FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can somebody tell me the defference of ...

alin
Can somebody tell me the defference of dual-core processors and Hyper-Threading Technology?
As my understanding, the Hyper-Threading is simular to Dual-core, and the dual-core processors is real Dual-core.
but I get the information from www.intel.com, that now the CPU

"Supports dual-core processors with Hyper-Threading Technology:
Ability to manage four software threads simultaneously, enabling increased system responsiveness and performance for multi-tasking."

I get mess, it is means those type CPU has 2real and 2 simular processors?
SoftStag
alin wrote:
Can somebody tell me the defference of dual-core processors and Hyper-Threading Technology?
As my understanding, the Hyper-Threading is simular to Dual-core, and the dual-core processors is real Dual-core.

Ability to manage four software threads simultaneously, enabling increased system responsiveness and performance for multi-tasking."

You are pretty much right. Hyper-Threading (HT) uses a single processor core to simulate 2 processors. This can give a performance benefit if the software is written to take advantage of this. Here is some info worth looking at on HT:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021227/
mwm
Correct. The major thing to be aware of is the SOFTWARE must be written in a way that allows it to split its 'threads' accross multiple CPU's. This is a 'multi-threaded' application. Most modern OS's are multi-threaded but many applications are not. If an app is multi-threaded it will be noted as sucj somewhere in the packaging or other docs...

-mwm
Evil Homer
Watch this movie at intels page....
It΄s explains it pretty well Very Happy

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/dual-core/demo/popup/dualcore.swf
bananaphone
Dual Core means there are two actual cores on the one chip - Hyper Threading means there is one core split into two virtual/simulated cores.
cokdes
Hyperthreading in dual core...

wow,.. means that 1 processor can run 4 threads in same time simultants?
kv
cokdes wrote:
Hyperthreading in dual core...

wow,.. means that 1 processor can run 4 threads in same time simultants?

Yes. But there is a small difference. In HT, it doesn't run 2 threads simultaneously, but it uses the resources which are left by one thread unused to "creep" the second thread in. This way second thread finishes much faster, but it is lot different than running in it's own processor space.
mark
I don't know much about this but I know that Dual Core processors allow you to work on two heavy applications (which take up a lot of resources) with the same performance of the computer.

AMD has developed a new HyperTransport technology which is kind of the same to Intel's Hyper Threading.
mOrpheuS
mark wrote:
AMD has developed a new HyperTransport technology which is kind of the same to Intel's Hyper Threading.

HyperTransport is a bus technology (AMD implements it as a FSB/PCI-bridge replacement)
Hyper Threading is a processor technology.

They have nothing in common.
shishir_bit
alin wrote:

Hyper-Threading and Dual core seems to be similer but it is not.
Hyper threading creates a virtual processer for the processing of data it uses the concept of programming no exact hardware (another processor) is present there. the mother board is desigened such that they together with the operation system uses threading technique to solve the task.

Duel-core processor chip means a motherboard uses a processor which having two processing core with in it which shares their tasks to compllete the jobs it really fast .... it is simply a single chip with two processor build in it....... what a great technology