FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the most socially valuable media type?

Afaceinthematrix
Media types (these plus anymore that you can think of):
- Books
- Movies
- Television
- Internet
- Music

Books, historically, are an extremely valuable source of information. The internet is increasingly doing this more. Movies and music have always been used to push a political view and is somewhat effective because many people are more likely to watch a movie or listen to music than read a book or do any other research. The problem is that you only reach people who listen to your band and your music genre - which might be a small audience for underground genres. Television has always been important as an entertainment source (movies can be played on television and shows can push a political viewpoint) and as a news source.

Which has the most value to society?
Bondings
Definitely the internet. I would call it the most important creation/invention for humankind ever, not just the most valuable media type.
Afaceinthematrix
Bondings wrote:
Definitely the internet. I would call it the most important creation/invention for humankind ever, not just the most valuable media type.

Wow. The most important invention ever? That's quite a title to give something! I don't know if I'd say it's the most important invention ever; I would say that it's the most valuable media. I'd say that the most important invention ever is agriculture because agriculture let humans go from being hunter-gatherers to settling in cities which led to education which led to science which led to everything that we have today. However, that is a topic for another thread...
coolclay
I don't know I think it depends on what societal value your trying to use media for. I feel like each has it's own merit, and could easily be the for different types social issues your trying to spread.
jeniferwilson
In these days best media source only Internet....

Other Media sources got fail in front of Internet.... Razz
Cosmoslayer
Everything is on the internet and most of them are free, sometimes illegal. XD
deanhills
I'd say all of the ones you listed Matrix, but in a special order of preference:

- Music
- Internet
- Television
- Movies
- Books

Except of course with the Internet one can get all of the other media that has been mentioned. I use YouTube almost all of the time for background music. One can get TV with Internet if one wanted to. Watch movies from the Internet as well as read books from the Internet.
Marcuzzo
Bondings wrote:

Hey bondings, I still prefer wheels on my car instead of blocks Very Happy
also, I wouldn't call the internet a real invention but more of an evolution different items combined.

regarding media types.
when I'm driving to work I like to listen to the Radio.
let's not forget about smartphones and tablet's ( also an evolution and not an invention ) are also important nowadays.
RosenCruz
Wonder what could world do without a few hours of internet. I guess it is the answer
allricjohnson1
Now a days internet is the best and most popular media which people are using day by day. it's also very fast and provide so many tools and facility on one click. Thank you.
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Wonder what could world do without a few hours of internet. I guess it is the answer
Great point! Would probably come to a screeching halt and we´ll all fall off. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Most important invention ever?

No, I'd say that's written language. The ability to write things down -- to store, move, and distribute knowledge much more easily... that's what has really propelled human advancement.
(And, coincidentally, the internet itself -- as well as the technology behind it -- relies heavily on the written word.)

As for the most valuable media type... that used to be newspapers... but their quality and use has been on the decline.

Today, either books or the internet.
denishwilson83
Social media is an umbrella term that describes websites that connect individuals somehow. A hallmark of social media is the user generated content. This model contrasts with the editorially controlled style of old media. Social media is sometimes called Web 2.0. The distinguishing feature of this type of site is users submit links to Web content (articles, podcasts, videos, etc) that they find interesting. Think of these sites as social filtering, so that the best, most interesting content floats to the top.
darthrevan
Maybe books in some way, atleast maybe that books tend to be more truthful. On the internet, people can posts things that aren't true to try and deceive people; atleast it is easier to do so. The main stream media news tends to be liberal and not completely true IMO.
Marcuzzo
darthrevan wrote:
Maybe books in some way, atleast maybe that books tend to be more truthful. On the internet, people can posts things that aren't true to try and deceive people; atleast it is easier to do so. The main stream media news tends to be liberal and not completely true IMO.

and why is that? just because something was ever written does not make it true.
look at the bible, how much of it actualy happened...
deanhills
I'd say the degree and events of dishonesty on the Internet are about the same as the printed media. One soon learns to check the sources of information on the Internet, and then disregard them as one would do with the printed media or TV.