FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Kill Ants?

likeabreeze
there are many ants in my house,
how to kill them effectively and efficiently?
Hate these small animals.... Mad
Peterssidan
If you can find and remove their nest I think they will disappear.
dharmin
put a trail of sugar or some bait leading them out of the house, there is no need to kill them! Crying or Very sad

you can follow this link to know about ant baits : http://insects.about.com/b/2012/06/11/use-homemade-bait-to-get-rid-of-sugar-ants.htm
appsapps
Combat Ant Traps...buy plenty and put them everywhere you see the ants. It will take a bit of time for them to work, but they do work very well. The ants take the bait back to their nest and it kills the whole colony.

http://www.combatbugs.com
ZeytinGrafik
Ants have a keen sense of smell(?) and i can guarantee that they do not like the smell of lemon. Just squeeze a lemon near the place they appear and they wont be around that place for some time. You can detect and close the enterance of their hive while they are gone. Do not forget that there are always multiple enterances.

ps: They do not like bleach too.
Mr_Howl
I've heard that cornmeal is an effective way to kill them.
menino
what about with your fingers? Laughing
likeabreeze
menino wrote:
what about with your fingers? Laughing

effective, but not efficient.
and,
dirty Sad
crystalkey
Bleach works.
RosenCruz
Make sure your house is clean sugar related material is not around / uncovered. They will find somewhere else to go.

I guess any kind of insect killer sprays will get rid of them, but you also have to find the source of the colony and nuke them all. Twisted Evil
bluepig83
I also like grabbing any household cleaner - Windex, 409, etc, and just spraying the entire line of ants. It's somewhat gratifying, even if it doesn't completely eliminate the problem. I also like tracing the line back to whatever crack they're originating from and giving that a good dousing of chemicals. The moment the ants come out of the crack, BAM!, smack right into the poll of cleaning agents. You get a good buildup of ant carcasses that eventually plug the hole.
TheLimey
I recently had an ant problem in my apartment. I tried everything, found a good website with help. Rubbing alcohol mixed with water and wipe down the trail they seem to be following. Also you can poor boiled water down the hole they are coming from. However, if it is carpenter ants you need to try and get rid of them as they are as bad as termites and can destroy the framing of your walls.
Tuvitor
Just pour some Tarro gel wherever you see lots of ants gather. It takes a few days to work, but it will wipe out the whole colony. It's very cheap, and usually keeps my place ant-free for a couple years. Basically it's boric acid mixed with corn syrup. The ants eat up the gel, and take it into their colony, poisoning the queen. You have a weird day or two where the ants will all wander about aimlessly before they die off... that's when their queen is dead.

Anyways... Tarro gel. It's cheap, and it works.
Helios
Tuvitor that's a good advice! I have lots of ants in my flat in summer time. I usually put dish-cleaning soap near the holes but it only keeps them away for about a week or two. I should try poisoning them as suggested.
mengshi200
Support!this is good idea!every life is important!

dharmin wrote:
put a trail of sugar or some bait leading them out of the house, there is no need to kill them! Crying or Very sad

you can follow this link to know about ant baits : http://insects.about.com/b/2012/06/11/use-homemade-bait-to-get-rid-of-sugar-ants.htm
Helios
mengshi200 wrote:
Support!this is good idea!every life is important!

dharmin wrote:

