrome toolbar. So I then went to the Website of Adobe Flashplayer and found an option where one could untick Chrome.

Tonight when I got prompted for the same at home, there was an option for unticking Chrome, so wonder whether people have been complaining about it?

These downloads are really irritating to me. Wish there could be a download manager that can act as a BS detector and let a person know what else one is getting that one did not really sign up for?
Josso
I have not noticed this yet. Have you tried getting an installer manually from adobe's site?
Asap170
I know that on Adobe's website there is an option to download Chrome when you go to download it. Uncheck the check box and that should not be an issue anymore.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
I have not noticed this yet. Have you tried getting an installer manually from adobe's site?
Exactly what I did in the end. And yes it does give one an option then to untick Chrome. Interesting that one has to untick it and not tick it!
Bondings
I guess they get a lot of money for every installation of Chrome (and other software) they get the user to install. As long as the software bundled is not spyware/malware or similar, I don't mind much as long as you can easily disable it during the installation process (uncheck some checkbox or similar). But in this case it seems like there was no checkbox during the installation, but you had to visit their website? Pretty shady practices of Adobe, I must say.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Pretty shady practices of Adobe, I must say.
I think so too. I'm sure people must have complained though, as when I got the same download at home a few days later it did have the option to untick the box.
standready
My last Adobe update did ask if to install Chrome but I was able unchecked it. Kind of useless to install something I already have.
ocalhoun
Yay! Yet another reason to hate Adobe.