Yeah but that may help only momentarily, because the residents must keep their apartments clean.
It may take one lazy resident, such as myself Laughing, and we have the problem again!
In this case it's best to simply poison the queen Smile
setfirework
I found a product in the supermarket that works great. It's called Antz. You put a couple drops where you see the ants. The ants will drink the liquid (it's quite funny, actually, looks like animals gathering around a drinking trough). It doesn't kill them immediately. They drink the liquid and then when they go back to the nest and die, since ants are cannibalistic, they eat the dead ants. When the ants eat the other dead ants and feed the dead ants to the Queen (it's important the Queen Ant dies too), they all end up dead and wipe out the whole colony.
faiz4hack
dont kill them buddy!
kmr_mukund
in india every body use laxman rekha (a poison for cocroch) to kill ants. it is the most efficient method to kill ants.
rx9876
Tuvitor wrote:
Just pour some Tarro gel wherever you see lots of ants gather. It takes a few days to work, but it will wipe out the whole colony. It's very cheap, and usually keeps my place ant-free for a couple years. Basically it's boric acid mixed with corn syrup. The ants eat up the gel, and take it into their colony, poisoning the queen. You have a weird day or two where the ants will all wander about aimlessly before they die off... that's when their queen is dead.

Anyways... Tarro gel. It's cheap, and it works.

What's Tarro gel exactly?
I tried to google, but found nothing described as ant killer.
Is there any website describing or selling it?

Thanks.
brucelewis
i was using some poison liquid
benny7770
likeabreeze wrote:

step on them Wink
Radar
benny7770 wrote:
step on them Wink

Effective, yes. Efficient, no.

I mean, there's a lot of them, and they move quickly.
BadBBilly
I found AntRid sorts them out for awhile, then weeks later i need to use it again in another location of the House, maybe a few of the buggers survives and sets up somewhere else...sneaky!!
LxGoodies

RosenCruz wrote:
Make sure your house is clean, sugar related material is not around

Yep, agree, thats it. Ants gather sugar.. also from liquid sweet stuff like lemonade traces on your table, drops of juice, grapes and berries remains (favorite !).. throw away and seal waste bags.. make sure to dish wash dirty glasses, remove your near-empty lemonade bottles, liquor bottles, coffee cups, fruits remains etc.. make sure you remove all sweet stuff and the ants will stop transporting (these queues of ants running up and down your furniture.. will disappear quick Smile )

Lx
darthrevan
Also ants don't only go for sweet stuff. some days I read the go for stuff with protein. So of you are going to make you own baits you need to offer both types.
LxGoodies
darthrevan wrote:
Also ants don't only go for sweet stuff. some days I read the go for stuff with protein. So of you are going to make you own baits you need to offer both types.

@darthrevan e.g. marmelade will do fine as bait..

btw ever tried to reroute the ants, so their colonne writes your name?

Lx
enilsoncba
ants are the most common insects and populous land I guess ... are everywhere, all over the country, continent, climate, region and local ... fortunately taking some species do not harm or cause this exception in their pain and discomfort bites .. ants are everywhere and we love candy, sugar, glucose ... these among other ingredients are flashy for this insect. So a good form of prevention is to keep the place pretty clean, washed and without food crumbs and dirt ... other ways to combat ants are applying specific insecticides and other poisons as well effective, easily found in supermarkets.
TheLimey
Me and my gf had a terrible time with carpenter ants this summer just gone, they can be just as bad as termites if they really get into the framing of the place. We pulled all our stuff out from the shelves that they were in and under the sink, we then saw the path they were taking. We then got a mix of rubbing alcohol and bleach, with this solution we scrubbed away the path they were taking and all around it. This seemed to work for about 2 days. We keep our rubbish bins outside now. I then fumigated the kitchen with bug spray. The moment I did this the ants started flooding out from under the counters but they were dying. That killed off a whole load of them. Apparently the best thing is to get the ants to carry poison back to their home.
royale1223
It's very easy to kill them with fire. Lure them to some place using sugar or something, then unleash the fury..
quatre044
kill them with a hot water Laughing
zaxacongrejo
what you need is a spray without cfc to protect the planet that realy works
and its called

CUCA PAFF

made in spain by

ZELNOVA,S.A

Polig.ind Torneiros s/n- 36400 PORRINO
(Pontevedra) Spain Phone number 00 34 986 344 920

http://www.zelnova.com/?sec=productos&cat=2

This will kill them and maintain them away for 1 month then if still summer at your country they will return but you don’t need to wait their return Smile it is 100% efficient and also dangerous Shocked so read instruction before you use don’t kill yourself because of ants im telling you this because i know a guy that tried to kill a lizard with a bomb and end up without a hand so security first always or when you think on it its already to late Rolling Eyes
BigGeek
Here is a good and inexpensive trick to get rid of ants.

I do not buy the stuff or eat it, but at work they have the little blue packets of Nutra Sweet, aka aspartame.

I had bad ant colonies at the house, they were coming in under the sink and under the stove.

Brought home a few packets of Nutra Sweet, sprinkled them on the paths they were using into the house. They like it because it is sweet, they eat it and take it back to the colony and feed the queen, within 2 days....no more ants. It killed them all!!!

Nutra Sweet was originaly developed as an insecticide and has failed every toxicology it was put through, it is harmful to humans no doubt, but it is deadly to ants, and I've witnessed it first hand.

I wouldn't use the stuff as a sweetener nor eat it in anything, but it makes a great ant killer

Shocked
jajarvin
Sprinkle salt in those places where the ants are moving.
likeabreeze
jajarvin wrote:
Sprinkle salt in those places where the ants are moving.

I did try this, but it didn't work at all.
jmraker
BigGeek wrote:

I do not buy the stuff or eat it, but at work they have the little blue packets of Nutra Sweet, aka aspartame.

I had bad ant colonies at the house, they were coming in under the sink and under the stove.

Brought home a few packets of Nutra Sweet, sprinkled them on the paths they were using into the house. They like it because it is sweet, they eat it and take it back to the colony and feed the queen, within 2 days....no more ants. It killed them all!!!

Nutra Sweet was originaly developed as an insecticide and has failed every toxicology it was put through, it is harmful to humans no doubt, but it is deadly to ants, and I've witnessed it first hand.

I wouldn't use the stuff as a sweetener nor eat it in anything, but it makes a great ant killer

Shocked

This information could be based on some old email
Snopes.com has an article disputing this
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/antpoison.asp
D'Artagnan
once i worked in a ant infested place, they used a product that came into tiny "toothpaste like" tubes and that did the trick, i don't think those were too expensive and you can find them in most grocery stores (at least here)
subhan1
make a trail of sugar - helps them find a different place to live - and please dont kill them -_-
ibraltan1
It is correct that ant problem sometimes could be very serious. Life could be difficult and they can harm food in the kitchen. However, I believe the principle of being in peace with nature. So if we have a problem with a kind of animal and want to get rid of them, we must try peaceful methods as much as possible. These methods may include the method of leading them out of house using different material (sugar etc.). Besides that sense distortion method must also be used. Vinegar, cloves, mint, branches of a tomatoes could be used to send them from where they are. If they cannot find their way, they will not inhabit and leave the area. Just I want to emphasize that poisoning or harming the living creatures must be the last resort. Therefore if it is possible to find a solution by investing a little time and energy, it must be tried.
Bluedoll
There are a lot of good Idea ideas in this post.
I have a problem with sugar ants every summer. Have you seen these guys? They are so small, like a speck. You really only see them because they follow each other in line. It looks like a long hair. Laughing
limpands
Just kill them!
Insanity
Mix in borax with some sweetener to trick them into carrying into their nests where the borax will inflate inside their stomachs and kill them.
Pande
I don't know how to get rid of them, but I learned how to prevent them:

Chuchi00
deodorant and a lighter, worst nightmare of every ant
Minamii
first dont use pestiside.
Pesticides smell bad and are dangerous to humans, getting into ground water and contaminating wells. Here are some relatively benign way to kill ants using biodegradable materials.

Spray ants with vinegar water. The low Ph kills them without damaging most furniture. This is a great way to clean surfaces while you’re at it.

or you can try this

Feed them corn meal. They take it back to their nest and feast on it, but since they can't digest it, it eventually kills them. Corn meal won't harm children or pets.
Wheat flour and dried rice (any kind) also work. Like corn meal, it expands in their stomach and bursts them, resulting in a death slightly less nasty than being boiled alive. Laughing
mshafiq
I think with ant killer.now a days there are lot of varieties of insect killer in the market.
BigGeek
jmraker wrote:
BigGeek wrote:

Shocked

This information could be based on some old email
Snopes.com has an article disputing this
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/antpoison.asp

So I went and read the snopes article, and they disputed the use of Nutra Sweet as an ant poison. OK I can handle that. But I have to say that from my own experience it worked. The ants left and never came back. They do say in the article that many substances can be used as ant deterrent and they conducted their study on an ant farm and said that it did not affect the ants.

While this may be true, my personal experience is that it worked and the ants left the house. If it didn't kill them fine, the goal was to get rid of them and that it did.

As far as the substance being originally developed as a pesticide may be an urban legend but the one fact about the substance that bears true is that aspertame never passed one toxicology study yet was still approved by the US FDA. Not to mention the fact that they US CDC has a list of numerous aliments attributed to aspertame toxicity.

So maybe it wasn't developed as a pesticide, maybe it doesn't kill the ants only deters them, even so, I'm still not going to eat the crap, and no matter how many articles dispute claims about the substance from my perspective the crap is only good as a bug deterrent and something I would never eat as a sweetener.

Anyway, hope the original poster got rid of his ants!!!
Insanity
I would advise you just keep everything clean and the ants will run away. They are attracted to dirty things and oils and sugars, so if you keep things clean, you won't have the problem. Otherwise, putting cinnamon and tumeric around the area will deter them.
DesquisiadoMoral
You should be everything clean, after that you can use some product that contain Permetryn around its holes, push away every sweet thing, foods, in your house. That's the way I do for that. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
mshafiq
I think it is hard work to kill them if they are a lot.I had in my house so i used daily ant killer spray.It takes time but eventually they finish but to finish cockroaches when they are in your house its really hard as they multiply a lot.so it is really very hard to finish them as i had experience.
mshafiq
I used poising material.I was using regularly.I did not miss even a single day from starting point.It takes time but finely they finished.
playfungames
When I was small, I used to insert a small stem from a plant into their hole. A lot of ants would bite and cling to the stem and I would take them somewhere else and leave them. I think a lot of their population decreased this way. It was purely evil and noone should do it.

If you are trying to get them, find their nest and plaster over it. That would work.
Pippo90
Burn them with fire!
ruiping
likeabreeze wrote:

you can put some sugar at somewhere in your house,ants will gather to the sugar,then you can use boiled water to kill them.
tonberry
I was once told that high kicks to the groin work wonders against ants. Even the most pesky ones, but the exception is Queen Ant. You'll need Jean-Claude Van Damme for that job.
donoob88x
ants multiplies very fast. i usually kill them by using a tape, like a packaging tape, i tape them, i let them stick on the tape, then they would not resist, they could not get away from it. But what i amaze is that when i cleared them in the wall, they came back, new set of soldiers crawling in the wall in just an hour i think, lols
fuzzkaizer
accidentally i came across a video-clip that reminded me instantly of this thread -
now there must be at least 50 ways to kill your ants, one of them is:
anthill-art
there are guys casting molten aluminum into the opening of the ant-colony, and lateron they dig out a huge cast "weighing 17.9 lbs. and reaching a depth of 18 inches." out of the earth...
it has a fascintating structure and is exposed as piece of art.
¥
after that you'll see there are a several of guys doing clips of that, so it might be allready a common practise?
ElSouq
It depends on the type of ants. We have a fire ant problem here and what we do is mixed borax with sugar (1 parts to 8 parts) and a little water to make a sticky paste, then smear it near their holes. It usually kills them in a month or so.

I've heard that diatomaceous earth will do it as well, but I've never needed it.

A quick fix is just to use soapy water and dump it wherever you see ants. Soap kills ants almost instantly. But this only kills the ones you see, not the queen down in the mound which will just keep producing more ants.